I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
Wanna support DCR?
You'll support the site, and get ad-free DCR! Plus, you'll be more awesome. Click above for all the details.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10MHD) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
The DC RAINMAKER PODCAST
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- I posted new YouTube video with pre/during/post ride analysis of the PowerPod. Also, goats make cameo at ~2:55: https://t.co/Tot4zz4ijB #, 48 mins ago
- Week in Review Link Love! From RunKeeper being snatched up, to someone running a 1:11 half-marathon w/stroller: https://t.co/pMSLPuXfmH #, 1 hour ago
- @fatcyclist And technically, there's two nuclear options. The secondary USB plug-in while holding lap is when times get even more desperate. #, 19 hours ago
- @fatcyclist Short reset or full hard reset back to factory? #, 19 hours ago
- @kurtt74 No, next few weeks pretty busy travel wise, so at home for this week ahead. #, 23 hours ago
- Truth or Dare wheel in the middle of London Heathrow T5, in case of flight delay. Streaking likely frowned upon. https://t.co/FlMO29YGS4 #, 24 hours ago
- RT @cyclingweekly: Lawson Craddock’s Malteser trick is something you should definitely not try at home (video) https://t.co/6eeDoxcO2H https://t.co/bPnf1gY1ij #, 24 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Winter 2015-2016 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2015 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) 2015 list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Author Archives: Ray Maker
Today Fitbit announced their latest activity tracker – the Fitbit Alta. This unit is effectively a replacement for the existing Fitbit Charge (or previous to that, the Force). However, unlike those, this unit sports smartphone notifications, move reminders, and the ability … Read More Here
(Updated 11AM US Eastern Time Feb 1st with SRM addition) The power meters prices be fallin’ again, and the snow and ice hasn’t even thawed yet on winter. Here’s what’s been dropping. Pioneer Price Drops: Today Pioneer dropped their power … Read More Here
This past fall Microsoft released their second activity tracker, the Microsoft Band 2 – near exactly one year after they released the original Microsoft Band. This new Band tweaks the sizing a bit and cleans up much of the exterior … Read More Here
Yesterday I grabbed an early morning flight to ISPO, in Munich, to check out the massive sports-focused show. Anything and everything to do with sports was there, spread out over a convention floor area that would make Eurobike look like your average … Read More Here
Here’s the latest and greatest from the land of…well…me? 1) Reverse Unboxing Sometimes, unboxing comes after product usage. As strange as that may seem. Occasionally I’ll get final products without boxes. Either because the boxes weren’t ready yet, because I … Read More Here
Back in September BSX announced their Gen2 version of the BSX Insight device, which determines your lactate threshold without any invasive pricking for blood. More relevant to the Gen2 version though is that they introduced the ability to broadcast and … Read More Here
Back about two months ago, Garmin announced their first wrist activity tracker (non-watch) with optical HR capabilities, the Vivosmart HR. The Vivosmart HR was designed to build upon the release of the Vivosmart a year earlier. Essentially it’s a daily … Read More Here
My week at CES is structured around an extensive amount of walking, talking, and photographing. Which might lead you to believe there’s also an extensive amount of writing, but that tends not to be the case. Instead, I pick and … Read More Here
By some stroke of complete and total coincidence, a friend of mine called me last Wednesday morning and asked about the Peloton bike system. You may remember the company from about 2.5 years ago when they first launched into the … Read More Here
This week at CES, folks got their first look at the now final production units of the long-awaited Bragi Dash. The company began shipping development kits a bit ago, but only just now is working to get the first few … Read More Here
One tiny step at a time Wahoo is slowly increasing their fitness related turf. This week at CES, they announced the GymConnect System, which allows you to control your treadmill and get it talking over ANT+ & Bluetooth Smart to … Read More Here
For the San Francisco based firm Fitbit, yesterday was likely the mother of all bad roller-coasters. They started off the morning at 7:30AM with a packed press room in the Las Vegas Mandalay Bay Convention Center with the launch of … Read More Here
Over the last few weeks I have charged a water bottle, charged a pair of sunglasses, and most recently – ‘turned on’ a pair of running shoes. As part of today’s HealthBox announcement, Under Armour is announcing the next generation … Read More Here
Today Under Armour has announced a flotilla of fitness products, likely to take the cake for the most unique fitness products announced by one company at the show this week. They’ve done so by partnering with HTC and delivering a … Read More Here