Wahoo Fitness Announces GymConnect: Treadmill integration & control

One tiny step at a time Wahoo is slowly increasing their fitness related turf.  This week at CES, they announced the GymConnect System, which allows you to control your treadmill and get it talking over ANT+ & Bluetooth Smart to apps of your choice.

The Equipment:

Now, to be super-clear: Wahoo is not selling a treadmill.  Instead, they’re selling a treadmill add-on.  This add-on comes in two flavors, one designed to be built into new treadmills, and another designed to retrofit that existing treadmill floating around your garage.

The product is called the GEM (Gym Equipment Module), and is designed for more than just treadmills, but any piece of cardio equipment out there in a gym from spin bikes to rowing machines to treadmills.

Now they technically have two products on the market:

GEM Retrofit Module: This is designed to retrofit existing treadmills with a compatible port, to provide data broadcasting and control (more on what specifically that means in a second).

GEM OEM Module: This meanwhile is sold to treadmill makers that can integrate this straight inside new treadmills, so no extra retrofit necessary.

Let’s first talk about the retrofit one, since that’s likely most interesting to folks here.  The way this works is that Wahoo has created a small pod, roughly the size of 2-3 gel packets, that you attach to your treadmill.

This pod in turn connects to the innards of your old-school treadmill using what’s known as a CSAFE port.  These ports are universal on almost all commercial treadmills, but also found on some residential treadmills (“some” being the catch here).   It doesn’t much matter how old the treadmill is, these ports have been around since dinosaurs ruled the earth.  The port is just an RJ-45 port, so it’s basically an Ethernet port:

On some treadmills this will be found on the exterior shell (like seen above), whereas other treadmills may require a bit of ‘creativity’ to get at the port inside the unit.  If you can’t find the port on the outside of the treadmill, do some Google Stalking and see if your treadmill has it somewhere else.  Or, get out that screwdriver.

Meanwhile, the secondary target is really new treadmills for Wahoo as part of selling the OEM module to various companies.  For example, major treadmill manufacture Star Trac has been shipping units with the OEM version since November.  Thus far, they’ve shipped about 10,000 modules to various customers.

Additionally, Wahoo has other major treadmill brands that haven’t yet announced their agreements with the Wahoo (beyond Star Trac).

Finally, Wahoo noted that for regular consumers in the market for a treadmill, that many times you’ll find clubs/gyms selling used treadmills for great deals (Craig’s List, eBay, direct, etc…).  These are all commercial units and virtually guaranteed to have the CSAFE interface port (and easily accessible), versus a residential treadmill that might not.

What It Transmits & Controls:

So, what does this little doohickey do?  Basically, it makes your treadmill like a Wahoo KICKR, but for running.  More technically though, it does the following:

Transmits treadmill data over ANT+ via ANT+ FE-C standards: This includes anything that the treadmill and the FE-C standard supports.  Examples include your pace, distance, incline, and heart rate (if it has a HR sensor on the treadmill).  It does not transmit as a standard ANT+ footpod unfortunately.

Transmits treadmill data over Bluetooth Smart API: This includes anything that the treadmill does, but using a Wahoo Fitness Bluetooth Smart API they’ve developed.  Examples include your pace, distance, incline, and heart rate (if it has a HR sensor on the treadmill).  It does not transmit as a standard Bluetooth Smart footpod unfortunately.

Can control incline of treadmill: The module can tell the treadmill to increase or decrease the incline automatically.

Can send programs to the treadmill: For treadmills that support it, the unit can send them pre-programmed routes/efforts that change the resistance or provide guidance.

One thing it can’t do – change speed in realtime*: This is done for safety/legal reasons, and in talking to Wahoo, this sounds like treadmill manufacturers view this line as a ‘over our dead bodies’ type of thing.  Which is fair, I’m not sure I’d trust all 3rd party apps to not have a bug that changes a treadmill speed from 6MPH to 15MPH in 1 second and throws me against a wall, like these awesome YouTube videos. *(Update: Wahoo has clarified there’s an exception to this.  An app can send to the treadmill a pre-defined workout with pre-defined paces, and the treadmill will follow those over the course of the workout.  Whereas it won’t allow you to adjust the pace in real-time from the app.)

