The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter and Facebook, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
DCRainmaker.com posts in the past week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page of DCRainmaker.com this past week:
Sunday: Week in Review–July 30th, 2017
Monday: 5 Random Things I Did This Weekend
Tuesday: Wahoo ELEMNT MINI In-Depth Review
Wednesday: In Just 7 Days….
Wednesday: Investor Call Tech Tidbits: Garmin Q2 2017 [Fenix, future products, and activity tracker tidbits]
Wednesday: Investor Call Tech Tidbits: Fitbit Q2 2017 [Upcoming smartwatch, other products insight]
Thursday: Interbike moves to Reno (and Tahoe) in 2018, opens to consumers
Thursday: Investor Call Tech Tidbits: GoPro Q2 2017 [Hero 6, Fusion, and Karma insight]
Well that week turned out busier than I expected. Ironically, most of my time was actually spent on prep of other things as I noted last week. With Eurobike looming, there’s a lot to get tested, photographed, videoed, and written about!
Sports Tech Deals This Week:
Below is the current list of deals in the sports tech realm.
|Current Deals||Regular Price||Sale Price||Start||End||Amazon||Clever Training||Other site||Sale Notes|
|Copyright DC Rainmaker - Updated December 11th, 2017 @ 4:46 pm|
|DJI Mavic Pro||$999||$200 off!!!||Nov 23 2017||Dec 20 2017||Link||N/A||N/A||⚡ I love my Mavic and use it anytime I'm not using my DJI Spark. Simple line in the sand is quick vacations/cycling I'll take DJI Spark with me. Whereas for really cool destinations with lots of flying I'll take DJI Mavic Pro.|
|Fitbit Alta||$129||$30 off!||Dec 10 2017||Dec 24 2017||Link||Link||N/A|
|Fitbit Alta HR||$149||$20 off!||Dec 10 2017||Dec 24 2017||Link||Link||N/A|
|Fitbit Blaze||$199||$50 off!||Dec 10 2017||Dec 24 2017||Link||Link||N/A||⚡Not too shabby a deal on this unit. It requires your phone for GPS, but otherwise it's a good option for a more full featured Fitbit.|
|Fitbit Charge 2||$149||$20 off||Dec 10 2017||Dec 24 2017||Link||Link||N/A|
|Fitbit Ionic||$299||$30 off!||Dec 10 2017||Dec 24 2017||Link||Link||N/A||⚡About the best deal we'll likely see for a while on Ionic (it was down a bit more for Black Friday, but that's a rarity).|
|Garmin Edge 520||$299||$219||Nov 28 2017||Dec 20 2017||Link||N/A||N/A||⚡ ⚡ Note: This has an unknown end date. Could be in 2 minutes, or in 2 weeks. No idea, it's an Amazon specific deal.|
|Garmin Fenix5 (5/5S/5X)||$599||$100 off||Nov 13 2017||Dec 24 2017||Link||Link||⚡ Definitely the best deal you're going to see this year on this.|
|Garmin Forerunner 235||$329||$30 off||Dec 10 2017||Dec 24 2017||Link||Link||N/A|
|Garmin Forerunner 35||$199||$30 off!||Dec 10 2017||Dec 24 2017||Link||Link||N/A|
|Garmin VIRB 360||$799||$100 off||Dec 10 2017||Dec 16 2017||Link||Link||N/A||⚡This is the first US sale we've seen on this unit, and likely done to edge you to purchase it over the GoPro Fusion or Rylo cameras. While Rylo is in a different (lesser) category, Fusion is similar, but not yet as mature as the VIRB 360.|
|Garmin Vivoactive 3||$299||$50 off||Nov 22 2017||Dec 23 2017||Link||Link||⚡ Awesome deal $50 off the base unit (thus $249), or $50 off the Slate unit (thus $279). The slate has an extra resistant coating on the band which his why it costs more. This is a superb deal for a unit that came out a mere 2 months ago.|
|Garmin Vivofit Jr||$79||$49||Nov 22 2017||Dec 23 2017||Link||Link||The lowest we've seen this unit. Was super popular last year (the most popular item ordered via DCR actually).|
|Garmin Vivofit Jr. 2||$99||$69||Nov 22 2017||Dec 23 2017||Link||Link||⚡ This just came out 5 weeks ago, and so this is a solid deal. Note: This price was dropped $10 further on Dec 5th.|
