I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10WHP) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- RT @slowtwitch: $200 and $400 power meters? @dcrainmakerblog thinks so. Also smartwatch talk http://t.co/q3zKHrUIVi #cycling #triathlon #, 5 hours ago
- @IronPugsley Coming up this week! #, 5 hours ago
- @jescombe Yup, this Symposium is this week, so I'll definitely put together an update. #, 9 hours ago
- @mloc_colm Absolutely, Velib is super easy, very friendly. Buy pass online here: http://t.co/6esIn4tPDC - Bikes on pretty much every corner. #, 23 hours ago
- Watteam’s PowerBeat: A first look at prototype/beta power data, as well as install/configuration details: http://t.co/xErLgeVXIu #, 23 hours ago
- Watching as a women learns how to ride a bike for the first time...using a bike share Velib. @… http://t.co/SV0MpnSywC #, Sep 21
- RT @KeithWakeham: Omg! Evolution of bikes! http://t.co/xCerenrYbT #, Sep 21
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Summer 2014 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Each week I typically highlight a handful of crowd-funded projects within my ‘Week in Review’ series. These projects are almost always sports and fitness related, as that’s where most of my interest lies. In the case of these projects, the … Read More Here
The Sale: In what is becoming a bit of an annual mid-May sale, the Garmin FR910XT is now on sale for an end total price of $249. The unit starts at $399, but is on sale for $299, and then … Read More Here
While these sensors were announced a month ago at the same time as the Edge 1000, photographic information about them has been harder to come by than that of little green men in Roswell, NM. There were rough sketches released … Read More Here
On Monday when I posted that I was heading to Dubai for a few days, a reader suggested I check out the Wednesday night ‘open track’ at the Autodrome. Each week they open the track to just cyclists and runners … Read More Here
Please note that I’ve now published my full in-depth review of the FR15. You should head over to that post to get all caught up. Today Garmin has announced their newest product, the Garmin FR15. The FR15 is the latest … Read More Here
Back at CES 2014 in January Scosche introduced their first dual ANT+/Bluetooth Smart unit, the RHYTHM+. This optical sensor armband would transmit both ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart concurrently to any compatible device. Unlike most other units that were announced that … Read More Here
This week Suunto became arguably the first major GPS watch maker to integrate directly with Strava. Not the first ever, but the first of the biggies (Polar, Suunto, Garmin, and to a degree, Timex). The implementation of automatic transfers to … Read More Here
It’s been almost a year since the LifeBeam SMART helmet hit the interwebs via a Kickstarter crowd-funded effort. Since then they’ve iterated through prototypes, status updates, and then ultimately a few months back – delivery of the actual product. It … Read More Here
My plan was simple: Go for a short openwater swim. Since I rarely get openwater swims in while at home in Paris, I planned to make the most of my beach time in Tampa. I had a few different openwater … Read More Here