14 responses

1. Kelly
    January 1, 2009

That was a great post. I think I said “Oh my god” about 4 times. You did get some very pretty photos. Enjoy your scuba diving!

2. Bill
    January 1, 2009

LMAO!!!

I see that Egypt hasn’t changed in 15 years. You had the exact same experiences I had in Giza.

Except of instead of just using a threatening voice, I actually had my hand on the throat of the guy holding a friend’s camera. Some slow, deliberate speech as the grip tightened convinced the guy to hand the camera back over.

Travel safe and keep the posts coming.

January 2, 2009

This skill will be useful for the rest of your trip. From my travels in the mideast and africa, I would say expect the same type of thing everywhere you go. Everyone’s just trying to make an extra buck and will ask for tips for doing even the most basic of tasks. Glad you were able to resist, many tourists are either too nice or to naive to know what’s going on.

4. Spokane Al
    January 2, 2009

Happy New Year Ray! Your experiences, both good and bad, are amazing.

I will be looking forward to reading your next chapter.

5. The Lazy Triathlete
    January 2, 2009

It sounds like a good time. Fairly normal in the Middle East.

6. Pat
    January 2, 2009

I spent some time in Egypt (even proposed to my wife in the middle pyramid!) and a good tip for you and your friends is to use pig latin when talking to each other. It sounds stupid, but all those guys tryping to sell you crap speak Arabic..you don’t, you speak english…so do they along with some french, german, whatever else tourists speak. They’re 100% clueless with pig latin tho. Just a little tip to help in being taken advantage of!

7. jeanne
    January 2, 2009

oh my god, that is just totally horrifying. I can believe the hustling and the b.s. going on, but I am SICK at the thought that these amazing creations that have last thousands of years will likely be trashed in the next century.

It makes me feel like i have really not been paying attention.

I’m also totally horrified by the vegas-light show.

Yes, please, revoke their license asap.

so sad.

8. untpawgal02
    January 2, 2009

Nice shots… esp the ones of the pyramids lit up!

Happy New Year!

9. Lesser is More
    January 2, 2009

It disgusts me that they treat that site like they do. Makes me appreciate what we have in Mexico and South America that much more, since they clearly put effort into keeping the sites clean.

However, you do have to admit that you fell for one of the biggest tourist traps ever, in trusting an official looking person. No matter where you are, even in some places in the US, there is always a price to pay when someone tells you to follow them.

With that said, scuba diving in the Red Sea sounds way cool.

10. Coach Liz
    January 2, 2009

It was sad to see all the trash around one of the seven wonders of the world. I cannot wait for the next installment.

11. Bert
    January 2, 2009

Thanks for the heads up for any future travel we may want to do in this area. Excellent pics though!

12. dan
    January 2, 2009

It could be worse, in Prague i had a girl follow me around asking if i wanted to make sexy time….

13. Ryan
    January 3, 2009

Ahhh, Welcome to the land of Baksheesh.

You give me Baksheesh for telling you welcome.

Baksheesh, Baksheesh, Baksheesh. Go F yourself and your Baksheesh. Imagine going there with a 2 year old? Now you see my hatred of Egypt. Enjoy the Red Sea, you going to Sharm?

14. Stuart
    January 14, 2009

Fun times both good and bad! A real shame though, still sounds like you made the right choice in switching plans