The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter and Google Plus, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
DCRainmaker.com posts this past week:
A wide variety of posts this week covering quite a range of stuff. Here’s what made the main stage:
Sunday: Week in Review–August 13th, 2011
Monday: A summer weekend in St. John’s, Newfoundland
Tuesday: New Timex Run Trainer vs. Garmin FR210- Fight!
Wednesday: The blogs I read every day –a compilation of awesomeness
Thursday: Common Question- Why don’t I review (fill in the blank) ?
Thursday: Garmin Announces Vector Power Meter Release Date & Availability Info
Friday: Garmin Edge 200 In Depth Review
Men’s Health/Gatorade/Urbanathlon Blog posts this past week:
In addition to all my writings here, I also cover a bunch of topics over on the Men’s Health Urbanathlon blog. Here’s the goods from the past week:
Note that I post over there roughly every Tuesday and Thursday, and Sarah posts on Monday and Wednesday. It’s a tag-team event.
Stuff that I found interesting around the interwebs:
Here’s a small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet:
1) The coolest Tour de France Cycling Video Recap you’ll see: Just trust me on this, wander over to this link and watch it. It’s worth you time. So awesome.
2) Behind the scenes on the Cuba to Florida swim: This post is from one of the guys I know that did much of the underwater documentary work during the Great White shark film shoot I went on two years ago. Cool behind the scenes view of the recent attempt by Diana Nyads to swim from Cuba to Florida.
3) Redefining critical power, max mean power. Given that power meter terms are generally fairly mysterious to most – this interesting agreement in terminology between some of the top power meter people may help clear up some of the confusion..
4) And you thought your lap lanes were busy: No, your local pool has nothing on this pool in China…heck – they even have go-go dancers there! (via EverymanTri)
5) A unmanned tanker. Ok, this has nothing to do with endurance sports, but rather aviation instead. And because I found it cool and interesting, it’s here. The story behind the first all-female tanker crew in combat recently. Awesome to see.
6) TV Coverage of the USA Pro Cycling Tour: Since I get these nifty press releases every day about the Tour, I figured I’d share the TV schedule with you – so you can set your DVR’s (or so you can block out that time as being unavailable for household chores):
VERSUS and NBC’s live schedule for the 2011 USA Pro Cycling Challenge follows (all times ET, subject to change):
Prologue: Monday, August 22 – Colorado Springs 4 p.m. VERSUS
Stage 1: Tuesday, August 23 – Salida to Crested Butte 4 p.m. VERSUS
Stage 2: Wednesday, August 24 – Gunnison-Aspen 4 p.m. VERSUS
Stage 3: Thursday, August 25 – Vail 4 p.m. VERSUS
Stage 4: Friday, August 26 – Avon to Steamboat Springs 4 p.m. VERSUS
Stage 5: Saturday, August 27 – Steamboat Springs to Breckenridge 4 p.m. VERSUS
Stage 6: Sunday, August 28 – Golden to Denver 2 p.m. NBC
Random Items of Note:
Some of you asked about more on how to take advantage of the PowerTap deal that I mentioned in last week’s Slowtwitch Mailbag. In short, the deal includes a wired PowerTap, the Cervo head unit computer, and the rear wheel – all for $699. It’s being offered by REI only. And, if you use this nifty little link, then you even help support the site. Go forth an conquer!
Thanks for reading, and hope you’re enjoying your weekend!
FOUND THIS POST USEFUL? SUPPORT THE SITE!
Hopefully, you found this post useful. The website is really a labor of love, so please consider becoming a DC RAINMAKER Supporter. This gets you an ad-free experience, and access to our (mostly) bi-monthly behind-the-scenes video series of “Shed Talkin’”.
Otherwise, perhaps consider using the below link if shopping on Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, but your purchases help support this website a lot. It could simply be buying toilet paper, or this pizza oven we use and love.