Ironman Canada 2008 Race Report

IMG_5156 640 x 960

(My brother in the 5AM hour writing in chalk on the run course)

Before I get started, in case ya missed it, here’s the days leading up to Ironman Canada, covering all of the pre-race action: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3.

Oh…and you knew this was going to be long… but look at the bright side – at least I didn’t divide it into three even longer pieces (Swim/Bike/Run). :)


I woke up around 5:00AM and planned to get to the race site by about 5:45AM.  Given virtually everything was taken care of the day before, all I had to do was just load my nutrition bottles, snap in my Garmin Forerunner 305 watch to my bike, and put on my wetsuit.  But before that I first had to drop off my run and bike special needs bags.  There were a bunch of boxes lined up with numbers on them.  You just tossed your run bag in one, and bike bag in the other.  They loaded them onto the trucks in the (fuzzy) background.


From there I walked a few more feet to body marking.  It was fancy-style with two marker-people per athlete, and they had you step up on a little stool.  Again, sorry for the fuzzy early morning cell-phone photos.


After that into the transition area I went.  Dropped off the bottles, swapped some bag items, filled my bike with air, and then off to porta-potties.


(Good news…from here on out – no more cell phone photos!)

Then it was time to head to the water.

IMG_8579 1280 x 806

The Swim:

At around 6:30AM they started to let people into the beach area.  I was still happy in a porta-potty at the time, but eventually I made my way over at around 6:40 – just in time to see the pro’s head off.

IMG_8593 1280 x 853

I waded into the water and swam out 25-50 yards and just sat out there for a few minutes.  I faced the beach and just checked out the scene.  There were numerous moments during the course of the day where you start to tear up – turning around and looking at all the folks along the shoreline and in the water was one of those moments.  A person to the right of me was noticing the same thing and say “I wish they could see the view from out here…incredible”.

IMG_8614 640 x 960

The swim caps are simple: Pink for gals, blue for guys.  Pro’s had yellow.

IMG_8621 1280 x 853

Eventually they called us back to the line (a little banner strung across the bay).  This is when they started to play U2’s ‘It’s a Beautiful Day’.  Which is incredibly powerful to hear.  It would also be the second of many moments when I started to tear up.  They started to shout out and ask who was going to be an Ironman.

IMG_8622 1280 x 853

And then came the 30 second warning.  A quiet calm fell over all the people around me.  I was located on the front of the swim line, standing directly on/under the banner.  In the above photo, I was about 1/3rd of the way up the line.

My plan for the swim was to just take it easy and make it a non-event.  But I also wanted to get stay out of as much of the mess as possible, so I knew that staying on the front edge would probably afford me some of that.

IMG_8635 1280 x 853

Then the canon sounded and off we went.  Well…some of us went off anyway, I’m not exactly clear on what the game plan was for the guy below…but it seems like his plan was more relaxing than mine.

IMG_8648 1280 x 853

The swim wasn’t too bad.  It’s a big one-loop swim making a large triangle around two house-boats.  Highlights and lowlights included:

  • I got kicked in the face four times and had my goggles fill with water all four times.  But I got DAMN good and flipping on my back like a sea otter and emptying them out all in about the length of 2 strokes.  I was really personally excited about this quickly developed aquatic capability.
  • I had one Type-A pink-cap forcefully push my down.  After a few tri’s you can tell the difference between an accidental push and a force-full push and hold down on your back.  After that she then held onto my leg and pulled me backwards.  Let’s just say…I solved that problem and she stopped doing that.  I don’t care if your the hottest chick out there…
  • The two corners were the most weird feeling on earth.  It was like a calm before a storm.  Leading up to and after each corner it was typical thrashing.  But the actual corner was complete calmness.  We all just somehow swooshed around it in one big massive tidal wave.  The only thing I can compare to is like playing old school Mario Kart where you cornered sorta sideways (about 18 seconds into that YouTube clip).  It was just unreal.
  • At any rate… as I started to turn to home and had to perform another sea otter maneuver I was just amazed at the massive wake of people behind and in front of me.  Astounding.

In my little ‘predictor’, I had put in 1:06 for my swim time.  Ad 1:06:43, I exited the water and crossed the timing mats into T1.  The swim was a non-event, which is exactly what the plan was.  One peach done, many more to go.

