The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter and Facebook, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
Sports Tech Deals of Note:
Here’s some continuing sports tech deals.
There are no deals currently.
DCRAINMAKER.COM Posts in the Past Week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page this past week:
Sunday: Week in Review–March 1st, 2020
Monday: Tidbits and Tech From a Week Skiing in the Alps
Wednesday: Strava Brings Back Chronological Ordering, Adds Athlete Favoriting
Friday: Saris MP1 Nfinity Motion Platform In-Depth Review
YouTube Videos This Past Week:
Here’s what hit the tubes over on the You of Tube, definitely don’t forget to subscribe there to get notified of videos the second they hit!
FIT FILE Podcast This Week:
Episode 101 is out!
– Strava App Updates… higher frequency!
– Saris MP1 Reviews from DCR & Lama
– Oreka Review
– Continued Coronavirus fall-out on sports tech/events
– Ray’s new mountain bike
– Whoop testing update
Listen here, or four options for where to find the podcast:
A) iTunes: If you’ve got an Apple device, we’re there!
B) Google Play Music: Yup, we’re here too (and on Google Podcasts app)
C) Spotify: Of course we’re on Spotify now – you can even cache it on your wearable too!
D) RSS Feed: Follow along using the direct RSS feed
Stuff I Found Interesting Around The Interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet (and in this case, some of these are from the past few weeks…as my backlog is a bit longer):
1) Pro cycling teams start to compete on Zwift instead of outdoors: We’re gonna see a lot more of this soon. I suspect a lot of it will be more ‘exhibition’ style events, which is fine. It’s better than nothing at all at this point.
2) The AirPods holder for an Apple Watch band: I’d agree with The Verge, at first I couldn’t decide whether it’s incredibly dumb or incredibly brilliant. But then I realized this will be sitting on the edge of your wrist, at the roundest part of the band. So I’m going with incredibly dumb.
3) Man uses fitness app to record ride, house on route gets burglarized, he becomes suspect: This whole thing is a complete cluster. However, it wasn’t actually the fitness data that got him in trouble, but general Google location tracking data that a warrant was served for. Ironically, it was his fitness data that saved him here. Primarily because it was this very same data that went on to show he wasn’t the suspect. How on earth did it get this far?
4) How technology is changing the sports bra: Super detailed piece from Outside Magazine that looks at the significant shifts in the design and production in just the last few years.
5) Sea Otter Cancelled/Postponed: Bummer, was looking forward to heading out there for this. Sounds like it might get postponed till sometime this fall, though realistically from a product launch standpoint that wouldn’t be super-appealing to me (since companies wouldn’t shift product launches from next April to October). However, I could see a scenario where some US companies might shift a product launch or two from Eurobike (first week of September) to Sea Otter if it was only 3-5 weeks later (as they often did for Interbike in the past).
6) Roundup of the shoes worn at the US Olympic Trials last weekend: This is about as close as we’ll get to gadget tech for an event like that. Maybe in some alternate universe Strava (with their newfound CEO) will allow us to pull device reports again (which, side note, is good for Strava publicity). That’d be super interesting to see what the pros and almost pros are choosing.
Sports Tech Device Firmware Updates This Week:
Each week I quickly highlight some of the new firmware, app, software, and website service updates that I see go out. If you’re a sports technology company and release an update – shoot me a quick note (just one-liners are perfect, or Tweet it at me is even better) and I’ll make mention of it here. If I don’t know about it, I won’t be able to post about it. Sound good? Oh – and if you want to get a head start on things, this page is a great resource for watching Garmin and a few other firmware updates.
[Things be pretty slow in the sports tech world right now. Part of that is seasonality, but a very real part of that is COVID-19]
Garmin Fenix 6 Series, MARQ Series BETA Firmware Updates: Minor bug fixes
Garmin Edge 520 Plus, 820, and 820 Explorer BETA Firmware Update: Two bug fixes, one for maps, one for radar.
Garmin Edge 530/830/1030 BETA Firmware Update: Bug fix for radar disconnects (same as above).
With that – have a great week ahead!