Ok, so a bunch of specs are all fine and dandy, but what do you do with them?  Well just like when the KICKR came out, Wahoo provided that software API layer for apps to take advantage of.  Now, they’re doing the same thing here.  And just like then, Wahoo has a basic app available to demonstrate components, but they also expect 3rd parties will start supporting it into their apps in creative ways (just like Trainer Road, Kinomap, Zwift, and many others have on the cycling side for the KICKR).

To get folks started, Wahoo has two apps available right now: One for the end user, and one for training studios.

The first one for the end user, allows you to pair the app to a treadmill you find in a gym.  On the treadmill you’ll find a QR code, so you simply use your phone to scan that QR code and it’ll pair the app to the treadmill.  Alternatively, you can connect to saved treadmills/equipment.

Then, the app will record any data streamed from the treadmill, such as your pace, distance, and incline.  You can also add in sensors like a Bluetooth Smart heart rate strap.

You’ll notice below the inclines match (2.5%), as does the pace (a stellar 2.2MPH).

Once all that’s done, you’ll be able to save the workout data just like any other Wahoo app does.

Afterwards you can export or upload it to a slew of sites, like Training Peaks, Strava, and many more:

In addition to the end-user app, they also have one for studios called ‘Studio Connect’.  This app allows you to use hardware such as the North Pole Engineering (NPE) WASP to consolidate data back over WiFi, enabling you to see data from multiple pieces of equipment at once (even different types, as seen here:

Of course, since the system uses FE-C over ANT+, as well as a developer API for Bluetooth Smart, apps can be created to show and do whatever they want.  This allows gyms (think major chains) to create applications around everything from stationary bikes to rowing equipment, without having to buy new pieces of gym equipment – just a simple retrofit module.

Wrap-up

For those lucky folks with the right type of treadmill this could be really cool, especially when it comes to being able to do outdoor course route videos (software app maker Outside Interactive comes to mind).  Alternatively, just to be able to get all of the pace and elevation/incline data up to your Training Peaks or similar accounts (since a footpod wouldn’t get the elevation/incline profiles).

The pricing for the unit will be $199 for the GEM retrofit unit (though, Wahoo noted that there are discounts for bulk purchases for gyms and such).  Shipping is planned by the end of this month.  For OEM’s (treadmill makers), they’re already shipping those units out today and the treadmills are already available.  Of course, it’s just a matter of actually finding one in the wild.

A cursory look at the interwebs for my treadmill that I have in the DCR Cave (a ProForm Performance 1250) doesn’t seem to reveal whether or not it has a CSAFE port, so I’ll have to do some more digging when I return from CES this weekend to see if it’s something I’m able to personally use.  One thing is for sure though, I’m sure as hell not dragging another treadmill down into the cave.  Once was enough for that.

With that – thanks for reading!

Don’t forget to check out all of the DCR CES 2016 coverage, as well as a slew of updates that were only seen on Twitter.  It was a crazy busy week!

You can click here to Subscribe without commenting

int(0) int(98) bool(true) bool(false) bool(false)
  1. MAGNUS

Seems like a very cool doohickey… But I’m kind of hesitant at $200. I already paid several hundred for my gps watch with built in accelerometer.

Ray – off topic question… What software do you use to compare watts/hr data when comparing multiple devices?

2. David

So could I carry one of these to the gym with me? Or is there some “work” that needs to be done on the treadmill?

3. No speed control!! Noooo!!!

I talked with a couple treadmill manufacturers at IHRSA a couple years ago and they told me their problem with speed control was the ability to burn out the motor.

“But…but…I have a control panel right in front of me that I can change the speed with!”

Manufacturers need to just put some controls around that port. Just have a limit for how fast you can change the speed. Heck, just trust Wahoo and have them put it in their API. Problem solved.

Kudos to Wahoo. This is great stuff!

• Jim Hansen

The problem is, once you put that client side, it can be hacked by clever consumers and app developers. As Ray eluded to, one buggy line of code and someone gets punted.

