I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10MHD) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
The DC RAINMAKER PODCAST
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @sirnumbskull Pricing is $1,600US, I believe availability in four weeks. #, 1 hour ago
- @donrhummy @cwikdahl But the Vector team is actually quite active, no? #, 2 hours ago
- @Perspectivas yup, just checked it out. Cooler than I expected. #, 8 hours ago
- Extramarital relationships at Eurobike. Ashley Madison profile optional. Techno music all-inclusive. http://t.co/szhCwLCFXj #, 9 hours ago
- @cwikdahl I chatted today with them about it. They are very aware of the issue reported, and prioritized very high on trying to fix. #, 20 hours ago
- Bkool Announces ANT+ FE-C Software Update Available Now, plus a new budget trainer and more: http://t.co/u2CyEgdclr http://t.co/ReywHKaHrB #, 20 hours ago
- Stages Power announces carbon crank options, new pod design, talks a bit about dual leg power: http://t.co/eLsmEiQZBV http://t.co/52ZWXZl5Sj #, 21 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Winter 2014-2015 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2015 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) 2015 list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
BKOOL is here at Eurobike this week and has pushed out a number of updates (both software and hardware), one of which will definitely make (most) existing owners quite happy. As a brief refresher Bkool has historically been one of … Read More Here
An Overview: You know how when you go to the supermarket and can’t decide which ice cream flavor to come home with – only to end up coming home with more than one container of ice cream? That’s kinda like … Read More Here
Today at Eurobike, Stages announced their first foray into offering carbon crank arm options with their power meters pre-installed. You’ll remember that up until today they’ve only offered aluminum cranks. Today’s announcement includes five new carbon models, while also rolling … Read More Here
Today is the day of SRAM & Quarq making official many unofficial and open-secret things. The first I’ll cover is the new Quarq race tracking service – Quarq Race Intelligence system. And then I’ll dive into certain tech aspects of … Read More Here
Today a Kickstarter project was launched for the PowerPod power meter, priced at $279US (but there are some initial cheaper price points available for early birds). While the project may be launching on Kickstarter, the company behind it has long … Read More Here
Minor Confession: A small part of me simply wanted to title this post: “Garmin Releases Yet Another Product This Summer, Because It Can”. But alas, I hear that’s not terribly great for search engine optimization (SEO) and since I get … Read More Here
Just a super-quick heads up that next week begins the annual 5-week long sports technology sweep (or sprint) that starts with Eurobike, continues with Interbike, and then rounds out with the ANT+ Symposium. It’s predictably packed with new products, cool … Read More Here
Last week the founder and key engineering team members of Watteam flew over to Paris to allow me to install, ride, and analyze their previously announced PowerBeat $499 power meter. You’ll remember it hit the interwebs exactly one year ago … Read More Here
Phew! That was a blur! You thought you were tired? Just imagine what my web servers feel like after yesterday. They’ll basically be doing the post-marathon day walk. With the 2015 edition of the Annual DCR Giveaway Extravaganza now yesterday’s … Read More Here
For those of you waiting for the perfect giveaway deal, this may very well be it. The Suunto Ambit 3 Peak has something for everyone; well actually this one only has everything for just the one person whose entry is drawn … Read More Here
Captain’s Log: Stardate 93194.09. The Enterprise has bypassed its scheduled archaeological survey of Camus II in response to a distress call from the Federation freighter Arcos, which has assumed an emergency orbit around Turkana IV, birthplace of… Oh, um sorry, wrong post … Read More Here
There are few training tasks worse than riding alone on a trainer in a dark basement or within sketchy closet. It’s just you, your bike, and the wall ahead of you with 4 paint marks that you still haven’t fixed two … Read More Here
Well then, that escalated quickly. From $250 GPS watch to $1,200 power meter…all in the span of one minute. Boom! You saw my review on these puppies yesterday, and it’s definitely all good. Now you can not only ride around … Read More Here
Think small and mighty. Like mighty mouse on EPO (or synthetic testosterone as the cool kids are doing this week). But legal instead. So, like Nutella and bananas. That’s what the M450 is like: Incredibly powerful yet super small. It’s … Read More Here