T1 was very very quick.  I hit up the wetsuit strippers and it was off in no time.  Unfortunately they didn’t allow us to put our shoe and helmets on our bikes like the Pro’s were allowed to.  Ours had to be in a little gear bag that we took with us into the transition changing tents.  So that cost me some time.  But I just zipped into the tent, sat down and put on my shoes and helmet and bailed out of the tent.

Because my cycling shoes were kinda wet due to water on the grass, as I passed my bike rack I performed the most awesome slide across the pavement.  I had to have slid at least 6-8 feet trying to stop.  It was classy.

I completed T1 in 2:53.

IMG_5178 732 x 600

The Bike:

The bike course started out down main street with the crowds lining the route.  I actually saw both my Dad and brother a few hundred yards up the street.  How I picked them out of the crowd is beyond me, perhaps they were shouting my name.  No idea.  There were many blurry moments during the day.

IMG_8664 1280 x 853

During the pre-race briefing the day before the officials were good about being reasonable.  They said that they understood that during the first miles of the bike course they knew that keeping out of draft zones was going to be tough and weren’t going to be tightly enforcing it until things thinned out. 

But I think some took it a bit too far.  There was some serious Tour de France Peloton’s goin’ on out there till Richter and the refs weren’t even blinking.  Speaking of Richter…here’s the course profile:


The three climbs are McLean Creek, Richter Pass and Yellow Lake.  McLean creek was a non-event.  I don’t really even remember it.  I do remember going slower though, which was the climb.  And I remember going down, that was fun – albeit kinda blind so not as fun as later on.

As we were approaching Richter, Shawn passed me and said hello.  We would play tag back and forth for the next 8-10 miles leading up to Richter.  On Richter as we all slowed down to single digit speeds we chatted for a few seconds and he reminded me (correctly) that I was pushing it a bit too hard on some of the earlier hills and that it’s still ‘a long day ahead’.

There was a few hills leading up to Richter that I broke into Z4 trying to stay out of draft zones, however once on Richter I was calmly in Z2/Z3.  It was funny, as Shawn was giving me valued advice, some German guy pushed hard up the early section of Richter out of breath saying “How can you guys be carrying a conversation!?!”.  To which I almost responded – ‘Because you’re pushing too hard’, but decided against it.  I passed him calmly a short while (2 minutes) later and never saw him again.  Richter pass was otherwise a piece of cake.

Here’s me cresting Richter Pass:

IMG_5183 1280 x 853

Descending Richter was awesome.  And really rather fast.

IMG_8686 1280 x 853

It was shortly after Richter that I hit my highest speed ever on a bike – 51.6MPH.  I remember looking down and thinking – Holy Crap this would hurt if I fell.  But…it was a blast!


After that it was the seven rollers between the passes.  It’s hard to tell on the profile of the course, but there are seven hills in there that just grind away at you.  Shawn and I would continue to play tag for another dozen or so miles.  Here’s me climbing one of those seven hills:

IMG_8697 1280 x 853

After that it was out to a short detour through the out and back section.  This area goes out on a random road about 5 miles and back about five miles.  In what would be the first strange bike incident of the day, I actually got stung by a bee on my leg.  It hurt for a few minutes, and then made a neat little mark, and then I slowly forgot about it.  But go figure… a bee?

Eventually I made my way to Yellow Lake – the last ascent before cruising all the way back to town.  The crowds were unreal there, cars stopped on the road and people lining both sides of the hill – just like you see in The Tour, with a small 8-10 foot wide path for you to go up in the middle of them.  This would be another one of those ‘Wow, I’m really doing an Ironman’ teary eyed moments.

The crowds were incredible.  No matter where you were on the course – even 50+ miles from the middle of nowhere, there were people sitting out on the course.  The town is unbelievable in their support.

IMG_8728 640 x 960

Once hitting Yellow Lake, it was time to descend back into town.  This was basically a nice solid downhill stretch of 40MPH for a while before hitting the busy town center.

IMG_8734A 1280 x 852

(Coming down the backside of Yellow Lake, my new banner photo was also taken at the same time, both by my brother)

So once I was back in town, I figured all was good.  I no longer had to worry about crashing at 50MPH down a hill and getting a DNF on the bike.  All I had to do was simply run a marathon in just under 10.5 hours.