The control panels on treadmills are designed to limit how fast a user can change the speed (or even the incline). Doing that sort of thing programatically is fraught with peril.

• Bryce

I am pleased to see you comment here. I had the exact same thought. If it had speed control then you could develop another platform and call it TrainerRun, and I would line up to pay you another 10 bucks a month:)

• chukko

It is not a rocket science to apply the same limits on the input from the app/port..

• Dan Carter

This is weird – the CSAFE port talks to the treadmill controller via a well defined interface, not direct to the motor – setting the speed to max wouldn’t make it accelerate any faster than pushing the buttons on the console. The CSAFE protocol allows for realtime speed setting so I don’t really understand this.

• Steven Weber

Has TR made any progress with the wahoo Gem?

4. Sylvester Jakubowski

The title had me super excited, and the compatibility with tons of existing treadmills, but what totally killed it is this:

One thing it can’t do – change speed: This is done for safety/legal reasons, and in talking to Wahoo, this sounds like treadmill manufacturers view this line as a ‘over our dead bodies’ type of thing. Which is fair, I’m not sure I’d trust all 3rd party apps

This is basically useless without this and kills any thought of anything like trainerroad happening on the treadmill front.

5. Doug

Is there an “in” and “out” port so the connection can pass through the wahoo unit? My treadmill has the Ethernet connector, but it’s connected without there being an AUX port…

6. Ivan P.

Ray,

After reading your article, I was pretty excited about the announcement. I quickly searched the interwebs for posts or YouTube videos mentioning said CSAFE port on my treadmill. After several fruitless searches, I resorted to the screwdriver.

For those of you with the LANDICE L7 Executive Trainer, no RJ-45 CSAFE port to be found. Checked the motherboard behind the display, and the motherboard next to the motor. No dice.

I too will not be moving this treadmill anywhere. Works great otherwise.

7. EB

The lack of speed does seem like quite a stumbling block. Once I’m running quickly I am not a great fan of hitting buttons to change settings.

I am pretty sure treadmill manufacturers could program around problems if they really wanted eg. Just limit the rate of change of speed and allows limits.

Also legally if an app does something stupid I wonder if the treadmill manufacturers would be liable.

And it sounds like it doesn’t transmit in any format that a watch can record, whilst no mention of the phone being able to use its inbuilt gyroscopes and force sensors to bodge a cadence. I guess third party apps could do that.

8. RAFrisk2

Could be awesome for elliptical’s. With no need for speed control having a device control incline and resistance leaves no features unusable on your equipment. That is if it will work for elliptical’s, they weren’t listed on Ray’s list of examples.

• In asking them about a few other types, they basically said as long as it has a CSAFE port on it, you’re golden.

For new devices of course, they could build it into anything.

9. Pax

Ray – Thank you for sharing this unexpected find in good detail.

And… Kudos to Wahoo for being creative and coming with a unique new solution….
    sure there will be some kinks initially,,, but longer term something more

10. Tobias

Cool thing! But is there any watch that supports this ANT+ FE-C protocol so you can store such data as well on your watch?

11. This is what I’ve been looking for all week so very timely – off to search for a new Star Trac now :)

12. another brilliant idea from Wahoo. great company

They must win some sort of prize for continued sports innovation

13. another brilliant idea from Wahoo. great company

They must win some sort of prize for continued sports innovation

Hopefully speed control will come as others say (if possible)

14. Laurent

Hi Ray
    I actually would be interested to see if I could retrofit my bike home trainer Tacx FLOW T2200 and then make it fully communicating with my garmin… The ethernet port is there…
    Cheers

• I don’t think the Tacx units have CSAFE ports though. It has to understand that standard, versus just any ethernet port.

• Laurent

Thanks for the answer. You may be right but I will still ask Tacx. I will keep you posted if it does.

15. Mikkel Andersen

Sounds cool. You write that it should also work with rowing machines.

Any additional info on how it would work with a Concept2 (the by far most common rowing machine) which happens to be a major part of my off season training?

It is a really great piece of fitness equipment but woefully lacking on the software side. So any easy add-on like this would greatly increase its value.

