I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10LFW) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
The DC RAINMAKER PODCAST
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @tedcasey Yup, still the same one I (and The Girl) both use and love. Rarely pay a fee (it's more of a personality thing than anything). #, 2 hours ago
- @jldtwo TomTom Cardio Runner or FR225 are best bets. #, 2 hours ago
- The Pioneer Power Meter System In-Depth Review: It's one of the best power meter deals at $999, but how does it fare? http://t.co/Kb3S27Ji3H #, 2 hours ago
- It's The Girl’s 2015 Swim/Bike/Run Gear I Use List! Complete with her entertaining commentary: http://t.co/IHz7az8dcl http://t.co/22Gy1T7Rws #, May 21
- @MrJJBowie @thebestpath @mswoowar It is prior, today's interval run will be first with new update. #, May 21
- @MrJJBowie @thebestpath @mswoowar For riding, HR all over the map, but distance from phone is fine. #, May 21
- @MrJJBowie @thebestpath @mswoowar Accuracy is mixed (pace/dist w/o phone, w/HR). On smoother runs dist/pace/HR is close. Intervals tough. #, May 21
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Winter 2014-2015 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
(Note: My Fenix3 In-Depth Review is now published and available here, go forth and enjoy all the details there instead!) Today, Garmin announced the latest iteration of their Fenix lineup with the Fenix3 multisport GPS watch. Described at its simplest … Read More Here
Giroptic edges closer to 360° action cam release, YouTube announces support for 360° footage (huge deal)
°° Giroptic was on-hand last night at the CES Unveiled event showing off their 360° action camera which had debuted on Kickstarter this past summer to very strong backer support. The action camera is somewhat a descendent of previous attempts … Read More Here
Here at CES Withings showed off their latest activity tracker, the Activité Pop. The Pop is a daily activity and sleep tracker but in a non-obvious form factor. It’s designed to look like a regular watch, but with the internal … Read More Here
The A300 Overview: This weekend ahead of CES here in Las Vegas, Polar has announced their latest activity tracking watch, the A300. This watch aims to take the M400 GPS watch, remove the GPS part, and then call it the … Read More Here
Earlier this week a peer reviewed university backed research paper was released that essentially said that Polar power meter pedals shouldn’t be trusted, and that instead, SRM was better: “The power data from the Keo power pedals should be treated … Read More Here
Today Garmin has released an oft-asked about feature update to all of the Garmin Edge cycling units released in the last two years, bringing the Edge 510 and Edge 810 the vast majority of the new features found in the … Read More Here
Wahoo Fitness has announced their first major addition to the TICKR X heart rate strap, which brings with it a gym workout functionality mode that automatically recognizes a slew of different strength workout routines. This new functionality allows you to … Read More Here
This past summer Mio announced two new products to their lineup – the Mio Fuse and the Mio Velo. These products just recently started shipping in the past few weeks, giving me an opportunity to use the final hardware and … Read More Here
Earlier this week in my post about the DCR Cave, I noted the addition of a treadmill to the space. However, getting the treadmill to where you saw it was not quite the cake-walk we had hoped it would be. Rather, … Read More Here
This announcement has been a super-long time coming. As in, babies have been made in less time. Almost exactly one year ago The Girl and I started looking at expansion space – both for The CupCakery as well as a … Read More Here
Over the weekend I held the ‘Anything on my Recommendations List’ giveaway, which basically meant that as long as I liked the product and it was listed on my Winter 2014-2015 Recommendations Guide – then you could win it. This … Read More Here
Wouldn’t it be cool if you could pick any gadget that’s on my ‘2014 Winter Sports Gadget Recommendations’ list and call it your own? Yup, I agree. And, so does Clever Training. So they’re offering up to one lucky holiday duck … Read More Here
Earlier this week The Girl and I made our sorta-annual trek to pickup a Christmas tree at the nearby market. The first year we returned home via Velib (the bike share system). Last year, we ended up walking it home. … Read More Here
Yesterday I had the chance to go for a brief (and cold) run around the city with the Timex One GPS+ watch. This watch, announced back in August at Outdoor Retailer, contains a 3G chipset within it that enables it … Read More Here