And that’s when it happened.  At mile 110 I saw a 6 year old on his small bike in the road ahead.  I think he was trying to cross or something but became disoriented and started to panic when a group of about three of us sorta side-by-side-side descended down upon him (at about 20MPH).  I saw it coming and quickly started pulling on the brakes, thinking the kid would just stop and I’d be able to cruise by.

But nope, he kept on chugging on this diagonal line (represented by the red arrow below).  I was still hitting the brakes, but I didn’t really have anywhere to go other than the curb.  I yelled out a huge scream, but that didn’t seem to help my case much either.  He narrowly missed the other two bikers, but T-boned straight into my left side – at basically the exact same moment I hit the curb.  Somehow in the whole thing I actually remembered to clip-out, so I didn’t fall over off the bike.


(Admit it, you are amazed and blown away by my Microsoft Paint skillz, I did this all by myself.  Ignore the fact that my little bikes look like cows.)

I was fine, and the kid seemed fine (minus his parents now yelling at him).  Given I was fine and the kid wasn’t crying, I bailed.  However, I left some of my leg behind on his handlebars. Well, I’m pretty sure that’s what cut me up anyway.  My bike was pretty much fine too as I took the brunt of his bike right into my lower leg. I was just happy I didn’t have to add another 2 miles to my marathon and run the bike in.  Although, in retrospect I would have had the story of a lifetime to tell if I ran a gimp bike in.  Here’s a shot of my leg about 5 hours later, after 4 hours of rain washing it clean.  It was much cooler when there was still blood streaming down it on the run.

IMG_5248 1280 x 853

At any rate… I finished up on the bike and blitzed through T2.

Bike Split: 5:29:12 (Avg: 20.4 MPH)

I had predicted/assumed a bike split of 5:28:30 – so I was pretty darn close to my predicted split.  Although my goal split was a few minutes faster.

My T1 time was fairly quick though at only 1:46.  And that includes having the sunscreen ladies cover my shoulders in sunscreen!

The Run

I knew at about Yellow Lake that I wasn’t going to be able to run the marathon pace that I wanted to.  It’s just that at Yellow Lake I didn’t know why I wasn’t going to.  Meaning, I was tired but I just assumed it was because it was a long day.  But more about that later…

Off I went out of transition area and straight into walking for two minutes.  You have no idea how hard it was to walk straight out of transition for two minutes (at a brisk pace) – but I was following the plan laid out for me (speaking of which, someone shouted out my full name right near the start of the run – I’m still not sure who it was – but I’d love to know – thanks for the cheers!).  At exactly the two minute marker I picked up the run pace and started trekking up Main Street.

At around mile 5 I went past my brother, mom and Dad – where they took these photos:

IMG_8737 1280 x 853

DSCN0006 1280 x 960

The reality was that I was already hurting.  Not physically, but just energy wise.  I was drained.  I was still following my plan of walking every aide station, but the walks became longer.

Soon the walks stretched from the planned 30-60 seconds to a few minutes.  And then it was walking some of the hills.  Miles 9-12 were tough.  The wind was absolutely brutal coming off the lake.  Strongest winds I’ve ever run in, and sustained for essentially 6 miles without any protection.  Well, actually, that’s not entire true.  I did exchange the wind for protection…in the hills.  It was so strong that if you dropped your cup on the ground, the thing would instantly go flying off into the distance faster than you can run.

Here’s a short one of the official photographers took – you can tell I’m not exactly thrilled at this stage.

IMG_8861 1280 x 853

I was doing the math and slowly watching my goal times slip away.  I had revised my goal time already once from 10:15 to 10:30, and now was revising it again to simply make 11.  Heck, I had just finished walking the better part of a mile at that point.

It was around the turnaround though that I actually had some renewed energy.  I think it was because I saw Shawn again just ahead of me and it gave me a goal – something to shoot for.  So I made it a goal to try and catch back up.  Really, you have to remember at this stage I’m grasping for anything.

I slowly cutdown on my walk breaks and really kept them to more or less just the aide stations.  I also actually started taking in calories.  Remember that mention of being short on energy?  Well, come to find out later on when I picked up my bike – I only took in 40% of my planned caloric intake on the bike.  Yup, that’s it.  Oh, and on the run – 10% of my total planned gel consumption.  So I was simply running on nothing.  Except your brain doesn’t function that well at this stage – it didn’t process these two together.  At the turnaround I had a few cups of Gatorade and soup and started to feel better – but I didn’t even link that together as the cause of feeling better, so I stopped doing that for no good reason.  My HR was low, my legs didn’t hurt – I just had no energy.  I need to somehow make a little chart for myself when I’m on the run and tattoo my arm or something, cause I never seem to learn.