• Does the Concept2 have a CSAFE port on it?

• Mikkel Andersen

It does (newer versions anyway). But it already transmits Ant+ and works with 3rd party software, so perhaps not a big benefit.

But the 3rd party software is really crappy (expensive and unstable) so hopefully someone will make something better (Zwift for rowing!). A lot of Concept2’s out there, so should be a market for it.

• Eli

You don’t like rowpro?

The PM3 does CSAFE but over USB and has custom extensions to CSAFE:
      link to pcrower.sourceforge.net

The PM4 has a RJ-45 port (well two of them as the units can be linked together) which I think is CSAFE pinout. But also natively does ANT+

The PM5 has the same ports as the PM4 but also natively does ANT+ and BLE
      Cheaper to just upgrade to a PM5 for $180

16. Some really innovative work from Wahoo. Like the turbo trainer table is looks great.

It should be half the price but well done.

I have one plea. Do not get acquired, especially by Intel (you can see this coming a mile off).

17. Simen

Interesting! …but not that interesting again without speed control.

Will stick to my Garmin + footpod.

18. Mike

I understand why they don’t have speed control but without it this just seems like an expensive way to save a few minutes of data entry in Training Peaks, Strava, etc post workout.

19. Tom

Any idea on what this Wahoo Rego is? They updated the apple app last night and mentioned it but ive never heard of it?

20. Art

I’ve had a ProForm treadmill with iFit fit a while now and it is great. I can map a route and it will adjust the incline and match to the Google Earth images it shows and with that, I can change speed in the program. The caveat being that if I’m running sub-6:30 and the route goes to a negative incline, it slows down (not sure if it’s for safety or the motor). If Wahoo could figure out how to do that, maybe they could get past their hesitation.

I would love to be able to ride my Kickr Snap with Virtual Training and then continue my course on my treadmill controlled by this to combine the workout. That assumes CycleOps or another third party looks to do that.

21. Srinivas Kolla

Would this work with a Waterrower?

22. Patrick

Life Fitness (large equipment manufacturer in USA that seems to dominate the USA gym scene) has something not too far off from this that DOES allow for automatic speed control. Yes, you’re inputting the programs ahead of time on an account. Basically you do the same QR code from the Life Fitness Connect ap, your treadmill opens your account and you pick your workouts that you have saved. You can make in-program changes as needed too.

Afterwards it shoots your workout to MyFitnessPal (amongst others) if connected through your account where I assume it can sync with all the other workout keepers. Since I have an old footpod, I save the workout to a watch so haven’t tested the save and sync. My Scosche HR strap (and Bluetooth headphones) connects to those treadmills just fine.

It’s really nice having the treadmill do all the button mashing for you, especially with shorter intervals.

More info at link to lfconnect.com. However, the app has crashed every time I have tried connecting to a treadmill over the last two weeks. Not sure what’s going on there.

• I was thinking of this when I read no speed control… I thought I recalled another app / device supporting this but must be a walled garden approach and they assume all liability

• Patrick

This was one of the first I saw where I could write it online and access it on any connected LF treadmill. Previously you could write workouts on individual machines, but if somebody was on that machine you were hosed. Plus it would only separate equal time intervals. With LFConnect, you can specify the exact amount of minutes and seconds at what speed and incline. They also have a HR based one. Too bad you can’t mix and match to have a speed based warm-up protocol, 15 minutes at ** HR range, etc.

It also boggles my mind that cadence isn’t integrated into treadmills. That would be ridiculously easy.

23. Chris

With no speed control, at $200, no way I’d buy this! It’d basically just be replacing a foot pod for me.

(At the same time, I don’t know if I would trust it with speed control…)

24. So what about elipticals. No one seems to cater for those machines and lots people have them and treadmills. Even Garmin with all the updates for the Fenix no Eliptical?

25. Anyone find a port on a newer Proform? If not guess i’ll get the screwdriver out.

26. Just as a super-quick update after some more discussions with Wahoo this morning, regarding pace control.

Wahoo has clarified there’s an exception to this. An app can send to the treadmill a pre-defined workout with pre-defined paces, and the treadmill will follow those over the course of the workout. Whereas it won’t allow you to adjust the pace in real-time from the app.

