I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10LFW) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
The DC RAINMAKER PODCAST
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- After three hours of rollerblading I've decided cobbles (and various cobble cousins) are simply miserable. http://t.co/cmeqS27zlk #, 11 hours ago
- LIVE on #Periscope: Me and a few thousand other rollerbladers roaming Paris by night. #ParisRoller https://t.co/bZTDAZgBrz #, 13 hours ago
- RT @TheRaceRadio: Ferrari investigation dropped with no charges http://t.co/RUiywMYRrH “They are all strong without me. Did you see the Tour de France?” #, 17 hours ago
- Data gone wild: The TdF 2015 comprehensive list of Strava & TrainingPeaks pro uploads by stage: http://t.co/vsuicTez66 #, 17 hours ago
- @Rumpledhasher Wow, that's pretty crazy. The Hero4's actually have a semi-silent Bluetooth Smart enablement on it too. Wonder if that's it #, 18 hours ago
- @UVAMFD Yeah. Are you looking to do more of a multisport activity then, versus two separate ones? #, 19 hours ago
- Nifty: Recon Jet gets GoPro control app: http://t.co/cWCYzgkyXl #, 19 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Winter 2014-2015 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2015 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) 2015 list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Tag Archives: Interbike
This morning I spent a good bit of time getting to try out the BKOOL trainer, which is a resistance controlled trainer that enables you to create and ride specific workouts while automatically changing the resistance/load based on the terrain … Read More Here
Since there’s been a huge response on my StageONE power meter post (read: a ton of questions and a whole lot of people viewing it), I went ahead and sat down with the guys last night and walked through every … Read More Here
Today I had a bit of time to spend checking out the newly announced ICEdot system, which will help automatically notify emergency contacts in the event of an accident while on your bike. The system is a combination of a … Read More Here
Every year at Interbike one of the coolest non-showfloor events to head up to see CrossVegas, which is a huge Cyclocross event that takes place on Wednesday evening – about a 15 or so minute drive from the Las Vegas … Read More Here
This morning, Stages Cycling announced a new crank-based power meter, StageONE, which will be available for $699US. The power meter includes both ANT+ and Bluetooth Low Energy (BTLE/BLE/Bluetooth Smart), allowing you to connect to any of the ANT+ power meter … Read More Here
Like all trade shows and conferences, half the battle is getting someone to just stop in your booth. Once you’ve succeeded on that front, you can begin to engage (read: sucker) that individual on what your product is. At Interbike … Read More Here
This past Wednesday morning some of the industries brightest power and aerodynamic minds came together at Interbike to present a free seminar. The agenda included: Josh Poertner, Zipp Technical Director, and Jim Meyer, Quarq’s founder and Chief Engineer, delivering the … Read More Here
(Above: The shipping/retail box for Keo Power) By most accounts, the Polar/Look Keo Power pedal based power meter system is the closest pedal based power meter to public availability. In fact, some units are now available at a few shops … Read More Here
Ray’s Note: Like the previous two days – The Girl has been including her take on the show floor by covering the non sports technology goods. Here’s her post. For the last day of interbike I thought I would keep … Read More Here
(First Note: This post is meant to compliment the non-sports technology Day 2 overview that The Girl posted a bit earlier here.) (Secondary Note: Yesterday I took all the questions everyone asked in the comments section of the Garmin Vector … Read More Here
A look at rear-facing cameras for bike safety (and a pair of camera sunglasses)–Cerevellum, Owl 360 & Pivothead
Many have previously heard about a company called Cerevellum that’s been putting together a rear-facing camera system that ties into a bike computer. The goal of their system was to design a ‘black box’ type platform that records the video … Read More Here
Ray’s note: The Girl put this post together, based on her wanderings around the massive show floor. Hope you enjoy! If you haven’t realized by now, Interbike is one very large conglomeration of organized chaos with a whole lot of … Read More Here
Last year when I was at Interbike I had the chance to sit down with Barry Redmond of Brim Brothers and talk about his work on their cleat-based power meter. At the time the meeting was conducted in a closed … Read More Here
Ray’s note: The Girl put this post together, based on her time spent at the Outdoor Demo. Hope you enjoy! During the first few minutes of the outdoor demo on Tuesday I came upon a booth that immediately caught my … Read More Here
[Please Note: Garmin Vector has been released, you can see my first look at it here. In the interest of keeping things clean, I’ve disabled new comments here, and all comments should head over to that post. Thanks!] Without question the … Read More Here
Now that some of the hype has died down a bit from Interbike, it’s time to take a look at what exactly all these vendors have promised…and which ones might actually meet their promises. But as is always the case, … Read More Here