I’ve long since wondered what to do with all the random tidbits of things I collect each week – or the little thoughts that don’t quite make for a full post. But I finally came up with a solution: The Week in Review Post. This takes the place of my Weekly Mailbag – which is over on Slowtwitch. These are just quick snippets of things that I’ve found interesting. Nice and easy Saturday reading. Plus, a recap of my Weekly Mailbag post a well.
So with that, let’s get into the action!
Weekly Mailbag Over at Slowtwitch.com:
Wander on over to Slowtwitch this week for my latest thoughts on a wide assortment of sports technology items. Here’s this week’s new topics, which you can check out here. Oh, and this should be posted very shortly, if not already there.
1) Taking the Forerunner to the pool?
2) Best bet for trail running watch with altitude?
3) Auto-Pause, Running and Races (and why your distance might be short)
Posts this past week:
A wide variety of posts this week covering quite a range of stuff. The most popular was probably the Art of Pacing post, lots of additional great comments in there too! Here’s all the stuff that landed on the front page:
Sunday: Week in Review: March 26th, 2011
Monday: National Half-Marathon Race (and Pace) Report
Tuesday Morning: A look at the 2011 Multisport Expo in Washington DC
Tuesday Evening: Forerunner 310XT Giveaway Winner!
Wednesday: The Art of Pacing with a Garmin
Thursday: A day in…the past three years
Stuff that I found interesting around the interwebs:
Here’s a small smattering of links I found interesting this week:
1) Cycling 6-Pack Beer Holder: I’m not sure this particular item needs much more explanation – but it’s a beautifully designed 6-pack holder for bottles of beer on a bike.
2) No Giro Italia in Washington DC next year. Originally it had been thought that the 2012 Giro would start in DC as a prelude type stage before heading back to Italy. Unfortunately, the mayoral loss of triathlete/cyclist/runner Mayor Fenty probably kills this one both short and long term.
3) Behind the scenes of Vibram’s ‘Hot Naked Models’. I’ve long since loved Donald’s Running and Rambling blog. One of the original blogs I’ve followed. He tends to focus on running and ultra running related items – but I’m sure this one will appeal to everyone. :)
4) How potholes form, and are fixed. From our friends at the DC Department of Transportation and Virginia Department of Transportation comes a funny little video on hot potholes are formed and fixed. Actually worthwhile – especially as cyclists always looking to avoid them. And if you live in either state/location – then there’s also instructions on how to get them fixed (now is preferred!)
5) Training Peaks and ‘Classic Mode’ – a look back. For those of you that use Training Peaks, you may have forgotten it’s been a year since they moved away from classic mode. Many folks screamed bloody murder when it happened. Interesting look back at the ‘why’ part of their decision, a year later.
Random Side Note:
I’m pretty excited about the new Nike+ GPS Sportwatch releasing on Thursday. For two reasons – first off, they said back in January when they announced the watch that they’d be available ‘in April’ – so that means they actually not only meet, but beat their own estimates. I honestly can’t think of a sports device company that’s done that recently. The second reason I’m excited is mine should come on Monday or Tuesday. :)