I gave them an example of TrainerRoad, and if they could load a workout that had both pace and incline specifications in it, and then have TR send it to the treadmill and the treadmill execute everything autonomously. They confirmed it could.

Whereas TR would not however be able to control the pace in real-time after the workout begin. Similarly, a spin-studio equivalent of a group treadmill session couldn’t have an instructor changing the pace on all the treadmills at command at once.

Good to hear!

27. Paul
  28. Rhett

Can this connect through the iFit port on my treadmill? When I bought my treadmill a while ago I wanted to use the iFit stuff, but back then it demanded an unsecured wireless connection via a $100 add-on just to enable a subscription service, so I never joined the iFit community. I like the treadmill, though, and would love to see the possibilities of using a tablet to run a course and relieve some of the drudgery of the dreadmill.

29. Francois C.

Here is an alternative found on the web: link to fitnessclubtracker.com

30. Lee Weikert

My treadmill doesn’t have an empty CSAFE port; do you think an inline splice adapter would still work? The port I have has the network cable going from the control panel to a circuit board that controls the motor and elevation.

31. Andrew

Looks very interesting, keen to see what the uptake is on this commercially. If anyone can break into the gym environment I would back Wahoo to do it. I like that it’s all intended to be seamless for the user – pretty much any personal ANT+/BLE device will be able to make use of this functionality.

Came across a couple of ancient pages that list brands / models that have CSAFE capability. By no means complete, but it’s a start:
    link to fitnessav.com
    link to fitlinxx.com

Ray – also found a full parts breakdown for your ProForm and hard to say for sure (check the end of the manual):
    link to manualowl.com
    I’d check the back & underneath the treadmill base as that is where the main controller is located.

32. I took apart my Tunturi T40 treadmill but couldn’t find a port… Lot’s of dust though, so it was a good thing anyway 😉

33. This is a major breakthrough and one we have been waiting for for a long time. Our app and videos have incline data embedded but we previously had no way to communicate it. The mill can now also replace the footpod to control video speed for true bi-directional communication. Great job Wahoo. We are on it..

• Tom

Gary,
      That sounds interesting – any timeline yet?
      Thx!

• We’re working on it now for iOS. Wahoo said the Android version should be ready by end of month. We’re realistically looking at early summer, but will definitely be worth the wait.

• Tom

Gary,
      I have a Wahoo GEM retrofit test unit – and would be happy to test drive (or, rather, run) your iOS app. Let me know.

• This is great to know Tom. Will keep you posted.

• Tom

Ok, thx. Need my email?

• Please send along your email.

Gary

• Tom

here it is:
      thomas [at] fox-home [dot] de

• Wahoo plans to demo our Virtual Runner app for iPad w/Bluetooth in their booth at CES. Bi-directional communication will allow the treadmill to control the video speed on the iPad and also receive incline control commands from our app. I think they plan to use a Woodway treadmill. We’ve been testing at a local Gold’s Gym and it’s pretty cool.

34. Troy

maybe off topic

Possible for some type of gadget like this for a gym indoor bike?
    If there’s ports too

35. Tim T

Took a look at the Wahoo site, and I don’t see this product anywhere. Do you know when they plan to make the retrofit module available for sale to the public?

36. Brian

Any word on if it will communicate to Garmin devices, the idea of another app that I would need isn’t too appealing. I would really like to synch it to my watch donut could download to Garmin connect. If that’s the case I’ll buy it in a heartbeat…. Through your clever training link of course.

• Sorta.

It will turn the device into an FE-C unit, but only really the FE part of FE-C*. As such, the Edge 520 and soon Edge 1000 can control FE-C devices such as trainers. But I don’t know what will happen when you try and pair something like a treadmill. My guess is that it’ll probably see the device, and maybe even pair – but then I suspect it’ll go to crap. Might require a Connect IQ app to get settled.

