I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10WHP) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- 5 Random Things I Did This Weekend: From the finish of the TdF to the caravan in town and more! http://t.co/aKqpOIfSTe #, 14 hours ago
- Here's a photo-packed look at watching La Course (the women’s race by The Tour de France): http://t.co/DGRFpFedFt #, 15 hours ago
- @Rangor Enjoy: http://t.co/gbkyZtmRzS #, 15 hours ago
- RT @menaspaolo: @vincenzonibali crosses the #TDF2014 finish line and stops his @srmtraining instead of celebrating! #GazzettaGialla http://t.co/jqQmLp16oW #, 18 hours ago
- @JLBrescia It's Bertie's Cupcakery @BertiesCupcakes - Just one block from Notre Dame on the island, so easy to find. Enjoy! #, 18 hours ago
- @Nazcol They did in the end, he apparently just went around all the closed banners/barricades. Kinda cool. #, 18 hours ago
- @nealrogers The pouring, lighting and thunder filled not quite yet morning light... #, Jul 28
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Summer 2014 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Earlier this year a significant announcement was made that there would be a women’s race at the Tour de France. It wouldn’t be the entirety of the Grand Tour, nor even a multiday event – but – it would be a … Read More Here
A few days ago the Shimano CM-1000 action cam that I bought finally came in. After getting some hands-on time with the unit I wanted to give some initial impressions and thoughts. The camera is unique in that it connects … Read More Here
Being in Paris now a few years, there appears to be no bigger single-day party than Bastille Day. Now technically it’s not called Bastille day. Rather, locally it’s known as Fête nationale (National Celebration) or Le quatorze juillet (14th of … Read More Here
This morning Suunto has announced their latest endurance and multisport watch, the Suunto Ambit3. The watch incrementally builds on previous generations of the Ambit in what has been a roughly 12-16 month release cycle for the company. The Ambit3 when … Read More Here
Adidas has just announced their latest sports and fitness focused device – the Fit Smart. The unit features optical heart rate recognition from your wrist via an embedded Mio optical sensor, while supplementing that data in conjunction with accelerometer data … Read More Here
Things started early this morning – approximately 6AM. Which, for you early birds is indeed early for this non-early bird. From there I’d catch the RER train 10 minutes up to Gare du Nord, where I’d change to a regular … Read More Here
Late last week Withings announced their latest device – the Withings Activité, which combined an activity tracker into a more normal looking high-end designer watch. This would in effect be pulling in much of their existing Withings Pulse activity tracker … Read More Here
July 1st is apparently the popular day to announce new things within the sports technology world. Here’s a super-quick rundown of all the happenings of today: New Misfit Shine Variant + T-Shirt holder Just in time for the product review … Read More Here
If you just joined us for the DCR Giveaway Extravaganza, you’re late…..but….you’re not too late. This craziness has been going on for the past 22 hours. Seriously; like every 2 hours; all night and all day. We’ve given away so many … Read More Here
Fricken lasers beams! While I originally asked TomTom for sharks with laser beams on their heads, they balked. They said they didn’t do sharks and asked why I wanted a shark anyway. I called them wimps, and we went our … Read More Here
It’s like peanut butter and jelly (or in the case of Europe: Nutella and anything). The Garmin FR15 is one of the best little GPS watches and activity monitors out there. Then you combine it with my current favorite heart … Read More Here