(For those not familiar with HTFU, see here)

But I actually started cooking on the way back after the turnaround.  I was running almost according to plan.  About 8:25 minute miles + about 45-60 seconds at each rest station (walking).  I had even gathered a small pack that was running with me and told me I was keeping a very solid pace for them.  It was like three of us marching together in silence.

The whole time I was doing math in my head of course.  Can I make 11 still?  At the turnaround, it was rough mathematically.  It required me to run 10 minute miles – which on any other day would be easy.  But not today.  Today it was like maintaining a 5 minute mile pace.  Somewhere along the way though, the math started actually really working in my favor.  Then it became a new game – can I make 10:49:49?

And that became the name of the game.  Keep on going steady to just make that.  Mile after mile I did just that.

Did I mention it rained for the last 18 miles of the marathon?  Thank goodness – as it kept me cool!

IMG_8878 659 x 959
(Coming down the last half mile of the run)

As I came down the home stretch in the last few hundred meters, I knew I was going to make 10:49:49.  There was a girl and a guy about 20-30 feet of ahead of me, I think both in my AG actually.  But there was no point in passing them – I knew I would make my time so I eased up a bit – let them enjoy their moments, and then came down in front of the crowds and enjoyed it myself!

IMG_5237 1280 x 853

And then…done!

IMG_8801 635 x 959

After that I was whisked away by some of the best volunteers on earth.  First stop was to get my splits sticker put on my bib.  Kinda nifty – a quick little sticker that has all my splits on it.  Next step was to get my official finisher photo:

IMG_8797 658 x 960

Then she brought me over to the chairs and food/drinks.  That’s where she pretty much stayed with me and got me whatever I needed.  Hot soup, drinks, etc… Good deal!

IMG_8744 - Copy 1280 x 765

(I’m the one in the blue coat – my Mom managed to worm her way in to give it to me)

Oh, and here’s my volunteer person who ‘caught’ me at the finish like and watched over me for a bit.

IMG_5239 1280 x 853

After a while (like 45 or so minutes) – it started to occur to me that I was shaking pretty uncontrollably (actually, it was mostly noticed by other people around me asking if I was alright).  I was getting very very cold fairly quick, and hot soup wasn’t helping anymore.  My mom then tried to go get my dry clothes bag with my info, but was rejected.  So I had to make the walk way the heck away (we’re talking a few hundred yards here – that’s simply like miles away at this point).

IMG_5238 1280 x 853

But eventually I got my warm clothes and then changed out of my soaking wet stuff and I stopped shaking.  I was just happy the medical people didn’t pull me into their tent.  It’s a bad-bad place.

So with that… that’s my Ironman Race Report.

My total times were:

Swim: 1:06:43
T1: 2:53
Bike: 5:29:12
T2: 1:46
Run: 4:08:45
Total: 10:49:19, Overall Position: 250, AG Position: 15

I learned a ton this year during my first one.  Mostly that nutrition is a game you can’t win if you get behind.  I hit my swim and bike goals, but came up very short on the run goal due mostly to nutrition (or lack thereof).  I was actually really good about my overall HR zones on the bike, as well intake of both water and salt tablets.  And while I thought I might be disappointed for missing some of my goals – I’m surprisingly not.  I truly am more than happy just to have finished.  Oh, and I’m already signed up next year. :)

And it was great having my Mom/Dad/Brother up there, awesome support.  Plus, they took the majority of the photos above – which are also awesome!

Tomorrow-ish I’ve got a whole post just about what happens at midnight (17 hours from the start, which is the race finish) – including some cool videos I took, as I think that deserves it’s own post.  Plus another post for all of the festivus that happens on the day after the race.  And then…you’ll be IMC-post free for another year.


Hopefully, you found this post useful. The website is really a labor of love, so please consider becoming a DC RAINMAKER Supporter. This gets you an ad-free experience, and access to our (mostly) bi-monthly behind-the-scenes video series of “Shed Talkin’”.

Support DCRainMaker - Shop on Amazon

Otherwise, perhaps consider using the below link if shopping on Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, but your purchases help support this website a lot. It could simply be buying toilet paper, or this pizza oven we use and love.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked.
If you would like a profile picture, simply register at Gravatar, which works here on DCR and across the web.

