12 responses

February 9, 2012

Nice shots ray… Thanks for sharing with us!

2. Mr. Burns
    February 9, 2012

I always feel something special when visiting ruins of ancient greek or roman constructions. It’s like being back to my civilization roots. This is where it all began.

3. Nyteravyn
    February 9, 2012

Pics are great , I envy the trip!

February 9, 2012

Great pics Ray.

I’ve got very fond memories of the stadium from the Athens Classic Marathon I did back in 2008, as a finishing place for a marathon I don’t think it can be beaten! Certainly a welcome sight after running uphill for so long.

Darren

5. SSB
    February 10, 2012

hmmm… that gives me an idea. Naked triathlon.

6. thalis
    February 10, 2012

“gymnastics” derives from the Greek γυμναστική (gymnastike), fem. of γυμναστικός (gymnastikos), “fond of athletic exercises”,[1] from γυμνάσια (gymnasia), “exercise”[2] and that from γυμνός (gymnos), “naked”,[3] because athletes exercised and competed without clothing.
    link to en.wikipedia.org

February 10, 2012

Triathlete bloggers recent swim – SFW (Safe For Work), yes. But SFL? (Safe For Lunch) NO!
    First paragraph – Athletes foot in the armpit with a photo??!!!

8. Rainmaker
    February 10, 2012

I think after so many years of following Steve in a Speedo (different blog) – I’ve long since grown used to potentially lunch-threatening photos of various bodily wounds from triathletes:

link to iwannagetphysical.blogspot.com

9. Caspar
    February 10, 2012

This comment has been removed by the author.

10. Caspar
    February 10, 2012

I was in Athens for work for a few weeks last autumn and looked at your travel pages and found the stadium. During my stay I did my track intervals in the stadium a few times. So cool!

11. Eaglos
    February 15, 2012

Next time you visit Athens take a look to the left side of the Stadium and you will see a locked iron door which leads behind the stadium.

If you walk past that door into the alley you will see a narrow stair on your right. Follow it all the way up and keep going straight until you reach the main road.

Once there take a few steps to your right and you will find the entrance to the back side of the Stadium. There is where we run watching Acropolis and Lycabetus.

The place is really interesting because it provides small staicases along the “track” and also some offroad uphill routes.

12. Alice
    June 3, 2013

Wow, beautiful place, thanks for sharing!