I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10JKW) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @MisterGilmore Correct. I see a delay as inevitable. On the bright side, Vivofit2 units arrived today at Clever Training. #, 8 mins ago
- @abussey1 Regrettably, I'm not in Martinique. Odd that Twitter thinks I'm there. :/ Wishful thinking perhaps! #, 48 mins ago
- The Stryd running power meter launched yesterday on Kickstarter. Since then, it's climbed through $100K in funding. https://t.co/jf3cWM7hP9 #, 2 hours ago
- @jasosnay Haha, no, I've been out of the country most nights. #, 2 hours ago
- Pebble announces powered Smartstrap extensibility support for Pebble Time, along with some hands-on Steel thoughts: http://t.co/AMQkeDeujs #, 5 hours ago
- @alemaodh ANT+ doesn't transmit through water (neither does Bluetooth Smart), so no caching in current straps. #, 5 hours ago
- Suunto announces new Ambit3 Run, colored HR straps, workout creator and more: http://t.co/84yCkN4iXm #, 5 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Winter 2014-2015 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Author Archives: DC Rainmaker
It’s only been a week since Pebble’s last announcement, the new Pebble Time. That watch blasted through nearly $11M in Kickstarter sales through the end of the first weekend. Now, Pebble has made another announcement while at MWC in Barcelona … Read More Here
Suunto has announced their latest watch onto the market, the Ambit3 Run. This watch follows in the footsteps of the Ambit2/2S/2R variants whereby Suunto takes an existing watch and then produces a variant of it specifically focused on the running … Read More Here
It’s been a few months now since Fitbit announced and then subsequently released their Fitbit Charge and Charge HR units. At the same time, they announced the Fitbit Surge GPS (which I’ve already reviewed here). For this post though, we’ll … Read More Here
With Valentine’s Day landing this past weekend, I figured it was the perfect time to give something away. Except, instead of just one something, I went for a double: Two somethings! The winner could choose two gadgets from Clever Training, … Read More Here
When the Garmin FR620 first came out about 18 months ago, it brought with it the Garmin HRM-RUN strap. That strap added what Garmin called ‘Running Dynamics’ data, which consisted of a few different running related metrics. At the time, … Read More Here
Yesterday GoPro pushed out updates for their Hero4 lineup of cameras (the Hero4 Black and Hero4 Silver). These firmware updates, while announced back in January at CES, edge GoPro further ahead of competitors in certain categories, while bringing them up … Read More Here
A bit of background: Apparently someone at Under Armour had a bit of spare cash lying around today, and decided to go on a bit of a pre-Valentine’s Day spending spree. Today, they bought not just MyFitnessPal, but also Endomondo. … Read More Here
There’s been a ton of interest as of late in using drones within sports. This interest comes from many different angles. First is the more traditional approach of simply using the unmanned aerial vehicle as a platform for videography and … Read More Here
This past weekend I spent three days using the Zeal HD2 goggles. These goggles have a built-in action camera in the upper edge of them, making them potentially perfect for recording your slope adventures. It includes both photo and video … Read More Here
Since Polar announced the V800 triathlon watch at CES 2014 (just over a year ago), there’s been a steady stream of firmware updates to the unit increasing functionality of the multisport watch. At the same time, there have also been a … Read More Here
In December a Boulder based company with only a handful of employees announced that they had put together a running power meter. They’d taken the same concepts from the cycling world, but moved it into the running world. In doing … Read More Here
The ability to stream in real time (live) video footage from action cams remains a bit of the holy grail of sports action. Today, 99.99% of what you see on TV is done via broadcast quality cameras and equipment, with … Read More Here