I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10JKW) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @simonorange @GoZwift Indeed, just updating, which reminds me I need to log out. #, 10 hours ago
- @Vaughters @dbrogan Itonically enough what I'm making for dinner currently. http://t.co/dO658CiMOu #, 11 hours ago
- @korczak Tip: Move it out of the house to a dedicated space. Happy wife then. #, 13 hours ago
- @jenshedstrom scheduled for mid next week. #, 14 hours ago
- Woot, new toys arrived! Both to review, and to use to support reviews. http://t.co/mP9O3bSjZd #, 14 hours ago
- The Fitbit Charge and Charge HR In-Depth Review is up! Here's all the detalis you wanted to know: http://t.co/Y9PPVrFRP3 #, 14 hours ago
- Cool Stuff: Starting Tuesday, Suunto will automatically sync activities to your Training Peaks account: http://t.co/tBCUQGvYD2 #, 14 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Winter 2014-2015 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Early last month GoPro completed their annual October ritual of releasing a suite of new units. Like past years, GoPro doesn’t tend to make massive upgrades in their units, but rather works to add incremental features and performance bumps. The … Read More Here
Ok, so it’s been a few weeks since Kona. No worries, by now all those who went to the Big Island have returned from the Big Dance. Which obviously makes it a perfect time to discuss the findings. A bit … Read More Here
Earlier this week while down in Auckland for work a reader (Marc M.) shot me a note via Facebook letting me know that there’s actually a full-on Wahoo KICKR studio setup just a few blocks away from my hotel. They … Read More Here
(Update February 26th: I’ve published my Fitbit Surge GPS In-Depth Review here and my Fitbit Charge and Charge HR In-Depth Review here. Go head over to those posts to get all the details!) This morning Fitbit announced a bundle of … Read More Here
Last week while in Malta I broadcasted a few of my swim sessions live to those that wanted to watch as I slowly plodded across the warm tropical waters of the islands. I had sent out the link via Twitter … Read More Here
Hopefully everyone had a great weekend, and everyone that raced (or trained) was successful in that venture – especially those enduring the lava fields at Kona! Since Friday when the giveaway opened, a mind-boggling metric crapton of you entered the … Read More Here
On Saturday I got a chance to go out for a test ride on a bike that completely autonomously controls the shifting for me. I simply pedal, and it simply shifts. Of course, such technology has been rumored for as … Read More Here
We find ourselves on the eve of the Ironman World Championships this weekend, which seems like no better reason to get into the swing of things with a good ole giveaway. Especially now that the hangover has eased off after … Read More Here
It’s been five years now that I’ve been presenting a keynote session at the ANT+ Symposium. The annual event each September represents a solid cross section of the sports technology industry, with just about everyone present. And the crowd isn’t … Read More Here
I’m often asked for ways for folks to correct/tweak/modify/convert/consolidate/migrate/sync and generally just dork around with activity files from different devices. Those being files that you’ve created using some device, typically a GPS watch, but not always. For example, sometimes you … Read More Here
This past weekend SportTracks enabled support for automatic sync with Garmin Connect. This rounds out the ‘big three’ when it comes to endurance athlete sites and Garmin Connect Auto Sync (including Training Peaks and Strava). There are of course other … Read More Here