The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter and Facebook, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
Sports Tech Deals of Note:
Ok, not much left this week. Sorta a lull. But hey, if ya need a GoPro Hero 8 Black or AirPods, it’s still on sale!
|Product||Sale Price||Amazon||Other site||Sale Notes|
|Apple AirPods with Wireless Charging Case - $50 Off!||$149||Amazon||⚡ I use AirPods primarily when I'm travelling just to listen in airports, planes, etc... I don't tend to use these for workouts due to them falling out. Personally, I just use the basic model.|
|Apple Airpods (2nd Gen) - $30 off|
|$119||Amazon||I use AirPods primarily when I'm travelling just to listen in airports, planes, etc... I don't tend to use these for workouts due to them falling out.|
|Apple Airpods Pro - $30 off!|
|Garmin Edge 130 Plus - 25% off!|
|$149||Amazon||REI||This is the first time we've seen the Edge 130 Plus on sale. The 'Plus' variant is notable compared to the regular unit for having ClimbPro on it, plus a handful of other tweaks. $149 is a good deal for it.|
|Garmin Edge 130 Plus Bundle - 20% off!||$199||Amazon||Competitive Cyclist||This is the first time we've seen the Edge 130 Plus on sale. The 'Plus' variant is notable compared to the regular unit for having ClimbPro on it, plus a handful of other tweaks. This bundle includes a heart rate chest strap as well.|
|Garmin Forerunner 45/45S - $40 off|
|$160||Amazon||If you're looking for a runners focused watch, this is a pretty good deal, about 20% off. The FR45 basically packs all the features of the previous generation FR235...just now in the FR45 series.|
|Garmin Forerunner 935|
|$269||Amazon||⚡ Sure, it's not the latest edition, but the FR935 is the staple of many triathletes and runners, and it still an incredibly solid watch. We saw this a bit lower last summer on Amazon Prime Day ($239) - but beyond that, this is pretty darn low. Also, I say $100-$200 off, because the 'base' price fluctuates a bit these days. Sometimes retail is $399 sometimes $499.|
|Garmin Instinct - $100 off|
|$189||Amazon||Sure, the new Solar variants came out last summer with a few new features, but at their core the Instincts are mostly the same. $189 is still a strong price for this watch.|
|Garmin RVR315 Varia Radar - Save 20%||$120||Amazon||Competitive Cyclist||I believe this is the first sale of the Garmin Varia RVR315 cycling radar. This unit doesn't have a taillight, so it's a bit smaller as a result. Same radar tech though, and compatible with Garmin/Stages/Hammerhead/Wahoo bike computers.|
|Garmin Vivoactive 4/4S - $100 off|
|$249||Amazon||This is Garmin's current offering to compete with the Apple Watch series (alongside the Garmin Venu), and this is a good price, though, it does go lower from time to time (not since Black Friday 2020).|
|GoPro Hero 9 Black - $50 off||$399||Amazon||REI||⚡ This is the camera I use for all my daily shooting during sports. Actually, I've bought a few of them. Note that if you're a GoPro Plus Subscriber, then it's a bit cheaper at $349 from GoPro directly, but otherwise, it's $449.|
|GoPro Max - $50 off|
DCRAINMAKER.COM Posts in the Past Week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page this past week, as noted last week, I planned for this past week to be pretty quiet as I prep for this upcoming week
So hold onto your hats folks, we’re in a for a wild week ahead…
Stuff I Found Interesting Around The Interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet (and in this case, some of these are from the past few weeks to clear out the backlog):
1) Ghost Pacer Heads Up Display Augmented Reality Glasses For Running: These glasses use augmented reality to see a virtual pacer overlaid onto the real terrain. It’s also probably easier to watch their video on their Kickstarter page. I’ve got a long history with trying out various glasses/goggles/etc for sports. I think this is a tough pitch, less because of the tech, and more just the Kickstarter timelines. Delivery of July 2021 is basically saying in Kickstarter lingo ‘Maybe early 2022’, which…is like five pandemics from now.
2) The Tour de France Starts Next Week – But Should It? Of course not, but that won’t stop it. I won’t be going this year – the first time in nearly a decade. I just don’t think it’s right to go at this point and add to the 3,000+ staff/riders/media/support organization situation that meanders across France for thousands of miles. Also, with access highly restricted (no team bus access even for media this year), there’s little reason to go for what I tend to cover (the tech). There’s always next year…hopefully.
3) The Case of the Top Secret iPod: This is just geeky interesting. Plus, remember Nike Running on the iPod with the old footpod? See, now it’s vaguely sports tech related.
4) Zwift Enrolls Ambassadors for Paid Support Tier: This actually might make sense. While these people won’t have access to personal information, they can easily help with the umpteen million questions on what a burrito is, and which way you stick your ANT+ dongle.
5) Apple Watch Continues to Dominate Smartwatch Sector: Though, Garmin now takes nearly 10% of the market, coming in at #2 – surpassing Samsung and others. As a reminder, the official and singular definition of a smartwatch is simply “one that supports 3rd party apps”. At least according to IDC, which isn’t the publisher of this study, but hopefully at least these groups can coordinate that definition this year. As always, that definition changes on a yearly basis, often to support whatever agenda said research firm wants to further.
6) Early findings from Fitbit COVID-19 Study with 100,000 participants: As with the other studies from wearable companies I’ve linked to, this doesn’t mean they can predict whether you have COVID-19, but it’s still interesting to see what companies are doing in this space. In this case, these specific metrics would do more or less the same thing for numerous other illnesses. However, their detailed symptom tracking of the 1,000 people who did test positive for COVID-19 was also super interesting (more of that data linked above).
7) 2022 Tour de France Rumored to have 1-week Women’s Edition: This would be a major step up over the last few half-hearted variants. Though, I’d prefer to see it run concurrently, as by the end of the Men’s Tour de France, the media covering such an event simply don’t care anymore. Running it concurrently (perhaps on week two) would make it easier for media coverage.
8) Random Tidbit Time: In the 1989 Cycling Tour de Trump (an actual cycling event), one of the Dutch teams was sponsored by a brothel. No kidding. Photo of said team (totally safe for work) at the Tweet above.
Sports Tech Device Firmware Updates This Week:
Each week I quickly highlight some of the new firmware, app, software, and website service updates that I see go out. If you’re a sports technology company and release an update – shoot me a quick note (just one-liners are perfect, or Tweet it at me is even better) and I’ll make mention of it here. If I don’t know about it, I won’t be able to post about it. Sound good? Oh – and if you want to get a head start on things, this page is a great resource for watching Garmin, Wahoo, Polar, and a few other firmware updates.
Garmin Forerunner 45 Firmware Update: Bug fixes.
Garmin Forerunner 245 Firmware Update: Bug fixes and added LiveTrack Course Display, plus other tweaks.
Garmin Forerunner 945 Firmware Update: Same as FR245 but also added Smart Trainer integration as noted in my main post earlier this week. Also, a bunch of other fixes/improvements.
Garmin Instinct Firmware Update: Mostly minor tweaks.
Garmin Instinct Solar Firmware Update: Added a number of minor things, including battery % in main menu (previously only showed when charging)
Wahoo ELEMNT/BOLT/ROAM Firmware Update: Stability improvement and wheel circumference for LEV
With that – thanks for reading!