37 responses

1. TarHeel Tri

Congrats Ray! Think about that line..3 IM’s in just over 14 months

That is straight up impressive.

Well done, and its great to hear your post-race breakdown, hope you’re recovering well and happy with your race

2. Ryan
    November 10, 2009

Unless one rides in a peloton along the IMFL course, I think it is harder than people give it credit. It is flat but fighting winds and staying aero really takes its toll on body and mind (yes it is boring to stare straight down at the road for 5 hours).

I was hoping that you were going to be the cameraman busting the blatant drafters, I could imagine you doing something like that; I’m too concerned with losing 1 watt of aero by putting a camera on my helmet.

Congrats on staying tough out there. Nothing worse than losing motivation with 30 miles left on the bike…oh and there is that marathon too!

Still…You set a PR and that is always a kick ass thing!!!

My favorite line of the report,

” I really enjoy the shorter distances more. A lot more.”

3. Mike
    November 10, 2009

AWESOME!!! Great job and great report!!!

4. Sean Lemecha

AMAZING, Ray.

How did the tennis-ball containers hold up in actual race conditions?

You don’t have anymore surprise Ironmans coming up now, do you? Arizona??

5. Jenny Davidson
    November 10, 2009

It definitely sounds like a mentally tough race, ugh… Good work getting it done.

Yoga + slight bike fit tweaking?

Race Olympic-distance and 70.3 next year for speed?…

(Anyway, wait long enough till your next IM that you can approach it more in the spirit of serious play – it is truly drudgery out there otherwise, surely!)

6. Behzy

Awesome job Ray!!

7. michwea
    November 10, 2009

Awesome result and awesome race report! I hung on every word and picture. Congratulations on your achievement!

8. Runner Leana
    November 10, 2009

3 IMs in 14 is really impressive! Nice job on pushing through the hard parts and finishing strong. I found your thoughts on the pancake flat course versus IMC hills to be pretty interesting. Riding around Calgary it is pretty hilly so I’m not really sure I’d enjoy such a flat course. And I definitely wouldn’t enjoy all of those pelotons! That video was crazy! That guy really took a lot of flac from some people.

You’ve had a really busy year. Hopefully you have a chance to put your feet up and relax a bit, and enjoy some of the Girl’s cupcakes! Nicely done on IMFL.

9. Kim
    November 10, 2009

way to hang in there ray! you kicked ass out there. i wonder about the drafting in Coz – hopefully it wont be as bad as IMFL! congrats again!

10. Runner Leana
    November 10, 2009

Turns out the final finisher for IMFL has a blog in my google reader:
    link to happymoe.blogspot.com

11. Nat
    November 10, 2009

Great Job Ray! I am hoping to just make it through and survive my IM and you do three in 14 months? WOAH. Impressive to say the least. Love your blog and race reports. Also love that you support those coming in around 17 hours – that might be me! Way to go!

Congrats Man!

I was there. Totally agree with what you saw in regards to drafting.

My ego got the best of me. I thought i could beat the draft packs and ride ahead of them. Red-lined too much and ended up an DNF :(

13. Lesser is More
    November 10, 2009

Congrats on a great race, despite some of the issues you experienced along the way. But remember now that you have the benefit of a power meter, you can gauge your effort based on high watts, not speed. It is very easy to be frustrated at a slow time or average speed, but so long as you know you were putting out solid wattage (which you clearly were), you did the best you could do. You also could have very easily said screw it and jumped onto one of those ridiculous packs. That’s gotta be a hard race to officiate.

So congrats on a great season. Now rest up and chill out!

14. runningcommentaries
    November 10, 2009

Great job and most importantly, great attitude! Every race is an opportunity to learn and it sounds like you learned some great lessons. I have no doubts you’ll be at Kona soon!

3 full iron distance races in 14 months is amazing.

15. CoachLiz
    November 10, 2009

Great job on hanging tough when you wanted to throw in the towel. I really like the shorter distances better but I thought I would give it another try at finishing a race in the dark.

I just hope people are around to cheer me in as I drag myself across the finish line.

16. Stuart
    November 10, 2009

Great job running through the pain, literally and metaphorically!

It’s been a busy 14 months indeed!

But I have to say, jeez that’s a lot of people!