Click here to Subscribe without commenting

Add a picture



  1. Dham Ray I am so proud of you and never even met you… I need to start preparing myself and do the 2010 Ironman in Canada so I can compete beside such an inspiration…

    All Rise to… RAY MAKER coz is officially an IRONMAN…

    Good Work Ray…

  2. Liz

    You are a rock star! I am so inspired! Seriously, congratulations.

    I am looking forward to seeing what you ate at the buffet!

  3. Yay Ray! (I’m a poet and I didn’t even know it.)

    Reading your adventures as you’ve prepared for this race has be awesome, and I’m so glad that you had a great experience at your first Ironman. You worked so hard to get to that finish, so congrats!

  4. Wow!

    Aggressive swim chicks, bee stings, disoriented 6 y.o. with bikes, rain, and wind. And you still had an awesome finish time!

    What kills me is that your marathon finish time with all of your walking breaks is faster than all of my past marathons and will probably be faster than my San Antonio Rock n’ Roll Marathon where I am planning on only taking small walking breaks in the aid stations.

    YOU ROCK!!! Very proud of you man! It is both a very humbling experience and a life changing experience at the same time. You are no longer just Ray, you are now IRON-RAY!!!

  5. Lmao! Your race report is a riot, I’m not sure which I like more your report or your time. It was brutal out there and you did great! And Noooooo, stripper was not my first choice, body markings was :) but I was very happy with transitions. Looking forward to Canada 09!

  6. You make it sound so easy! Congratulations Ironman!

  7. Great report! I find it astounding that you were so down on your nutrition intake and still managed to pull off the time that you did.

    Simply amazing. Congratulations again!

  8. Great time and report next year eat more on the bike and you break 10:00 …
    Yeah feel free to run by me a t Patriots I ll be spectating on Sunday because my girl friend is doing th olympic …

    Take care and enjoy the rest this fwe days

  9. Awesome awesome awesome. Despite the nutritional mistake, you seem like an experienced vet at this IM stuff – I’ll bet you’ve got some crazy fast times ahead of you someday.

    Congrats on your success this year – you’ve definitely worked your butt off to earn it!

    And yes, I LOVED the bike diagram!

  10. Congrats, Ironman! I love the microsoft paint drawing and your little sad face on the bike. Nice!

  11. A BIG Congratulations to you on an astounding finish. I cried as I laid back from my bike accident injuries that day, knowing that I missed out on all the fun, excitement, and emotions.

  12. Sandy

    Congratulations Ray!! You’re an Ironman!! And you definitely redefined HTFU along the way! I had enjoyed reading your posts leading up to IMC, and was anxiously awaiting for you to recover to write your race report. It was well worth the wait. Thanks for sharing your journey with us mere mortals. I humbly bow to you!

  13. David Treadwell

    Nice work staying focused and finishing in a great time despite that bike crash!

  14. Awesome recap of an awesome race, Ray.


  15. Anonymous

    What an awesome job during the race. I had tears reading your race report.

  16. Congrats on such a great such an awesome race at Canada :) The same thing happened to one guy in CDA… about halfway through… but he wasn’t so lucky! You are truely an Inspiration. Nice Job IRONMAN!

  17. Congratulations on a great race! And I always look forward to the unique Ray experiences that cannot be duplicated anywhere else.

    P.S. The picture does make a very nice header shot!

  18. HOLLER!!!


    Congratulations! I am super proud of you!! Think how far you’ve come!!

  19. great stuff. ray……..
    loved the re creation of the accident..hilarious….

    pretty wild how you hit your swim and your bike times, pretty much right on….

    wow….only 40 percent of your planned nutrition??/ you recovered nicely…

    fantastic stuff big guy….
    look forward to the post on the happenings at hour 17.. seeing as how my first was a 16 hour 45 min time in a non m-dot race with hardly anyone still around…i bet this will be a big difference…

    enjoy your time away..chill and if i hear you’ve been doing phelps splits in the pool this week, there will be hell to pay!!!LOL!!
    way to go IRONMAN!!!!!!!!!!

  20. Awesome race report. It pays to have a good race crew with you to take such great pictures and capture the day for you…because it seems like the “official” photos don’t do the day justice.

    And I like how you gave your bike tri-spoke wheels in the diagram. Nice touch to make it as accurate as possible.