*I was trying to get slightly more specific clarification from the ANT+ folks on the slight differences in terminology here since FE-C is a subset of the FE profile. But alas, the specific person who was going to explain it to me, we kept missing each other at the booth at CES this week. So I’ll follow-up via e-mail.

37. Jay Dunbar

Are the apps available yet? I can’t find them.
    Is there a list of treadmills that have the module built in?

• Not yet, publicly anyway, to my knowledge, I believe they are being used in some clubs in test though. Plus, a lot of it will really come from apps adding in support.

As for a list, none that I’m aware of. I’m optimistic Wahoo might consider something. Else, if there’s an easy way to have found start crowd-sourcing compatible treadmills, I’d be up for being that point of record location with some sort of listing system (open to ideas that are easy to maintain, validate, display*).

*Something that’d allow someone to submit a given treadmill model as inclusive of a CSAFE port and the location, as well as allow another person to validate/dispute that result (I anticipate some people will say a treadmill doesn’t have it externally, but may find it internally later).

• Eli

Have the submitter also give a URL to prove (i.e. link to the manual or web page saying where it is)

• Kyle

Could we use a Google Sheet? Or do you have too many readers and contributors that a Google Sheet couldn’t handle it?

• Kyle

This looks like an old list, but is a decent start: link to fitnessav.com

• That’s a good call. You can multi-user edit in a Google sheet, right?

If so – I’m happy to play moderator and then occasionally port into a more ‘clean’ table in a post.

38. Rz605

Will it connect to a GPS watch through bluetooth smart and send all the data there? Want to ask – will my V800 show pace, distance and even “altitude”/slope when connect to this device?

• No, for a bunch of different reasons. The GPS watch companies don’t want to integrate with Wahoo, so that makes that tough. The Polar & Garmin of the world seem to view Wahoo as competitive (which, is probably correct these days).

39. Very impressed by this. The logical step would be for Wahoo to come to the market with treadmill with robust hardware but limited bells & whistles (which would be all software based). Do you know whether there are any such plans?
    Cheers
    Roberto

• I think one of their challenges in doing so is the shipment aspect. Shipping treadmills is incredibly expensive. Obviously, others do it, but it makes it more difficult for retailers and changes the paradigm a bit on how they sell.

40. Jacov

Have you found any ‘connected’ treadmills out there?
    DKN looks like they’re headed in the right way – I’m not quite sure how the system works though. It says you can connect a phone or tablet and it mentions a built in bluetooth chip, but ANT+ and bluetooth 4.0 aren’t ticked on the spec list.
    I have the previous Roadrunner model and it’s very solid!
    link to dkn-technology.com
    link to dkn-technology.com
    link to dkn-uk.com (notes a built in bluetooth chip)

41. Kyle Foust

Hi Ray,

Were you able to determine if your Proform treadmill has the CSAFE port necessary for the retrofit model? I have a Proform Pro 2000 and have the same question. Can’t find an answer anywhere online and am not ready to start taking the thing apart yet…

Thanks!
    Kyle

• I did not find a port externally anywhere. I haven’t quite gotten to tearing it apart yet though.

• Hi I’m working on a PHD in the area of exerGaming. I’m trying to control the speed of a treadmill in real time based on the users heart rate. Ideally the WahooGym bluetooth connector would be great but without speed control its of no use. I’ve seen people using arduino to control treadmill motors but I was wondering if anyone else knows of any alternatives for realtime speed control ? *Either based on dynamic feedback (such as heart rate) or even remote devices such as an app or remote control ? Any advice would be great.

• Dan Carter

Joey,

Speed control is allowed in the base CSAFE protocol – if you can find a CSAFE treadmill you can control it without the wahoo widget (Is a serial interface, can be done from pc, tablet etc), although hard to say whether any given treadmill has all CSAFE functions enabled.

There are others out there which can do this – I have software speed control on my old NodicTrack treadmill (which has an essentially undocumented serial interface).

Regards,
      Dan

• Thanks for getting back Dan. Yes I’ve come across the CSAFE protocol and have even gotten basic RS232 commands off some manufacturers. I’m hoping to communicate with these commands using an Arduino. I just have a couple of questions….