17. Bob D
    November 10, 2009

Great report, I feel like I was there. Congrats on the PR and nice AG finish even though you wanted better. What cool tool did you use for those autoposts?

18. Rainmaker
    November 10, 2009

Thanks everyone – appreciate it!

Sean – The tennis ball containers worked pretty well. I had a little trouble during my first bottle extraction where it got wedged into it, but after a few seconds I got it out. But otherwise quite fine.

Bob – I use Windows Live Writer to compose/draft and then publish all my posts. It’s free and like using MS Word. It allows me to specify dates/times (pre and post dating).

link to download.live.com

19. Heidi Austin
    November 10, 2009

congrats and thanx for sharing! i just signed up for fl next year :)

20. Justine
    November 10, 2009

Congrats!!! Way to finish 3 IMs in 14 months = S.I.C.K. Great race report and pics!!

21. MaineSport
    November 11, 2009

Great race, and an impressive season! Come join the side of Oly racers- it’s much more fun, and you get to do it more often.

22. AUdrey
    November 11, 2009

HI RAINMAKER!!! YOU ARE AN IRONMAN GOD!! Congratulations on your THIRD ironman and i look forward to seeing you kick ass in 2010. Enjoy your off-season!!!

23. allyson
    November 11, 2009

Awesome job on completing your 3rd Ironman. I notice you pass me around mile 15/20 on the bike. The pace groups drove me crazy at first, saw two guys crash and thought i am staying away from them and there is nothing i can do about it, def thought i was in the Tour de France, not an Ironman. Again, great job, keep up the good work, love reading your blog.

How did you get your race photos, on the bike and finish?

24. Mel-2nd Chances
    November 11, 2009

Wow, congrats again! 3 in 14 months is incredible! That course really is flat eh?

25. Nick
    November 11, 2009

Great Race Report. I’d say you certainly have Ironman Skillz and Jellyfish Skillz as well.

As for going out and cheering on the final few, that is awesome you did that. With me being slow as I am, do enjoy the cheering from you fast people who have long finished the race.

26. Kim
    November 11, 2009

Congratulations on another IronMan finish! I certainly enjoy reading your detailed race reports.

27. Chalupa
    November 11, 2009

You are an Animal. Thanks for giving me a cheer everytime you saw me. It really helped to hear something on the run

28. Frayed Laces
    November 11, 2009

Thanks for this report and all the photos! I just signed up for 2010 IMFL—my first ironman distance event, so it’s good to read the play-by-play from your perspective. Someone passed along the link to your report. I heard about the drafting on ST, but that video speaks volumes. Glad you didn’t get caught up in that nonsense.

29. Maryland Girl aka Michelle
    November 11, 2009

Your posts are great! Thanks for sharing the journey!

30. Lindsey
    November 11, 2009

Sounds like a rough day – way to push through to the end! Congrats!

31. ShirleyPerly
    November 12, 2009

Congrats on another IM!!!

I had no idea you were doing IMFL. Glad to hear a lot of folks got penalties for drafting. I hate seeing pelotons roll past with no refs around to catch them. But I do love staying in aero for long periods of time. In fact, I almost didn’t want to get a road bike because I didn’t have the upper body or hand strength to stay upright for more than 20-30 min until fairly recently.

32. Adam
    November 12, 2009

great report! awesome job and i love the summary! helps people like me, who are training for an ironman but who have not completed one, understand what to expect!

thanks

33. Donald
    November 12, 2009

Your reports get better and better – as do your race performances. Great job, dude. Classy move to pull up at the end, too.

You you went the Sindballe route with the all-white, huh? Any post-race conclusions yet on how that worked, or if you’d do it again?

34. Andrew
    November 14, 2009

Awesome job, congrats on another Ironman finish

35. jeanne
    November 21, 2009

sweet!!

You look adorable in white!

Seriously, great great job pulling through all that toughness. and congrats on another PR. You da man!

and on behalf of slow people, thank you for cheering.

36. TriDave
    November 24, 2009

Ha! I was the guy that called you out as “The DC Rainmaker” blog master before the final finishers at midnight. Great race report and I love the blog. Congrats on your races this season and I look forward to seeing you again in 2010.

37. Bill Silva
    November 27, 2009

What? No bee sting this time? I guess that only happens at IMC.

Congratulations, Ray. Hope you slowed down long enough to enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner!