The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter and Facebook, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
Notable Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sales Post Updates:
In case you haven’t been following along on Twitter every 26 minutes, there’s been a crapton of additions to my Black Friday & Cyber Monday post. I expect more *new* sales tomorrow (Monday), so be on the lookout for those! In the meantime, here’s what’s been added since Thursday:
– Suunto Ambit3 deals (as low at $199)
– Withings WiFi scales for 33%+ off
– Withings Aura sleep system for 50% off
– Basis Peak, Misfit, and Jawbone deals
– GoPro deals
– Mio Fuse deals
– Training Peaks and Best Bike Split deal for tomorrow
– Power2Max US deals
-and a bunch more…
And then of course, you had previously, these deals that end Monday:
– Garmin Fenix3 for $100 off all units
– Crapton of other Garmin units (i.e. Vivoactive, Vivosmart, Vivofit2, etc…)
– PowerTap 20% off (trainers too!)
– Wahoo RFLKT for $49 & KICKR SNAP deals
Again, I continue to update the main page here, with all the deals. You can find the little Holiday Deals image on the sidebar at any time.
DCRainmaker.com posts in the past week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page of DCRainmaker.com this past week.
Sunday: Week in Review–Nov 22nd, 2015
Monday: 5 Random Things From A Week in The Arctic Circle
Tuesday: Verve Infocrank In-Depth Review
Tuesday: My Winter 2015-2016 Sports Gadget Recommendations
Wednesday: Garmin Forerunner 230 & 235 In-Depth Review
Wednesday: Black Friday Sales Kickoff: $100 off Fenix3, Withings Scales from $69, and more (Update: +Suunto Ambit3!)
Thursday: November Giveaway Winner Selected!
Friday: A Weighty Decision: Deciding on a WiFi Weight Scale
The DCR Podcast:
Here’s the low-down on what was covered this past week in the DCR podcast:
This was a bit of a longer one this week, as we are rambling on a few different topics at length.
– We talk a short bit about the last few weeks here in Paris
– We dive into some of the reaction on my LIMITS power meter piece
– We discuss what makes a site a news site vs magazine vs ‘blog’, what is a ‘blog’ anyway?
– How to take your dumb trainer and make it…not so dumb.
Now, there was one minor issue with some of the audio recording after the above question, which we’re working to salvage for the remainder. So in the meantime you can download this instance as part of TRS Radio Podcast, and hopefully tomorrow we’ll have the other questions ready to roll and posted to the usual DCR Podcast feed. Sorry!
Thanks for listening! Subscribing and rating in iTunes is much appreciated, and be sure to send in your questions via the voice mail widget at the bottom of the podcast page!
Stuff that I found interesting around the interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet:
1) First major Paris running race cancelled due to security concerns: This was the Santa Clause costume race here in Paris (roughly about 10,000 people I believe), I’ve run it every year since moving to Paris. I did think the outlining of expenses they’ve incurred thus far was interesting (at end of piece). It’s in French, but is easy to translate to English with Google.
2) Man completes marathon in Amish attire: Oh, and ran pretty darn fast too.
3) How to take good photos of your bike: A superb guide to taking better bike photos. I try hard to hit all of these for photos during reviews and Instagram, though sometimes may miss a point or two.
4) Ironman becomes part of Wanda Sports: Obviously, the purchase is ‘old news’, but the re-org is the news here. While some might cringe at Blatter family ties, I think it’s best to judge him on his work (he’s completed 15 Ironman’s himself). Plus, everyone has the odd uncle they aren’t fans of or associate with.
5) Why your outdoor gear is expensive: Apparently it’s all about thumbholes. Go figure.
7) Two crowd funded/startup power meters start shipping this week: Both PowerPod and WatTeam have announced shipping first units this past week (via Twitter and backer updates). I got a tracking number for my PowerPod already, and the WatTeam folks also reached out and a unit should be on the way in the next few days (if not already). Looking forward to testing both! In related news, you’ll likely see the PowerTap C1 & 4iiii Precision reviews this week.
8) Paula Radcliff talks about blood doping testing and the allegations some have raised: Worth a read if you’ve been following this story for a while. (via Sporting Intel)
Sports Technology Software/Firmware Updates This Week:
Each week I quickly highlight some of the new firmware, app, software and website service updates that I see go out. If you’re a sports technology company and release an update – shoot me a quick note (just one liners is perfect, or Tweet it at me is even better) and I’ll make mention of it here. If I don’t know about it, I won’t be able to post about it. Sound good?
Garmin Fenix3 Firmware Update: Fixes recently introduced battery drain issues.
Polar FlowSync updates: This is the desktop updater that got a few updates.