The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
DCRainmaker.com posts this past week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page of DCRainmaker.com this week.
Monday: Garmin Edge 810 In-Depth Review
Monday: Garmin Edge 510 In-Depth Review
Wednesday: CES 2013: The Loot I’m Bringing Back
Thursday: CES 2013: A look at what’s coming to me next week
Friday: Hands on with the new Leikr GPS sports watch
Saturday: CES 2013: Health and Activity Monitors–Bringing it back to reality edition
Notable Youtube video:
A ton of you asked for a sound comparison between the Wahoo KICKR and another trainer. So I grabbed the decibel meter, the LeMond Revolution, the Kinetic Road Machine, and the Wahoo KICKR – and did them one after another. Enjoy!
The Queue posts:
The Queue is a place where I post quick galleries of products that have just started the review cycle. Here’s more from the onslaught of new products that have come in lately (with tons more planned over the next few weeks). At the moment, these don’t show up in the main RSS feed since they are just quick galleries. You can however subscribe specifically to The Queue RSS feed here (mostly to just use it as a notification mechanism).
To see all previous Queue galleries, simply click here.
WOOT! Check it out!
Here’s a place I was highlighted this week:
Newton Running Blog: Apparently the Newton running folks enjoy sports technology just as much as I do. Cool!
Stuff that I found interesting around the interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet:
1) 10 Companies on the cutting edge of sports technology: An interesting look at companies that you wouldn’t necessarily think of, but are doing cool stuff.
2) 2012 a year in cycling photos: More awesome photos from the CyclingTips blog. Just go there for your weekly dose of cycling related…well…almost porn.
3) TrainingPeaks CEO on Top 10 2012 accomplishments: Given many of us use TrainingPeaks, I found this worth of a quick read. Especially some of the hints on what is coming.
4) Brand Ambassador and Sponsorship Programs for Endurance Athletes: A great list of opportunities out there for triathletes (in particular, age groupers and point end folks alike).
5) Tim Trains Chandler for Master’s Cyclocross World Championships: A pretty hilarious video that I’m pretty sure most cyclists will enjoy.
6) Wanna build an ice rink in your backyard? Well, here’s how to do it. Complete DIY instructions. Regrettably, I seem to be lacking the whole ‘cold’ thing here. Bummer.
7) Wired Tech Running T-Shirt: Stumbled on this while doing my usual Friday night sweet of new Kickstarter projects. As one who’s recently been doing some headphone running testing out new products (I usually don’t run with headphones), it’s an intriguing option. I’m not sure if I run with headphones enough that I’ll pick one up. But, for those that do…FYI.
9) Article on controversial coach tri coach Brett Sutton (coached Chrissie Wellington and other top pros): Worth a read, for any number of reasons. If you have a few hours to spare, you can then chase it down with this thread.
10) A look at how much walking tech journalists do at CES: A bunch of the Gizmodo crew wore various Fitbits and the like, here were their results. I’ve been looking at mine a bit, but unfortunately my timezone was off – so it was somewhere between 13,000 and 20,000 for that one day (steps). (via Steve E.)
Sports Technology Software/Firmware Updates This Week:
Each week I quickly highlight some of the new firmware, app, software and website service updates that I see go out. If you’re a sports technology company and release an update – shoot me a quick note (just one liners is perfect, or Tweet it at me) and I’ll make mention of it here. If I don’t know about it, I won’t be able to post about it. Sound good?
Magellan Fitness Updates Website: A ton of fixes/changes and new features to their Fitness website for the Switch and Switch Up.
That’s all folks! Thanks for reading!
FOUND THIS POST USEFUL? SUPPORT THE SITE!
Hopefully, you found this post useful. The website is really a labor of love, so please consider becoming a DC RAINMAKER Supporter. This gets you an ad-free experience, and access to our (mostly) bi-monthly behind-the-scenes video series of “Shed Talkin’”.
Otherwise, perhaps consider using the below link if shopping on Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, but your purchases help support this website a lot. It could simply be buying toilet paper, or this pizza oven we use and love.