Heads up! Massive Sale on Garmin, Suunto, Polar, Trainers and more! There’s two huge sales going on – first is a major Garmin sale, including $100 off new Forerunner 945 and $150 off the Fenix 5 Plus. Along with the Varia Radar, Garmin Edge 130 & 1030, and plenty more.
Plus there’s the big semi-annual 20% off sale, with virtually all major trainers and power meters included. Wahoo KICKR’s, Tacx NEO’s, Elite Direto’s and Suito’s, Saris H3, Kinetic, R1 4iiii Fliiiight, Stages, and many more. Not to mention the GPS units from Garmin, Polar, COROS, Lezyne, Suunto, Apple and others.
I’ve long since wondered what to do with all the random tidbits of things I collect each week – or the little thoughts that don’t quite make for a full post. But I finally came up with a solution: The Week in Review Post. This takes the place of my Weekly Mailbag – which is over on Slowtwitch. These are just quick snippets of things that I’ve found interesting. Nice and easy Saturday reading. Plus, a recap of my Weekly Mailbag post a well.
So with that, let’s get into the action!
Weekly Mailbag Over at Slowtwitch.com: Wander on over to Slowtwitch this week for my latest thoughts on a wide assortment of sports technology items. Here’s this week’s new topics, which you can check out here.
1) Understanding Elapsed Time and Time in sport files 2) Deciding between an iPhone in ANT+ case, and the Edge 800 3) Garmin Futures: Vector Pedals and new version of the FR310XT
Posts this past week: A wide variety of posts this week covering quite a range of stuff. My personal favorite is probably the giveaway post – since I’m doing it differently this time and having y’all tell a funny training story. Tons of hilarious ones in there – definitely check it out! Here’s all the stuff that landed on the page:
Stuff that I found interesting around the interwebs: Here’s a small smattering of links I found interesting this week:
1) Detroit to Dover – Openwater Swim Blog: What if your normal swim workout consisted of more than 15,000 yards in the pool…plus a cool down? Welcome to the world of Jenny Birmelin and her training for the English Channel swim. Every once in a while I stumble upon blogs of folks training for the channel swim and find myself lost for hours reading their posts. This was no different…
3) Garmin files litigation against Bryton Cycling Computers: I thought this little nugget was interesting. Bryton makes ANT+ cycling computers that provide mapping capabilities on the devices, similar to the Edge 705 and Edge 800. Apparently similar enough that Garmin’s decided to sue. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I do find it ironic that Garmin LTD (officially a Swiss company) is filing in US district court (USA) against sale in Germany.
5) Chase the Chics triathlon!: If there ever were a more brilliant event idea…I don’t know what it would be. In this triathlon just a bit south of DC, the women get a slight head start on the men. Then the men start. First person to the finish (male or female) wins the cash. And yes, it’s really called “Chasing Chics Triathlon”. I want that t-shirt.
6) Top Fitness Apps from the Wall Street Journal: If you have an iPhone, Android or Blackberry phone (or even an iPad), then definitely check out this list of top fitness related apps from the WSJ. Pretty much all the cool apps I’ve used are on the list, so I’d have to assume the rest are equally as cool.
Random thoughts section:
As I mentioned yesterday, this will be a crazy busy weekend – between running the half-marathon on Saturday morning to cake competitions on Saturday daytime, and cupcake competitions Saturday night. Busy busy! And that’s before Sunday!
You probably stumbled upon here looking for a review of a sports gadget. If you’re trying to decide which unit to buy – check out my in-depth reviews section. Some reviews are over 60 pages long when printed out, with hundreds of photos! I aim to leave no stone unturned.
I travel a fair bit, both for work and for fun. Here’s a bunch of random trip reports and daily trip-logs that I’ve put together and posted. I’ve sorted it all by world geography, in an attempt to make it easy to figure out where I’ve been.
The most common question I receive outside of the “what’s the best GPS watch for me” variant, are photography-esq based. So in efforts to combat the amount of emails I need to sort through on a daily basis, I’ve complied this “My Photography Gear” post for your curious minds! It’s a nice break from the day to day sports-tech talk, and I hope you get something out of it!
Many readers stumble into my website in search of information on the latest and greatest sports tech products. But at the end of the day, you might just be wondering “What does Ray use when not testing new products?”. So here is the most up to date list of products I like and fit the bill for me and my training needs best! DC Rainmaker 2018 swim, bike, run, and general gear list. But wait, are you a female and feel like these things might not apply to you? If that’s the case (but certainly not saying my choices aren’t good for women), and you just want to see a different gear junkies “picks”, check out The Girl’s 2018 Gear Guide too.