Heads-up: Huge Sports Tech Sale Underway – 20% Off All Smart Trainers!
There’s a massive sales on smart cycling trainers right now, plus plenty other sports tech. There’s 20% off the Wahoo KICKR, KICKR CORE, CLIMB, Headwind, 20% off the Tacx NEO 2T, Flux 2, and Flux S, 20% off Saris Hammer 3 trainer and Saris MP1 Motion Platform. Plus also 20% off the Elite Direto X and Suito too, even the new Sterzo. Plus even steeper deals including with the Kinetic trainers at 30% off.
The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
DCRainmaker.com posts this past week: Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page of DCRainmaker.com this week:
2) A good breakdown of the new Cervelo P5: While I have absolutely zero plans to pickup the new Cervelo P5 (simply because I don’t need a new triathlon bike), I still found this post a good and easy to comprehend breakdown of the new ride.
3) Remembering Sarah Burke: This week you probably saw a few notes about world class freestyle skier Sarah Burke, and her passing this Wednesday following a skiing accident on January 10th. The above link has some moving photos, though, not nearly as moving as the below video.
5) Nike introduced Nike+ Fuel Wrist tracking band: Like just about every other tech company on earth, Nike’s getting deeper into the ‘fitness tracking’ segment by introducing their Nike Fuel wristband. The wristband is similar to the Jawbone Up, or the FitBit, in that it tracks steps and your general daily wanderings. I’ve hit up the Nike PR folks to get a unit for review.
6) Addictingly cool GoPro 2 video: Saw this earlier in the week – some crazy cool snippets of video, all shot from normal users and just compiled into a giant montage. For those curious, I did actually buy a GoPro 2 before Christmas, though, for the most part, for what I use it for – it’s not much different than the original GoPro HD. Easier to use for sure (due to new LCD menu system), but I use both units interchangeably without much notice.
10) Garmin Rebate for Student Athletes: Are you a student athlete (or a school coach?)? If so, Garmin’s giving you a chance to purchase one of their units at a discount…well, a rebate discount. I suppose this is sorta like the educational programs that companies like Adobe offer. Good stuff. Valid on FR210, FR610 and FR70 (FR70 with footpod only), with a valid student or faculty ID.
Earlier this week Suunto announced their new GPS-integrated Ambit watch. In line with expectations, this watch isn’t focused on triathletes, or really even your casual road runner, but rather hikers, ultrarunners and folks hanging out in the mountains. It’s a fair bit more rugged than most GPS watches, but sports some pretty solid battery life. The unit doesn’t use ANT+, but is compatible with Suunto’s previous ANT (not ANT+) heart rate strap. I’m looking forward to giving it a whirl, and the Suunto folks are aiming to get me a unit to play with here in the near future. Until then, I don’t have much else to base an opinion of the device on – though I think it may be an interesting option for those looking for a barometric altimeter and the awesome battery life (50hrs at 60-second update intervals). Stay tuned!
Thanks for reading all – and have a great weekend!
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
You'll support the site, and get ad-free DCR! Plus, you'll be more awesome. Click above for all the details. Oh, and you can sign-up for the newsletter here!
Here’s how to save!
Wanna save some cash and support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10BTF) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
In the UK/EU/Australia/New Zealand? Then hit up Wiggle at the link below!
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!
You probably stumbled upon here looking for a review of a sports gadget. If you’re trying to decide which unit to buy – check out my in-depth reviews section. Some reviews are over 60 pages long when printed out, with hundreds of photos! I aim to leave no stone unturned.
I travel a fair bit, both for work and for fun. Here’s a bunch of random trip reports and daily trip-logs that I’ve put together and posted. I’ve sorted it all by world geography, in an attempt to make it easy to figure out where I’ve been.
The most common question I receive outside of the “what’s the best GPS watch for me” variant, are photography-esq based. So in efforts to combat the amount of emails I need to sort through on a daily basis, I’ve complied this “My Photography Gear” post for your curious minds! It’s a nice break from the day to day sports-tech talk, and I hope you get something out of it!
Many readers stumble into my website in search of information on the latest and greatest sports tech products. But at the end of the day, you might just be wondering “What does Ray use when not testing new products?”. So here is the most up to date list of products I like and fit the bill for me and my training needs best! DC Rainmaker 2019 swim, bike, run, and general gear list. But wait, are you a female and feel like these things might not apply to you? If that’s the case (but certainly not saying my choices aren’t good for women), and you just want to see a different gear junkies “picks”, check out The Girl’s 2018 Gear Guide too.