I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with the link and 10% off everything coupon below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @Ironman_JR FR10 is great for beginner, but FR220 allows a bit longer term growth. #, 13 hours ago
- RT @TriMagJene: Sorry race photography sites, there is no one on my list who wants a horrendous photo of me racing for Christmas, even at a… #, 14 hours ago
- RT @bikehugger: A rum bar bike! More photos on G+ http://t.co/x4YIR2uoQA http://t.co/XW2n9bIhna #, 17 hours ago
- @Ironman_JR Start here: http://t.co/B75yj7RKwi But check out the FR10. #, 17 hours ago
- @jmcdannald If you value the Bluetooth Connectivity features and workout/interval customization, then yes. Otherwise, no. #, 19 hours ago
- @ajmooseman No, it doesn't convert that way. #, 20 hours ago
- @off242 Ahh, sorry, gotchya. #, 21 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (2013 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Yesterday, Garmin quietly rolled out a ‘beta’ update to their Fenix & Tactix lineup, which are their watches previously/primarily aimed at ultra-runners and those wanting hiking/navigational capabilities. For Garmin, firmware updates – let alone beta ones, rarely have massive new … Read More Here
I wasn’t exactly ignoring writing this race report. Not entirely anyway. It’s of course a bit hard to ignore such a downer of a race result, as well as to ignore the 18.4 requests per day via three social media … Read More Here
After my Ukrainian foray ended early Friday morning (a painful 5:55AM to be exact), I caught a flight to Frankfurt and then onto Zurich, touching down late-morning. From there I’d drive 75 minutes into the alps where I was headed … Read More Here
Updated as of Dec 3rd 8:10AM Eastern Perhaps one of the most anticipated shopping days of the year – at least for US folks, but these days many companies ship outside the US as well for relatively cheap. The below … Read More Here
The company behind the platform: Despite most Internet apps running small operations, MapMyFitness is hardly small from an employee standpoint. As of Tuesday it counted 101 employees, with 31 employees in Denver, and another 70 employees at its headquarters in … Read More Here
After wrapping up work late Thursday evening, I was ready to join The Girl in enjoying the rest of the weekend wandering around Israel and checking out the country. It would of course be a bit of a whirlwind tour, … Read More Here
To start, let’s just recap the last two days. Or at least, I think it’s been two days: Sunday 10AM France Time: Departed, connected in London, flew to Mexico City. Sunday 6:45PM Mexico Time: Landed in Mexico City after 11hrs … Read More Here
Ahh yes, with October behind us the last tattered threads of summer weather are most definitely gone. Welcome the rain. And the cold. And the wind. All at once. Nonstop. The other problem is lack of sunlight. Not because I … Read More Here
Somehow in the crazy-busy last few days in getting a slew of product reviews published I didn’t quite get to talk about my weekend at the chocolate fair. Obviously, that’s a problem. Anytime I skip out on talking about chocolate … Read More Here
The Garmin FR220 is the company’s latest mid-range (price-wise) running watch, which succeeds the older FR210 unit. The FR210 carved out the mid-range niche, ahead of a slew of competitors that have followed in its footsteps. But can Garmin jump … Read More Here
Last month while at the ANT+ Symposium I had the chance to poke at and go for a run with a new running mechanics sensor that’s looking to hit the market next year. The sensor, called Motion Scribe, is the … Read More Here