I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
Wanna support DCR?
You'll support the site, and get ad-free DCR! Plus, you'll be more awesome. Click above for all the details.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10MHD) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
The DC RAINMAKER PODCAST
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @Airfrede @nickjwall @berendslagter Not sure who you're asking, but no, not me. #, 4 hours ago
- @mkpaa From what I've seen, it's not turning it off after I power off Remo, it just sorta stays on (seems like a bug, if you ask me). #, 4 hours ago
- @mkpaa In my first test, if Remo is turned on, GoPro will never go to sleep actually. Stays on burning battery as if it were recording. #, 6 hours ago
- @dmuehlenstaedt There are a handful roving sets of 3-4 soldiers since *2006*. One set at Notre Dame, Eiffel, Louvre, Champs. Pretty much it. #, 6 hours ago
- @mkpaa Only when turned on. Started some battery tests this evening actually. #, 15 hours ago
- @jasonpedersen :) It's just the lowest fat option they have. Red milk is fattier, green milk is organic. Lid color. #, 17 hours ago
- Just got 1,499 word Kickstarter cycling product pitch: Complete w/NFL player friend name dropping, fighter pilot name droppin', and..delete. #, 17 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Winter 2015-2016 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2015 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) 2015 list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns out I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Tag Archives: Suunto Ambit
(My Ambit3 Full In-Depth Review is now published! Swing on over to that post for all the full details and analysis!) This morning Suunto has announced their latest endurance and multisport watch, the Suunto Ambit3. The watch incrementally builds on … Read More Here
******[Update: Please note this deal is now expired!]****** As I promised almost exactly one year ago when I announced the Clever Training partnership, I’d only make a full-on post about something deal-related when it was a massive deal. Thus this … Read More Here
This past weekend I spent a bit of time poking through all the new apps that have been released onto the Suunto Ambit App zone. There’s tons of really cool stuff that people are doing – despite the highly limited … Read More Here
Earlier today Suunto released their 2.0 firmware for their Ambit watch, which has previously been targeted primarily at the hiking and ultra running crowd. Though this update will move it a long way towards bringing in other segments as well, … Read More Here
Today Garmin (Nov 1st, 2012) announced and released a new firmware update for the Garmin Fenix watch – which has been primarily targeted at ultra runners and hikers. This comes in firmware version 2.90. The watch itself came out over … Read More Here
Suunto Ambit to get full ANT+ functionality in November 2012, additional features in September 2012.
There’s some pretty significant news coming out of the Suunto camp around the Suunto Ambit – their GPS integrated watch focused towards ultramarathon and hikers that they released back this past spring. The unit is unique in its 50+ hour … Read More Here
Important Note: I’ve published a full-scale Garmin Fenix In-Depth review (13,000 words!) over here at this link. The below were initial thoughts on beta hardware with highly beta firmware. Specific hardware changes were made since then to address some altitude … Read More Here
Rewind the clocks to 10:30PM Friday night, which is the time at which I finally managed to secure the not-yet-available Suunto Ambit box from DHL. Due to a strange series of errors, DHL had decided not to deliver the unit … Read More Here