Tip of the day: How to display your name and phone number on your Garmin Edge

A few days ago a reader tweeted me an interesting little tip that I hadn’t seen before.  It allows you to specify a startup message that’s displayed to the person turning on your Garmin Edge unit (hopefully you).  And in fact, upon poking around, the ‘instructions’ have been sitting there for years on the Edge units.  And the process is simple and easy to complete in 30 seconds.  This applies to the Edge 510, Edge 800 and Edge 810.

Thus the next time you leave your Edge on top of your car and drive away from a ride, you’ll at least increase your odds from ‘none’ to ‘slim’ that someone might return it.

Setup:

Here’s how you add the message.  First, you’ll need to have the unit attached to a computer with a USB cable.  Below are instructions I’ve written up for Windows, but the Mac instructions are pretty much identical.

After plugging the unit in, you’ll see it show up on your computer.  That’s where we start.

1) Navigate to the Garmin folder on the unit (your exact drive letter will vary), and within it you’ll find the ‘startup.txt’ file.  Simply double click it – it’ll open in Notepad.

2) Here’s where you’ll be brought.  Basically this just provides a bunch of guidance.  We’re only going to edit two tiny pieces, which I highlight in the next step in yellow.

3) First up is editing how long the message is displayed for.  You’ll see above it’s set for 0 (as in 0 seconds).  Below, I’ve just changed it to 10 – as in, 10 seconds.  You can specify whatever you’d like.

4) Next (and lastly), we’re going to add our special message.  This is what’s shown upon starting up the unit.  You can type it on a single line and it’ll wrap the text when shown on your Garmin Edge.  Alternatively, you can type up to 5 lines of text, but you’ll only get a few words per line.  Don’t worry if you type too much, it just truncates it on the unit.

5) Save the file, unplug your Garmin, turn it on to gaze at your magnificent work (or, see that you mistyped your phone number)

End Resultant:

The pop-up is compatible with the following units: Garmin Edge 510, Edge 800, and Edge 810.  I have tested that it is not compatible with the Edge 200, 500 or Edge 705.

That’s it – simple as that!

Thanks again to the reader who pointed this tip out.  While it may not get my unit back to me the next time I leave it behind – at least it increases my chances a bit.

Have a great weekend!

Retweet 110Like 886Google +1 8

1. ABMcCaa

AWESOME! Thanks for posting that. Worked perfect!

• Alan Weaver replied

Yep, it also works on the Garmin Touring Plus as well, great tip!!

2. Tommy

Thanks for the tip!

3. Great tip! I added the message, but left the time at zero, since it has plenty of time to stay on the screen while the maps are loading.

4. cs.senthiil

Super, Worked Perfect.

5. Patrick Tan

I have the Edge 510 and this is simply a great tip which fellow owners should seat up and pay attention to.

6. Thanks for the tip. It also works on the Garmin Oregon 600 and I guess any Garmin unit with the startup.txt file.

7. MURAT

works perfect on 510 … great tip …

8. Anders Majland

My old trusty GPSmap60 has the same feature – Except that you just enter your message directly on the unit. I suspect many Garmin devices has a similar feature. Time to RTFM’s :-)

9. Paul

Any chance it will work on 910XT?

• Nick replied

Nope since you cant access the file system on a 910xt

10. Tommy Torwald

Why don’t you just put a sticker on the back, if you’re afraid of losing it? Not saying it’s not neat with a personalized welcome message, but I doubt it’s the best way to ensure getting it back when you lose it…

• djconnel replied

I think one advantage might be the sticker is easier to remove by a thief. If it’s stolen, how many thieves will be able to remove the startup message?

Regardless of whether one prefers sticker or not, one tiny but really important item that you’ll want to ensure is that the sticker doesn’t cover the set of four small holes on the back of the Garmin Edge.

These holes are for the barometric altimeter, and when covered or otherwise suffocated, you’ll get bad barometric altimeter data.

Just an FYI…

• djconnel replied

Excellent suggestion for the 500 and other units where the startup.txt isn’t recognized. There’s a decent chance someone who, as I do, uploads FIT files directly rather than via the Garmin app, will notice it.

11. I always put in my name, phone number (including extensions), my e-mail address and Country name.

This is one feature which the JaVaWa Device Manager (for Mac and Windows) also supports you to do, but then much easier, without having to know which file to edit or if your Garmin device supports it.

Second tip is also to create an Owners_Information.txt file in the root of your GPS and microSD. It’s not shown, but if you write the same information as in the startup text and if there is ever doubt if the device/microSD is your property, then show the information in this file. (also supported by JaVaWa Device Manager).

12. Remco Verdoold

Nice phone number you have :)

Do you know if it is possible with the 910xt as well?

13. Mark

Great, simple tip!! Thanks!

14. pratoni

and what about the forerunner series?

15. Morten WR

My 800 does not truncate… Only get about 38 characters:-(

• Morten WR replied

Disregard last comment. Didn’t work due to use of “forbidden” character ø

16. Efraim Shaw

What about the 910?

17. scott buchanan

Obvious question would be…. how likely would the person ‘finding’ your expensive bit of tech to return it?

Friend had a pair Leica UltraVid HD bino’s with owner info in the case ‘taken’
    Got an anonymous call 2 days later….. “Cheers for the binoculars mate!”

Sorry for the lack of faith in my fellow man/woman

• ken replied

Scott, I found a 910 xt unit on a mtn bike trail, emailed garmin the serial # and they put me in touch w the owner, amd i returned it.

All I could think of was how much it would have sucked if it was mine. And that I really wish i found an Edge 810 ;)

18. Tisztul_A_Visztula

The intro screen of 60CSx can be customized to an extent that my own face is smiling (at low resolution) after I switch on my GPSr. I dont know whether this sort of tweak is available for newer units.

