I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
Wanna support DCR?
You'll support the site, and get ad-free DCR! Plus, you'll be more awesome. Click above for all the details.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10MHD) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
The DC RAINMAKER PODCAST
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- RT @BestBikeSplit: Excited to see some of the cool tech coming out of #Eurobike! Check out @dcrainmakerblog for some live coverage https://t.co/kC8M1CDGOw. #, 2 hours ago
- @38grenoble I live in France. :) #, 2 hours ago
- RT @tacx: Great to see @dcrainmakerblog at our @EUROBIKE_SHOW booth to review the #TacxFLUX! More: https://t.co/GU47pZKJEh https://t.co/Xws697IpMH #, 3 hours ago
- A Weekend in Chamonix and the Alps: From cycling to hiking to paragliding and tons more! https://t.co/x3zqP6LMVa https://t.co/TvAI5HujVh #, 8 hours ago
- RT @nealrogers: Very cool https://t.co/Psq6xQQSLx #, 22 hours ago
- @luisap Super weird. Not seeing any other outages. :-/ https://t.co/VoMgYz3ZJB #, 22 hours ago
- @mcride @Airfrede Yup, correct. #, 23 hours ago
Well then, someone in Kansas is feeling ballsy today. Garmin has just announced three new Fenix units, starting from $900 and topping out at $1,500USD. Or, if you’re so fortunate to be living in the land of maple syrup, it’ll … Read More Here
Today Garmin announced their latest cycling computer – the Edge 820. Well, actually, they announced two cycling computers: The Edge 820 and the Edge Explore 820. The Explore is simply the dumbed down version of the 820. While the Edge … Read More Here
It’s been a few months since Garmin announced the Vivoactive HR while at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The unit started shipping last month and I’ve been wearing it on my wrist 24x7 since then. The Vivoactive HR sits in Garmin’s mid-range watch pricing … Read More Here
They grow up so fast. Less than two years ago the original Vivosmart was a slightly awkward and kinda scrawny activity band. It’s dim display hardly living up to its fitness features. Then just this past fall came the Vivosmart … Read More Here
Update June 2016: My in-depth review of the Vivoactive HR is now available. Swing on over to that post for all the details! On Friday Garmin announced their new Vivoactive HR & Vivofit 3. As you’ll remember, my post was … Read More Here
Back about two months ago, Garmin announced their first wrist activity tracker (non-watch) with optical HR capabilities, the Vivosmart HR. The Vivosmart HR was designed to build upon the release of the Vivosmart a year earlier. Essentially it’s a daily … Read More Here
It’s been almost exactly a month since Garmin announced their lineup of fall running watches, including three new units: The Forerunner 230, 235, and 630. Each of those units replacing previous iterations of the FR220, 225, and 620. The FR230 … Read More Here
It’s been a few months since Garmin introduced the HRM-TRI & HRM-SWIM, which record heart rate data while you're swimming. They started shipping the units back in mid-August, and through some recent travels in September & October I’ve finally gotten … Read More Here
This past summer Garmin announced their foray into the cycling lights and cycling radar world. Yes, radar. They released their Varia cycling lights product line, which includes the Varia bike radar system that allows you to see approaching cars directly … Read More Here
Minor Confession: A small part of me simply wanted to title this post: “Garmin Releases Yet Another Product This Summer, Because It Can”. But alas, I hear that’s not terribly great for search engine optimization (SEO) and since I get … Read More Here
Today Garmin announced their latest bike computer, the Edge 520 – priced at $299USD. This GPS-enabled unit instantly becomes the most advanced bike computer that Garmin has ever released, adding support for a flotilla of new features. But fear not, … Read More Here
Today Garmin has rolled out two new bike GPS computers, the Edge 20 and Edge 25. These products add to what has seemed to be a near monthly (or more) cadence of new products from the company within the fitness … Read More Here
Earlier this year at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Garmin announced a slew of wearable devices including the new Vivoactive. The Vivoactive was designed as a merger between Garmin’s mid-range fitness watches (i.e. the FR220) and the … Read More Here
The Fenix3 aims to further blend the multisport watch realm (previously dominated by the Garmin Forerunner series), with the outdoor watches (such as the Fenix1 & Fenix2, as well as outdoor handhelds). To that end the Fenix3 is effectively a … Read More Here
Today Garmin introduced a full color mapping GPS wrist watch that doubles as a multisport watch – making for the first time they’ve merged the multisport world with their historically separate handheld mapping units. This new unit – the Garmin … Read More Here
Garmin has announced a metric crapton of products today, but it’s the Vivoactive that I’m probably most excited about. Or, at least, it's the device I feel has the most potential and the widest possible appeal. But, perhaps I’m getting … Read More Here