Heads up! Massive Sale on Garmin, Wahoo, Tacx, Suunto, Polar, Trainers and more! There’s two huge sales going on – first is a major Garmin sale, including $100 off new Forerunner 945 and $150 off the Fenix 5 Plus. Along with the Varia Radar, Garmin Edge 130 & 1030, HR straps, sensors, and plenty more.
Plus there’s the big semi-annual 20% off sale, with all major trainers and power meters included. Wahoo KICKR’s, Tacx NEO’s, Elite Direto’s and Suito’s, Saris H3, Kinetic, R1 4iiii Fliiiight, Stages, and many more. 20% off means you’re saving $200+ in most cases. Not to mention the GPS units from Garmin, Polar, COROS, Lezyne, Suunto, Apple and others.
The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter and Facebook, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
DCRainmaker.com posts in the past week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page of DCRainmaker.com this past week:
Well that week turned out busier than I expected. Ironically, most of my time was actually spent on prep of other things as I noted last week. With Eurobike looming, there’s a lot to get tested, photographed, videoed, and written about!
Sports Tech Deals This Week:
Below is the current list of deals in the sports tech realm.
Copyright DC Rainmaker - Updated November 17th, 2019 @ 5:19 pm
Note: This is a random Amazon deal that will probably disappear. But, it's a great sensor for Zwift usage as it's not just dual ANT+/BLE, but dual-BLE atop that (so it can do two concurrent Bluetooth connections and unlimited ANT+ connections).
⚡ ⚡ This is the first sale we've seen on this unit, which only came out this past spring. It's also an Amazon-specific sale and is highly unlikely to last long. This is one of the main units I use for my day to day riding and testing.
⚡This is a strong deal on the Fenix 5 Plus series. This is for all models/variants. Obviously, the Fenix 6 came out two months ago, so don't expect major new feature updates on the Fenix 5 Plus - but still, it's a strong option.
⚡ This is a fantastic deal right now. The price on Amazon is fluctuating a bit, but either way - by far the lowest we've seen. Awesome if you're looking to get into triathlon or just want a really capable running/cycling/swimming watch.
⚡ This is my favorite chest strap these days (ANT+ & two concurrent BLE connections). It's never on sale, so this is basically just Amazon offering it at a discount for fun. Take it and run - probably won't last long.
This is the odd (and unheard of) Amazon sale. This strap includes Running Dynamics, but is ANT+ only. Honestly, unless you really want Running Dynamics, I'd recommend getting the HRM-DUAL instead (it's dual ANT+/BLE).
⚡⚡ These days this isn't just a Garmin thing anymore. Wahoo and Hammerhead also support the radar, with Stages coming soon! Also, fun fact: This is *by far* the most ordered item on this page on the opening day (Friday, Nov 15th, 2019).
⚡ This isn't a huge deal per se, but it is my favorite speed sensor for a commuter bike as it just quietly tracks all your mileage in the background and syncs it to your phone. Also, this falls in the bucket of 'random Amazon deals that will probably disappear'.
BLACK FRIDAY WEEKEND ONLY! This is a huge deal, as the GoPro Hero 8 Black itself is $399, and then the Shorty Stick is another $40 (my favorite GoPro accessory), and the head mount in the $30 range, and the 32GB card in the $10 range. Again, deal doesn't start till Nov 28th.
⚡ This is one of my favorites, and I use it constantly for HR accuracy testing comparisons. Note that the CT VIP deal is a better deal, but since you can only redeem that for one product - this is handy if you still want a nice little deal. Deal varies based on which color you get.
⚡⚡ REI Deal: One of the top three trainers, but by far the top trainer on the market for ERG mode (so if you're a TrainerRoad user - this be the one!). Note: CT has them for 20% off, while REI has them at 25% off, the 'Other' link is REI. Enjoy!
⚡ Clever Training Deal: One of the top three trainers, but by far the top trainer on the market for ERG mode (so if you're a TrainerRoad user - this be the one!). Note: CT has them for 20% off, while REI has them at 25% off, the 'Other' link is REI. Enjoy!
This is a great little starter unit that supports full control in Zwift/TrainerRoad/etc... It's not super powerful (meaning, it won't without a 500w ERG mode session), but if you're just getting into things it's not a bad place to start at all - especially on sale. Note: REI Members-only sale.
This is a simple bundle of the Wahoo KICKR 2018 + the KICKR CLIMB, for $1,599. Pro Tip: Keep in mind that if you have two people in your household, both CT VIP members (which is free), you could achieve this same thing for less by purchasing both units individually at 20% off. However, if you lack friends, then this is a solid deal!
