The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter and Facebook, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
Sports Tech Deals of Note:
Ok, not much left this week. Sorta a lull. But hey, if ya need a GoPro Hero 8 Black, it’s still on sale!
|Product||Sale Price||Amazon||Clever Training||Sale Notes|
|Apple Watch Series 6 - 40mm||$15 off||Amazon||N/A||It's not the biggest deal ever...but hey, it's a deal (and the only deal!).|
|Apple Watch Series 6 - 44mm||$15 off||Amazon||N/A||It's not the biggest deal ever...but hey, it's a deal (and the only deal!).|
|Apple iPad - Latest Model 8th Gen (32GB)||$30 off (10% off)||Amazon||I use my iPad primarily for TrainerRoad as well as Zwift when not with a larger display. I also occasionally use it for other apps, namely The SufferFest - but I pretty much test every smart trainer app on it. This is the latest iPad that was just announced barely two weeks ago, so not too bad to see it on sale already (US AMAZON DEAL ONLY).|
DCRAINMAKER.COM Posts in the Past Week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page this past week:
Sunday: Week in Review–July 12th, 2020
Monday: 5 Random Things I Did This Weekend
Wednesday: Tacx Flux 2 Smart Trainer (2020 Edition) In-Depth Review
Friday: Behind the Scenes on Zwift’s Tour de France TV Broadcast, Plus Zwift’s New RaceView
YouTube Videos This Past Week:
Here’s what hit the tubes over on the You of Tube, definitely don’t forget to subscribe there to get notified of videos the second they hit!
Stuff I Found Interesting Around The Interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet (and in this case, some of these are from the past few weeks to clear out the backlog):
1) GCN announces annual Race Pass, live race coverage: I think this is pretty substantial, and finally something I might actually pay for (if the TdF ends up happening). My challenge has always been that I mostly want to watch an English feed of a race, yet reside in non-English speaking countries (France and now Netherlands). So this is potentially perfect for me. I’m hoping they get out an Apple TV app quickly, since I find AirPlay a bit cumbersome for watching something like sports long-term in the background. Also not super clear to me is what happens if I travel (to other countries), do I lose any access? Is it based on country of credit card used, or current locale of my phone? Of course, travel isn’t really an issue right now…
2) Zwift to do Super League Triathlon Live In-Person Event in August: This could be pretty interesting. Basically the swim occurs in an Olympic swimming pool, then the bike on trainers, and run on a treadmill. They’ve got some pretty big names signed up. It’s happening in Rotterdam, so perhaps I’ll jump on a quick train ride and check it out. We’ll see, depending on if the situation remains the same here in the Netherlands or not. (via Eric Min Twitter)
3) Huge list of US bike businesses who received PPP loans: Obviously, this isn’t every business – but, it is interesting insights into things. Sports tech companies included Saris, Lezyne, Niterider, and Specialized. Keep in mind that the point of these loans is to keep people employed. So while some aspects of a company like Saris would be booming (trainers), other aspects wouldn’t be (their bike rack business).
4) Skydio gets $100M in new funding round: Holy balls, that’s a lot. Obviously, expansion of their enterprise space is driving quite a bit of that. But it’s good to see them explicitly noting that they have no plans to leave the consumer space, and in fact expand production there.
5) Horses vs Human Running Races: And why if the deck is stacked enough, humans can actually win.
6) How Paris is shifting the cycling landscape: It was cool seeing this when we lived in Paris, but even our own street we lived on looks dramatically different now than it did the day we left. Despite having been one of the two main river streets that pulsed with traffic day and night, it’s now got bidirectional bike lanes and more. Oh, and way less vehicle lanes.
7) NPE adds Apple Watch Connectivity for Runn Treadmill Sensor: If you remember, Runn is the Treadmill Sensor that transmits your pace and cadence (and even incline) to Zwift and other apps. Rather than having to deal with a footpod (ideal for multi-user setups). Anyway, this now transmits this all to their dedicated Apple Watch app.
Sports Tech Device Firmware Updates This Week:
Each week I quickly highlight some of the new firmware, app, software, and website service updates that I see go out. If you’re a sports technology company and release an update – shoot me a quick note (just one-liners are perfect, or Tweet it at me is even better) and I’ll make mention of it here. If I don’t know about it, I won’t be able to post about it. Sound good? Oh – and if you want to get a head start on things, this page is a great resource for watching Garmin and a few other firmware updates.
Stages Bike (SB20) Firmware Update: This adds back dual Bluetooth connectivity (ideal for monitoring shifting). This was technically the week prior, but I missed it.
Wahoo ELEMNT/BOLT/ROAM Series Firmware Update: Stability enhancements
Thanks for reading!