  21. What a GREAT Race Report! I just flipped over from JT’s blog…wow, well done…

    You certainly had it all, bees, bike accidents, mountains, rain and overly aggressive swim chicks…

    Way to go Ray!

  22. What a great report. I teared up at all the appropriate moments! And what a way to overcome all the issues you had to face! Enjoy your recovery!

  23. Congratulations Ray!!!! What a fantastic race. Reading your report really is an inspiration. That wound on your leg looks pretty painful. The poor kid on his bike must have been really freaked out.

    Congratulations on signing up for 2009. Between racing and holiday plans for next year I’m hoping to volunteer to see some of the action live and in person!

  24. TJ

    Awesome race and report.

  25. Congratulations…I love your pics and narrative…this is just awesome…congratulations again…well done!

  26. Liz

    So, because of your post, HTFU is my new motto.

    I ordered a pack of wristbands and I can’t wait to get them in the mail.

  27. AMAZING RAY!!! You made me cry! I can’t believe I know someone who finished 15th! HOLY CRAP!
    Imagine if you’d actually consumed all your nutrition. You mighta won the thing. Not outta the realm…

    Nice move on the pink cap swimmer. and 20 mph for 112 miles! I can’t believe it! I hope the parents grounded that kid for LIFE. actually, the parents should be grounded. :)

    And you run! I couldn’t run a 4 hour marathon if a lion was chasing me.

    You’re a rockstar and an Ironman! Go get the tatoo already! I’d have it emblazoned on my forehead!

  28. Congrats, Ray! I loved the report. All of your splits were fantastic, esp. the run given how little of your planned nutrition you took in!

  29. SLB

    Just got this post, truly an inspirational day. All your blood sweat and gears totally paid off and you rocked it out.

    Looking forward to following you on the next journey, this time it won’t be such a long way!

  30. Thanks for the report!

    (Also thinking how astounding your next IM will be with nailing your nutrition.)

    Keep the bike/cow graphics on file for IMMoo illustrations….

  31. Eric

    Nice job. Way to rally back on the run. Did you happen to have your Edge for the bike and do you have a good track? I am doing the race this year and have had a really hard time finding a track with accurate altitude information. Would you be willing to share the .tcx file?
    Thanks, Eric

  32. Sure, no problem. I used the 305 for IMC (I didn’t buy the 705 until the following weekend). That said, I have an altitude correction program and can give you a file with the altitude corrected for IMC. Shoot me an e-mail on the side…

  33. Anonymous

    i’ve been re-reading this blog rainmaker a lot since i signed up for this year’s IMC…it’s helped, and hopefully will use your adventure in nutrition when i do the race at the end of this month….it’s always been a problem, i’ve just have never been smart enough to follow the plan….

  34. I loved your photos, and know where most of them were taken. Though I was wondering how it was so bright during body marking. It was pitch black when I did it in 2010.

    Loving the in depth reviews!

  35. Thanks for posting this, Ray. Looks like a cool event!

  36. BillM

    This may be an old post ray but I’ve just found it. Seeing as you were struggling to run a mile a couple of years before in 2006 I find this inspirational to beginners like me. The whole site is great and quite addictive, easy to pore endlessly over the small details about which watch to get etc. Must be difficult to have a balance with work/ blogging/personal/ family life but I’d guess no better man to organise that juggling act that than yourself.

  37. portlandpaul

    I’ll echo BillM’s points. I know it’s an old post, but it’s reassuring to know that you didn’t always blitz the IM and that you were once a nervous rookie…….like I am, heading towards IM Panama City (not nearly as hard as Penticton is/was).

  38. jforce

    Enjoyed the trip down memory Lane, as I did Canada in 2010, complete with the hailstorm on Yellow Lake that year. And like you, I pushed the bike too hard and got behind on nutrition always thinking, I’d ‘catch up’ somewhere but rookie mistake that was. Couldn’t do much eating on the climb, and in the rain, and once past Yellow Lake itself, soon became clear it was best to hold onto the bars with both hands on that descent into Penticton, which, by the way, is everything the famous Keene descent is at Lake Placid! Bonked about 6 mi into the run and your description of the run mirrored mine except I laid in the grass for who knows how long at the turn in OK Falls and struggled to a 4:22. Oh Canada! Like many, enjoy your blog and find it extremely useful and spot on.