With the Tour de France in town last week I had a small gaggle of visitors to the cave. For example, Cycling Maven and Hannah came through and we had a chat at a café as well (the full interview will be published a bit later), but there’s a short tidbit in here in the meantime:
And then the folks from the Zwift Podcast also stopped by as well. We chatted about trainers and what to expect at Eurobike. A second and longer section is coming up soon as well:
2) Why UCI’s detection method isn’t all encompassing: This is a pretty cool video and highlights some of the challenges. Note that I don’t believe however some that say using heat is the answer either. There’s just too much radiant heat on a hot summer day in many places that it likely won’t show up (all thermal images I’ve seen of bikes with motors are taken on cooler fall/spring days). But, happy to be proven wrong there as I do have a thermal imaging camera but lack a motorized bike. Maybe at Eurobike I can find one to demo on a hot summer day. In unrelated news, the YouTube channel this video is from is geek heaven. Not totally sports-tech geek, but like 10GB Ethernet adapters geek. Never seen it before, but definitely subscribed now!
5) Las Vegas-Reno/Tahoe now wants the Olympics: Not content with just getting Interbike in 2018, they want the Winter Olympics in 2030. Yes, I said Winter. Btw – they’re almost 500 Miles/700 KM miles apart. If there’s anything I hate more in any Olympic games bid is where venues are spread on the other side of the country. It’s a *city bid*, and thus events should be roughly in that city. Drove me nuts at London 2012 that you had to take a train more than 2 hours away out of the city to see a football match. Or that in Beijing 2008, some events (equestrian) was held in Hong Kong – 2,000 KM away. Grr…
6) Wanna be a Quarq product manager? There’s now an opening for you. This position wears a lot of hats. It’s the person that actually works with me to get me products, hear my feedback (which is really your feedback), as well as deal with other media too. It’s a pretty cool job. The previous person moved out of state, opening this position. (Note: I often include interesting/unique sports tech job positions in the Week in Review, if you have one, send it along.)
7) Deliveroo using GoPro’s due to acid attacks: First of all, WTF!?!, who is acid attacking bicycle delivery people? Don’t f with my Phad Thai delivery girl please. But second, GoPro cameras to catch the people (hopefully). Interesting.
8) US Army issues order to immediately cease DJI drone usage: Due to concerns around how the location and photo/video data is being streamed back to DJI (live or delayed). This is actually totally understandable, and perhaps this action will lead to DJI offering more options to consumers in the same vein. I think DJI would be mistaken to take this action lightly, as this is something that could quickly spiral out of control for them from a PR standpoint. A few national newscasts about it, then every local TV station is mentioning it (because they love to talk about fear of drones), and before you know it other governments are issuing the same thing. (via Sunny)
Sports Technology Software/Firmware Updates This Week:
Each week I quickly highlight some of the new firmware, app, software and website service updates that I see go out. If you’re a sports technology company and release an update – shoot me a quick note (just one-liners are perfect, or Tweet it at me is even better) and I’ll make mention of it here. If I don’t know about it, I won’t be able to post about it. Sound good? Oh – and if you want to get a head start on things, this page is a great resource for watching Garmin firmware updates.
Garmin FR935 BETA firmware update: Umm…balls that’s a massive firmware update. It more or less matches what the Fenix series has had over a while, just in one gigantic drop. Seriously, just go read the list.
You probably stumbled upon here looking for a review of a sports gadget. If you’re trying to decide which unit to buy – check out my in-depth reviews section. Some reviews are over 60 pages long when printed out, with hundreds of photos! I aim to leave no stone unturned.
I travel a fair bit, both for work and for fun. Here’s a bunch of random trip reports and daily trip-logs that I’ve put together and posted. I’ve sorted it all by world geography, in an attempt to make it easy to figure out where I’ve been.
The most common question I receive outside of the “what’s the best GPS watch for me” variant, are photography-esq based. So in efforts to combat the amount of emails I need to sort through on a daily basis, I’ve complied this “My Photography Gear” post for your curious minds! It’s a nice break from the day to day sports-tech talk, and I hope you get something out of it!
Many readers stumble into my website in search of information on the latest and greatest sports tech products. But at the end of the day, you might just be wondering “What does Ray use when not testing new products?”. So here is the most up to date list of products I like and fit the bill for me and my training needs best! DC Rainmaker 2019 swim, bike, run, and general gear list. But wait, are you a female and feel like these things might not apply to you? If that’s the case (but certainly not saying my choices aren’t good for women), and you just want to see a different gear junkies “picks”, check out The Girl’s 2018 Gear Guide too.