I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
Wanna support DCR?
You'll support the site, and get ad-free DCR! Plus, you'll be more awesome. Click above for all the details.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10MHD) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
The DC RAINMAKER PODCAST
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @APrupas @jmerda75 Try calling Garmin US number. Usually pretty friendly. #, 7 hours ago
- @jamesward01 Haven't seen any firmware updates yet. #, 7 hours ago
- Stryd announces new running power meter model. Here's a hands-on deep dive at how it works: https://t.co/CGfXdLnDLV https://t.co/QEyq8PKgZw #, 16 hours ago
- RT @liversedge: We do this as an alternative to yellow lorry/red lorry. Guess how many we will see and nearest wins (then multiples) https://t.co/HLtXQOabW6 #, 21 hours ago
- RT @LaurenGoode: Tip for PR folks: Sending me an email w/ the subject "Tip for you" and then pitching a new kickstarter project is not a tip #,
- @hmbark I'd be in a huge pile of crap. Already not thrilled at my last lighting purchase: The decibel stoplight. #,
- @Joffey @farnd0g You don't need the most expensive unit. Rather, just one with a Baro altimeter. Older Edge 500 has it for 1/3rd the price. #,
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Winter 2015-2016 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2015 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) 2015 list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns out I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Today running power meter company Stryd announced their next generation running power meter unit, changing up the form factor and increasing the data metrics gathered. This new model is now a small footpod that you attach to your running shoe. … Read More Here
Let the new trainer games begin! Oh…crap…wait, they already began – earlier this summer with new CycleOps trainer, Elite trainers, and even Tacx trainer updates. But, with a brief summer intermission completed, we’re back into the swing of new trainer … Read More Here
Phew, all sorts of Garmin news over the last few days on numerous fronts, and this post seems the easiest way to bundle up three totally different things into one tidy little package. Let’s get on with the show! Strava … Read More Here
Yes, you read that title right: TrainingPeaks, arguably a competitor platform to Strava, is now supporting Strava’s most import feature: Segments. Though, not entirely in the way you might expect. Yesterday evening TrainingPeaks rolled out the ability for you to … Read More Here
Here’s my thoughts on two noteworthy news pieces that just hit the interwebs. Basis firms recall, shuts down services You may remember earlier this summer when device maker Basis announced that users should cease using their Basis Peak devices due … Read More Here
Today Wahoo became the third company to introduce Strava Live Segment support on devices. Live Segments means that you can get Strava KOM or PR information during your ride on favorite segments, directly on your Wahoo ELEMNT. Garmin was the … Read More Here
Today a little known Danish company called Sensitivus launched a trio of power meters on Kickstarter. While power meters on crowd funded sites are hardly unique, Sensitivus has taken a new twist on things by offering what is the first … Read More Here
As we near trainer season, I’ve seen an uptick in interest in understanding what exactly ANT+ FE-C is, and why it matters when it comes to choosing a trainer (or an app, or a bike computer). So I figured I’d … Read More Here
While almost every day is a great day living in Paris, there are a few days that really take the cake: Bastille Day (Fête nationale), and the finish of the Tour de France. Over the last three years however, ASO/UCI … Read More Here
While I typically get in a number of Tour de France stages each year, this year was a bit different with the arrival of our little peanut. The Girl went into labor a few hours before Le Tour began Stage … Read More Here
Yesterday I spent the day at Stage 18 of the Tour de France. One of the advantages of this particular stage is it’s a time trial. This means that each rider races individually, with the first rider of the day starting … Read More Here
So here’s the thing – every time I go to Eurobike, Interbike, CES, or some other trade show I’m always asked the same thing by virtually everyone in every booth I visit: “What’s the coolest thing you’ve seen thus far?” … Read More Here
Our first product tester in residence has now arrived! Heck, she even arrived via Velib bike with a polka-dot wrap. Despite joining us just two weeks ago she already been out testing various devices. From heart rate sensors to weight … Read More Here