I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10WHP) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @amphkingwest Just me. Little ole me. #, 2 hours ago
- @smernicki Yes, it's what happens with MySpace. ;) It changed it temporarily...and then...well, Justin Timberlake happened. #, 5 hours ago
- RT @KeithWakeham: Engineers making video at 3:30am about #taptopair for 4iiii's products https://t.co/2CwSqhq9hm #, 5 hours ago
- @AlphaDogCycling @mybasis Nope, haven't heard from them. Happy to talk about it with unit in hand, otherwise hard to judge reality/actual. #, 6 hours ago
- First look at Zwift, an ultra real trainer app. This massive online multiplayer app changes the paradigm a bit: http://t.co/enYtzWiCnz #, 6 hours ago
- @PasadenaCyclist I prefer two spaces in most of my writing, old school perhaps. #, 6 hours ago
- .@Aashiek I wouldn't focus too much on the first few days, instead see how plays out. Entire industry is still finding place in HealthKit. #, 7 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Summer 2014 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
If you just joined us for the DCR Giveaway Extravaganza, you’re late…..but….you’re not too late. This craziness has been going on for the past 22 hours. Seriously; like every 2 hours; all night and all day. We’ve given away so many … Read More Here
Fricken lasers beams! While I originally asked TomTom for sharks with laser beams on their heads, they balked. They said they didn’t do sharks and asked why I wanted a shark anyway. I called them wimps, and we went our … Read More Here
It’s like peanut butter and jelly (or in the case of Europe: Nutella and anything). The Garmin FR15 is one of the best little GPS watches and activity monitors out there. Then you combine it with my current favorite heart … Read More Here
Your long wait is over. It’s here. That’s right…..It’s Power Meter time! Behold the SRAM Quarq Riken. Let the wagering begin. All you have to wager is a comment, so it’s not really a wager; more like just a…well, a … Read More Here
OK, we’re now half way through the DCR Giveaway Extravaganza. It’s been a long day – especially if you’ve been stalking and refreshing this page waiting for the next big deal. Sure, it’s been a long 12 hours but … Read More Here
It’s midnight in Australia right now. Which, is somewhat unfortunate for them because as they head into winter, this giveaway is probably more relevant to them than some of you sitting here pondering your lunch options on a hot and … Read More Here
Are you planning on swimming, cycling, and running all in one day this summer? I’d point out that sounds like a lot of work (I’d advise just doing one instead). But, if you’re headstrong on doing the whole triathlete thing … Read More Here
What’s that you say? You want more high end watches? Ok, deal. Next up we’ve got the Suunto Ambit2 – it’ll go ahead and track your flailing efforts across all three triathlon sports while also providing navigational support in the … Read More Here
Back in early spring Garmin released their Fenix2 multisport watch. This was a well-received move in the sports watch marketplace, bringing enhanced navigation, Running Dynamics, and Bluetooth upload capability into the mix. Oh, and with the Summer Solstice sneaking up … Read More Here
Your long wait is over. Let the Giveaway Extravaganza begin! First up, for your consideration: a GoPro Hero3+ Black. The Hero3+ Black is their newest top of the line model, actually a combo pack of sorts since it includes a … Read More Here
Lots of Garmin Updates: FR620 gets cycling mode, AutoSync with MyFitnessPal, full Fenix lineup support for Android
Over the past few days Garmin has released a flurry of updates for a bunch of very different fitness devices. I’m going to briefly go through each update below, since these updates are probably the most wanted updates folks have … Read More Here
Yesterday morning in New York City I was live on the FOX morning show, Good Day NY. I was there to cover some of the newest and most popular sports & fitness technology gadgets coming onto the market, especially as … Read More Here
I’ve always historically put together a sports gadget recommendations list in late Fall, primarily because that’s when things in the sports technology world tend to settle down. Further, many folks are looking for holiday shopping advice. The problem is that … Read More Here
In keeping with the popular trend of adding activity monitoring to devices, back in April Garmin announced their latest running watch – the Forerunner 15 (FR15). This would take their popular FR10 budget-focused GPS running watch and then combine it … Read More Here