The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
DCRainmaker.com posts this past week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page of DCRainmaker.com this week:
Sunday: Week in Review–February 5th, 2012
Monday: A weekend of new gadgets- Polar Power Pedals, heart rate strap integrated clothing, and more!
Tuesday: A much better USB ANT+ stick for your Garmin Forerunner…by Suunto
Thursday: Hanging out in a Greek Olympic Stadium (a really old one)
Friday: Friday Tidbits of Note
Stuff that I found interesting around the interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet:
1) The Man Who Lived on His Bike: A great short video on what it would be like to live on your bike – 24×7. Really cool, and also pretty funny.
2) Insightful interview with NPS director over water bottle ban: You probably heard the story last year about the plan to ban single-use water bottle sales in some National Parks. A good interview and detail into the thoughts behind that.
3) Blueooth SIG announces new working group on fitness gadgets: Good to see there’s some coordination now from some of the big players in the Bluetooth Low Energy product world that are now working to standardize integration a bit there. As I talked about during my session at CES – currently it’s a bit of the Wild West with BTLE, and isn’t yet functional for most consumers due to that lack of integration.
4) A test with crazy short sleep schedules: A cool post that’s part of a series of a handful of folks that are trying out Polyphasic sleep (basically sleep in short bursts more frequently). Really interesting look at just normal folks trying to switch their body to that type of sleep schedule, and meshing that with regular life.
5) Adapting a Wahoo iPhone case for rowing (in a boat): An interesting post from a user about how he adapted the Wahoo ANT+ bike case for use in a boat to display metrics about his rowing. Pretty innovative.
6) A runners comeback from open heart surgery to Boston: Was sent this in by a reader who’s documented (and continuing to document) his journey from the operating table to marathon running.
7) And you thought the Lance doping stories were confusing: Just trying following this short story about French husband/wife cyclists – it brings you to a whole new level of confusion on cycling doping scandals.
8) Lances Triathlon Training Peeps: Speaking of Lance, if you were curious as to who exactly Lance Armstrong has been training with when he’s not in the spotlight, an interesting look at his pod of folks. Certainly looking forward to seeing how things go on Sunday for him at Ironman Panama 70.3, as well as the rest of the Ironman branded events he’s signed up for.
9) New Swimovate Software Beta Release: If you’ve got a Swimovate swim tracking watch, and a Mac, then swing on over and check out their beta release.
10) Ice Fishing with the Sony Ericsson Xperia Active: You probably remember me swimming with this ANT+ enabled phone, as well as covering it with sports gel. But attaching it to the end of a fishing line and going ice fishing? He’s got game. (via Robert)
Extreme Ice Fishing
Thanks for reading all!