|Garmin Vivosmart 3||$139||$99||Nov 22 2017||Dec 23 2017||Link||Link||⚡ Note this just came out earlier this year, if looking for an activity tracker as opposed to a GPS watch, this is a great deal.|
|Garmin Vivosport||$199||$149||Nov 22 2017||Dec 23 2017||Link||Link||This just came out back in September, so a pretty good deal.|
|GoPro Hero5 Black||$399||$100 off!||Dec 10 2017||Dec 31 2018||Link||Link||N/A||⚡ This is technically a permanent price drop effective Dec 10th, but now the GoPro Hero 5 Black is $299! I'm listing it here for now since it's a good deal if you don't care about the new Hero6 features.|
|GoPro Hero5 Session||$299||$100 off!||Dec 10 2017||Dec 31 2018||Link||Link||N/A||⚡⚡⚡ This is technically a permanent price drop effective Dec 10th, but now the GoPro Hero 5 Session is $199! I'm listing it here for now since it's a good deal, especially if you want a small camera that has 4K capabilities and is totally waterproof.|
|GoPro Hero6 Black||$499||$50 off + 32GB Card||Dec 10 2017||Dec 16 2017||Link||Link||N/A||⚡ Awesome deal ! Also includes a 32GB micro-SD card tossed in. Amaze-ball deal for a brand new unit! CLEVER TRAINING ONLY|
|GoPro Karma Drone Hero5 & Hero6 Bundles||$200 off||Dec 10 2017||Dec 24 2017||Link||Link||N/A||While I don't generally recommend the GoPro Karma drone...if you really want it, it's on sale for about 20% off. Instant price reduction for the Karma Hero5 and Hero6 bundles.|
|Polar Gadgets - 20% off everything!!!||-||20% off||Dec 04 2017||Dec 13 2017||N/A||Link||N/A||⚡ Only valid on Clever Training, and only with coupon code MERRY20. This includes watches, bike computers, sensors (like the Polar OH-1), and more!|
|PowerPod||$299||Dec 10 2017||Dec 19 2017||Link||Link||N/A||$249 for the ANT+ version, $279 for the BLE version, and $299 for the dual ANT+/BLE version|
|PowerTap Refurb Sale||-||25-40% off||Dec 02 2017||Dec 15 2017||n/A||N/A||Link||⚡ This is a great sale for refurb items. Incredible deals. And here's the thing, some folks will ignore this because they are refurb, but realistically, they go through the same QA process as other items (just with fancy new exteriors). Seriously, you won't beat these deals, and if I was buying a PowerTap unit right now, I'd take up some of these deals (unfortunately, I bought a unit two weeks ago...).|
|Scosche RHYTHM+||$79||$59||Dec 10 2017||Dec 13 2017||Link||Link||N/A|
|TomTom Adventurer (Music + OHR + GPS)||-||$50 off||Dec 10 2017||Dec 31 2017||Link||Link||N/A||Down to $299, includes music, optical HR, and GPS.Note: TomTom wearables division is being shut down however.|
|TomTom Spark 3 Product Line||$149-$299 (Features Vary)||Up to $100 off||Dec 10 2017||Dec 31 2017||Link||Link||N/A||Full list of options: • Spark 3 Basic: $30 off (from $129 to $99) • Spark 3 Cardio: $40 (from $189 to $149). • Spark 3 Music + headphones: $20 off (from $169 to $129) • Spark 3 Cardio + music + headphones: $20 off (from $249 to $199)Note: TomTom wearables division is being shut down however.|
|TomTom Touch Cardio||$89||$69||Dec 10 2017||Dec 31 2017||Link||Link||N/A||Normally $89 for the 'Cardio' version. Note: TomTom wearables division is being shut down however.|
|TomTom Touch Cardio + Body Composition||$89||$99||Dec 10 2017||Dec 31 2017||Link||Link||N/A||This is the version that includes the body comp metrics as well. Note: TomTom wearables division is being shut down however.|
|WatTeam PowerBeat Gen2||From $259||20% off!||Nov 26 2017||Dec 24 2017||N/A||Link||N/A||⚡⚡ This brings it down to $207 for a single sided unit and $319 for the dual-sided unit - by far the cheapest direct force power meter out there.|
Not a lot this week, and I don’t expect much more till we get to September.