19. earl

Thanks Ray

20. Dan

I keep calling, but you’re not answering!

21. Ian West

Cheers Ray works well and looks neat! saves a sticker falling off in the rain

22. Ray, you are also highlighting to dishonest people how to remove the message as well. ;-)

23. lionel birkenbach

to cool – thanks

24. Michael H.

I thought your phone number was 867-5309.

25. Dave G

Thanks for the tip, works on 810, can get mine mixed up with friends 810!

26. Dick Morris

Thanks a useful tip.
    The Garmin 62 series offers a similar function.
    I put my mobile number but also added ‘ Reward Given if found ‘
    Not sure if it might work but worth a try.!

27. anybody

Great tipp. I had such a message set in my old etrex over the regular menu and already wondered where this option in my Montana was. It works for my Montana 600 as well.

28. Trevor

Great tip, thanks. Entered ICE contact details.

29. Derick

Great Tip …Thanks

30. LitterBug

I also customized the background screen of my Edge 800 with “if Found” and “In Case Of Emergency” info. You can find the images in the /Garmin/Bacgrounds directory.

Cheers!
    LitterBug

31. rc46

Wow great info but terrible timing on my part! Some how I missed this post until today and unfortunately lost my 810 Saturday night!

32. Megazine

I can’t seem to have that file under garmin? There’s no “startup” under garmin. I’m using a win8 PC.

33. Ted H

AWESOME Tip… Thanks Ray.

34. Az

I am getting the letters ‘yyyyyyyyy….’ in my startup text doc… I cannot change anything… Anyone encounter the same problem?

35. Cam Carroll

Just found this, awesome thank you, so very handy…. PS keep up the incredible work!!!

36. TomZ

I also see the letters ‘yyyyyyyyy….’ in my startup text doc.

Tom

37. Trigger

It’s a great tip, really appreciate it! Mine now reads “Stop gawking and call an ambulance, then call my bride @…” :0)

38. César Herrero (Spain)

Felicidades, gracias por esta pequeña ayuda.

39. This could be the best thing I have found on here other than of course the great Vector info.

40. jedmonds

Awesome. Works perfectly. Hopefully it never be needed.

• jedmonds replied

Ooops. Hopefully it *will* never be needed.

41. tzahi

hi
    it dosnt work on the 705?

No, it does not. Unfortunately that was prior to Garmin adding the code into their devices to read it.

42. GM

That worked Great, Thank You

43. Fantastic tip! I’ve sent it out to all my bay area cyclist friends..

44. Exelent and easy,many many thanks

45. Exelent and easy

46. Wendy

Anyone got simple instructions for me to do this on the garmin 500? Would appreciate it, ta

47. Gooders

Is there any way of making the font size larger.

48. Lou

Hi ray, the new 2.9 update got rid of my start up page and now can’t redo it! Any clue?

• Dick Morris replied

Suggest a reset or reboot to the firmware and start again.
      It’s all OK on my Edge 510 with the 2.9 upgrade to the firmware.

• Lou replied

I have done the reboot however when I go to the garmin folder on my computer and select ‘startup.txt’ folder, well the content is totatlly different then mentioned above. All I have in the start up folder are “y’s”.

• Lou replied

Reformatted and ok now

• Tom replied

How did you reformat it?

49. calimero

Grazie di cuore !!! ciaoo

50. Tom

Lou – how did you reformat it?

• Lou replied

Hi Tom,

First I would suggest you to back up all your settings as per link:

link to support.garmin.com{87d71a10-4ac5-11e2-e8a7-000000000000}

Then to format go as follow:

1.Right-click on device as it appears as a drive
      2.Select Format…
      3.Ensure File System is set to FAT32
      4.Ensure Volume Label is set to Garmin
      5.Uncheck Quick Format
      6.Select Start

Hope this helps.

• Lou replied

Tom try this again to back up
      When the Edge is connected to the computer, it will create a drive in (My) Computer [PC] or on the desktop [Mac]. By selecting the drive, a number of folders within the Garmin folder will appear. These folders represent the following information:
      ◦Locations – contains Locations.fit file that stores saved location(s)
      ◦Records – contains Records.fit file that stores personal records you have achieved
      ◦Settings – contains Settings.fit file which stores user profile, device settings and bike profiles
      ◦Sports – contains each activity profile as a separate file
      ◦Totals – contains Totals.fit file which stores device totals for time and distance
      ◦Weight – contains Weight.fit files obtained from a Tanita platform

To reinstall the files:
      1.Plug Edge into computer via USB cable
      2.Go to files location on computer
      3.Press and hold Control (CTRL) key on keyboard
      4.Select each file (still holding CTRL key) until all files are selected
      5.Release CTRL key
      6.Open Garmin drive from Computer page or desktop (Mac)
      7.Open Garmin Folder
      8.Right-click on NewFiles folder
      9.Paste files into folder

The New Files folder will automatically put the files into the correct folders once the Edge is disconnected and powered on. The settings, profiles, and totals will now show on your fitness GPS.

• Tom replied

Thanks Lou – I will try that.

Tom

• Tom replied

Thanks Lou – that worked great!

51. Thank you- awesome tip and I even got it the first time. MM

52. ben fg

Thank you! This should definitely be in the quick start guide that comes with the unit. Wouldn’t hurt garmin management – and you don’t have to do it out of genuine humanity. It’s just one more small thing to keep customers smiling! ;)

53. Dave

Hi,
    I just see a bib block full of yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy when i open the file, any suggestions what to do..?
    I have a garmin edge 510