9 responses

1. Sam
    July 21, 2012

Can you get Eurosport? It’s how I watch the tour in the UK, it stays on one channel, is in English and has rather witty commentary.

2. MJ
    July 21, 2012

I would miss the dulcet tones (and quirky word use) of Phil & Paul, which pretty much make the TdF for me. Also enjoy Bobke and Liam.

3. Matt
    July 21, 2012

I have to comment on this as one of your French reader :) Congrats on the move to Paris by the way, I hope you will love it. It’s a great city to visit but living in it takes a bit more effort 😉

Anyway, the Tour on French TV is definitely a bit of a cultural thing. I know they used to have in the morning 1 or 2 hours of show in the starting city with the local art scene, businesses, sports, etc… That used to be on France 3 (I’ve been away from France for 10 years now…). Anyway, as far as the french audio goes, you are not missing much if you stick to France Television. Thierry Adam, Godart, Holtz, these guys are complete has-been ! The best from what I know is Eurosport, whether you stick to Harmon and Kelly (torty kilometers to go !) or work on your French with Eurosport and Jacky DUrand. I think they have Virenque too now unfortunately… Anyway, bon courage avec le francais !

4. morey000
    July 21, 2012

does Phil Ligget speak french?

5. SebRom
    July 22, 2012

Anyway Ray I know many TdF-lovers who watch TV but mute it as – like Matt said – speakers are really bad…

6. Bill
    July 22, 2012

Your post on watching the Tour on French TV was right on! My son and I loved the soaring bird, but I think you might be underestimating the time that bird flew around! We also got surprised by the channel switch: we were watching them climb the Tourmalet and all of a sudden commercials followed by a different show!

But if you think watching the Tour on TV is different, attempt to follow it on radio! We tried to do so as we drove from the start in Samatan to the finish in Pau, and you can only get an idea of what is going on by how many times they say a rider’s name (e.g., blah blah blah Bradley WigGEENS! blah blah blah blah Bradley WigGEENS!)

Probably the worst thing about seeing the Tour live, though, is not getting to hear Phil and Paul. We especially miss Paul’s bits of trivia about various French chateaux and geological features. My son and I have taken to filling in our own trivia bits when the helicopters focus on the castles and whatnot.

Bill

7. Bill
    July 22, 2012

By the way, I hope no one takes my description of listening to the Tour on the radio as being disrespectful. I absolutely love France, the French and the Tour. This is just what it sounds like to someone with my very limited French skills.

8. MatevzH
    July 22, 2012

Unfortunately Eurosport in France is different from brish Eurosport. Sometimes programme is different (in winter with longer “apres” competition programmes) and at least at my place i’m not able to swich commentaries from French to English. And yes, english cycling commentaries on Eurosport are really TOP.

9. MatevzH
    July 23, 2012

Oh, and just to add. Even if you apply for british Eurosport, when you arrive to France znd are on the french network, it automatically switches to french Eurosport. something to do with legal rights. A big dislike!!!!