YouTube Videos I Published:
Here’s some YouTube goodness that I published this past week, don’t forget to subscribe!
YouTube & Podcast Cameos:
With the Tour de France in town last week I had a small gaggle of visitors to the cave. For example, Cycling Maven and Hannah came through and we had a chat at a café as well (the full interview will be published a bit later), but there’s a short tidbit in here in the meantime:
And then the folks from the Zwift Podcast also stopped by as well. We chatted about trainers and what to expect at Eurobike. A second and longer section is coming up soon as well:
Here’s the full Zwiftcast notes about the episode as well.
Stuff that I found interesting around the interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet.
2) Why UCI’s detection method isn’t all encompassing: This is a pretty cool video and highlights some of the challenges. Note that I don’t believe however some that say using heat is the answer either. There’s just too much radiant heat on a hot summer day in many places that it likely won’t show up (all thermal images I’ve seen of bikes with motors are taken on cooler fall/spring days). But, happy to be proven wrong there as I do have a thermal imaging camera but lack a motorized bike. Maybe at Eurobike I can find one to demo on a hot summer day. In unrelated news, the YouTube channel this video is from is geek heaven. Not totally sports-tech geek, but like 10GB Ethernet adapters geek. Never seen it before, but definitely subscribed now!
3) SportTracks is now integrated with Polar: Well then, that took a long time (through no fault of SportTracks). Really hoping this will enable Polar to move faster in adding in 3rd party sync partnerships…like the Nike+ Run Club integration they also announced.
4) Man swims to work each day: And the kicker? He’s not living in a warm place either! And he even takes his laptop along. (via Matt)
5) Las Vegas-Reno/Tahoe now wants the Olympics: Not content with just getting Interbike in 2018, they want the Winter Olympics in 2030. Yes, I said Winter. Btw – they’re almost 500 Miles/700 KM miles apart. If there’s anything I hate more in any Olympic games bid is where venues are spread on the other side of the country. It’s a *city bid*, and thus events should be roughly in that city. Drove me nuts at London 2012 that you had to take a train more than 2 hours away out of the city to see a football match. Or that in Beijing 2008, some events (equestrian) was held in Hong Kong – 2,000 KM away. Grr…
6) Wanna be a Quarq product manager? There’s now an opening for you. This position wears a lot of hats. It’s the person that actually works with me to get me products, hear my feedback (which is really your feedback), as well as deal with other media too. It’s a pretty cool job. The previous person moved out of state, opening this position. (Note: I often include interesting/unique sports tech job positions in the Week in Review, if you have one, send it along.)
7) Deliveroo using GoPro’s due to acid attacks: First of all, WTF!?!, who is acid attacking bicycle delivery people? Don’t f with my Phad Thai delivery girl please. But second, GoPro cameras to catch the people (hopefully). Interesting.
8) US Army issues order to immediately cease DJI drone usage: Due to concerns around how the location and photo/video data is being streamed back to DJI (live or delayed). This is actually totally understandable, and perhaps this action will lead to DJI offering more options to consumers in the same vein. I think DJI would be mistaken to take this action lightly, as this is something that could quickly spiral out of control for them from a PR standpoint. A few national newscasts about it, then every local TV station is mentioning it (because they love to talk about fear of drones), and before you know it other governments are issuing the same thing. (via Sunny)
Sports Technology Software/Firmware Updates This Week:
Each week I quickly highlight some of the new firmware, app, software and website service updates that I see go out. If you’re a sports technology company and release an update – shoot me a quick note (just one-liners are perfect, or Tweet it at me is even better) and I’ll make mention of it here. If I don’t know about it, I won’t be able to post about it. Sound good? Oh – and if you want to get a head start on things, this page is a great resource for watching Garmin firmware updates.
DJI Spark Firmware Update: Adds new gesture video recording modes, a few other new features.
Garmin FR935 BETA firmware update: Umm…balls that’s a massive firmware update. It more or less matches what the Fenix series has had over a while, just in one gigantic drop. Seriously, just go read the list.
Thanks for reading!