The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter and Facebook, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
DCRainmaker.com posts in the past week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page of DCRainmaker.com this past week.
Sunday: Week in Review–Nov 6th, 2016
Monday: 5 Random Things From a Week in Colorado
Wednesday: GoPro Karma In-Depth Review
Thursday: Huge Sale: 20% off all new trainers, Fenix3 HR, and boatloads more
Friday Morning: Garmin’s new TrueUp multi-device activity tracking sync: Here’s how it works
Friday Evening: Garmin enables migration from Fitbit: Here’s how it works
More Sports Tech Deals!
I’m sure everyone saw a few days ago, but since then I’ve been adding in other deals as they come available, including a boatload of Garmin deals as well as various other smaller things that I find here and there. All of which is found on the deals page here.
YouTube Videos I Published:
I published a bunch of Karma drone videos this week as part of that review. Here they all are:
Stuff that I found interesting around the interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet.
1) A bit more behind GoPro’s Karma drone recall: Most of this isn’t surprising, but if you haven’t seen the mid-air crash videos, then that’s worth a few seconds of your Sunday. I think GoPro has approximately a week, give or take, to make an announcement on if they actually plan to come back to market with Karma anytime soon (i.e. this year). The fact that they actually cancelled all outstanding pre-orders is extremely telling in my mind. Personally, if they can’t have drones re-shipping by December 1st, then I’d argue it’s a loss and they should just move on to V2.
2) How to eat 13,000 calories a day while running across America: Really, I’d prefer to skip the running across America part and still eat 13,000 calories a day (and somehow stay fit).
3) X-Shifter: A Kickstarter Wireless Shifting System: This is interesting, though I wish there was some better 3rd party validation of this platform. The founder guy actually seems like he’s probably legit, but elements of the video have me worried a bit (as does the timelines). Those timelines seem optimistic given this only gives them about 45 days from Kickstarter campaign completion to manufacturing facilities closing for the Chinese New Year. (via Paul R.)
5) I don’t know anything about cliff jumping: But, I still found this interesting. Lots of examples of this in other extreme sports.
8) Running While Female: A really well done (both content as well as presentation) piece from Runner’s World on what it’s like to run as a woman.
Sports Technology Software/Firmware Updates This Week:
Each week I quickly highlight some of the new firmware, app, software and website service updates that I see go out. If you’re a sports technology company and release an update – shoot me a quick note (just one liners are perfect, or Tweet it at me is even better) and I’ll make mention of it here. If I don’t know about it, I won’t be able to post about it. Sound good? Oh – and if you want to get a head start on things, this page is a great resource for watching Garmin firmware updates.
Garmin Edge 520 Firmware Update: Incorporation of latest Connect IQ bits.
Garmin Edge 820 Firmware Update: Also latest Connect IQ bits, and one bug fix.
Garmin Edge 1000 Firmware Update: Latest Connect IQ bits, one bug fix, and new time in zone data fields
Garmin Fenix Chronos Firmware Update: Unknown changes.
Garmin Forerunner 735XT Firmware Update: Running Dynamics Bug Fixes.
Garmin Vivofit3 Firmware Update: Bug fixes.
Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 Firmware Update: Added Image Stabilization to 2.7K (that’s a solid update), and added a nice pile of other features, plus borrowed some UI elements from GoPro Hero5 (like graying out unavailable frame rates for a given resolution). Very solid looking update.
Suunto Spartan Firmware Update: A bunch of bug fixes primarily. Though, Suunto also updated their Spartan firmware roadmap at that link as well.
Thanks for reading all!