Did you code the speed control software for the NordicTrack Treadmill yourself and if so what scripting language did you use to communicate with the RS232/CSAFE commands ?

If the software was made by NordicTrack or a thirdparty could you let me know the name of the software and the model of the treadmill.

Could the speed be changed in real time or only set remotely as part of a pre-set program ?

• Dan Carter

Sorry, wasn’t clear. The NordicTrack is not CSAFE – it is a completely unrelated serial protocol. mostly worked out for an elliptical by a guy whose name escapes me at the moment – I adapted it for the treadmill.

I have bits and pieces of code for a CSAFE elliptical, but it was built prior to the Set commands being added to the protocol (and hence is read only). It is however possible to set level/resistance in realtime on a CSAFE hand bike I have, but not speed (as not relevant to that type of machine).

Do you have info from the manufacturers beyond the main spec on the fitlinxx site ? I’d be interested to see that if so.

• Hi Dan – I have only protocol details for the Woodway treadmills.
      I am going to use arduino script to communicate with this protocol via the serial port.
      If you want the xcel sheet email me joey[at]joeycampbell.ie and I’ll send you a copy.

42. Mark

Any news on when the retrofit module is available on the market? I just saw that the Wahoo RunFit app has been updated.

• RMV

There’s a link on the Wahoo website where you can leave your email address if you want more information. I did that the other day and am in discussions with them to purchase. They don’t have an actual link to purchase it on their site. I was given and I was given a phone number to call to purchase via credit card. I’m definitely interested but wish I had more reviews to read. Have any of you bought it yet?

43. Jeff

Anyone know if the Precor 425 Precision series has CSAFE?
    Jeff

• Richard

Working with Precor C966i, though missing speed and incline

44. Andrew

Has anyone gotten one of these in hand yet or have any new info? It looks like the wahoogym site is down, at least at the moment.

• My company is currently testing GymConnect

• Mark

How’s the testing going? Review?

• I don’t have a compatible treadmill. :(

• Testing is progressing. Slower than we’d like but we’re getting there. We are working on both iPad and Android for video speed and incline. We’re focused on treadmills. Bikes down the road, although someone else may be doing something in that space. I don’t know.

45. Robert

I found this after I read your article. It appears to be a list of fitness equipment that utilize the CSAFE port

link to fitnessav.com

46. Emily

So will this work with Zwift Running so that instead of having to manually punch the incline buttons, the Wahoo will automatically adjust your treadmill?

47. Steven Weber

Is this product available yet? I have seen nothing re: consumer availability?

• Mark

You can purchase it only by contacting Wahoo here first:

link to wahoogym.com

• Kyle G

Available now for order here:
      link to wahoofitness.com

I was working on my own project to manually read CSAFE data from my elliptical before I came across this device. I have the cable built and was getting basic CSAFE data (status and workout summary) from the elliptical but wasn’t seeming to have luck getting my Precor EFX546v2 to respond to commands asking for the real-time data i wanted from it. I just ordered the gymconnect and am excited to see if i’ll be able to record incline, watts, cadence, etc for my elliptical workouts. I also have a freemotion FMTL8255 treadmill with the CSAFE port and will be testing it out on that as well.

48. Richard

Hi Ray,

Quick Question – have you done a comparison/test of treadmills (I had a good search on the site but couldn’t find anything), how did you decide on the your current model? many thanks.

49. Sarah

Pay $200 for a cube that can do the same thing as your wearable and actually touching your console!? Too good to be true!

50. Jeff Webster

Interesting read of all of this.
    A question for all of you.
    I’m a Zwift user and interested in Zwift running.
    Have tested with my Stryd pod.
    I’m gonna buy a treadmill.
    I bought the wahoo GEM module ($99).
    In checking on treadmills I can get a refurbished Life Fitness with CSAFE port AND 3% decline or a new TRUE residential with the wahoo OEM module built in (confirming it allows both incline control and the potential for future speed control) but no decline.
    About $2700 for the Life Fitness refurbished or $3100 for the TRUE new residential (no decline).
    Which way would you guys go to ensure future compatibility and a good treadmill?
    Jeff