The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
DCRainmaker.com posts this past week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page of DCRainmaker.com this week.
Sunday: Week in Review–August 11th, 2012
Monday: First look at the new Polar RC3 GPS–the first integrated GPS watch from Polar
Tuesday: How to fix heart rate strap chaffing issues
Friday: My thoughts IMNYC2013- $1,200 entry fee, 90 minutes shorter, and now no race at all
Paris blog posts this past week:
Here’s all the Parisian fun we’ve been having on our Paris sub-blog. This week we look at what happens when everything closes around us:
Saturday: Paris Blog- Closing Time
Stuff that I found interesting around the interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet:
1) Limiting Swim Deaths in Triathlon: Unfortunately, as I write this, yet another swim death this morning in the USAT Nationals. This post by Slowtwitch was written earlier in the week. Fwiw, National’s did allow a 10-minute warm-up, whether or not the athlete took it is unclear.
2) And then the President walked in: An awesome story from triathlete Ben Collins about how President Obama walked in on his workout last week.
3) How professional sports photographers shoot the Olympics: Spending two weeks shooting the Olympics would be a dream, here’s how the lucky pros at Reuters plan and pull it off. (via Tested)
4) The invisible bike helmet: Tons of you sent this in this week, especially after it was featured on CNN. But if you didn’t see it – here’s work that two women have done to create an invisible bike helmet. Seriously.
5) Kennedy Space Center to host Triathlon: Seriously.the.coolest.race.idea. This multi-distance triathlon for next spring literally goes through Kennedy Space Center and past all the major sights. Totally awesome. From sprint to half-iron distances.
6) Motor Pacing…while racing: Some cool shots from Bill on a unique sport in Germany that actually has cyclists motopace as the holistic aspect of the race.
7) TrainingPeaks – Scaling for the future: Since many of you use TrainingPeaks (I do as well), this might be of interest to you. Posted/e-mailed from the founder on some of their recent issues and what they’re trying to do about it.
8) Under the waves: A cool story of what it was like to shoot (photograph) the entire US Women’s Water Polo team…underwater…at once…with a gigantic US flag.
9) Bike thief tracked 180 miles by owner, setup for sting, chased…and more: This defines awesome (if not ballsy), even cooler is that it all went down in my hometown of Seattle. (Via Outside Magazine – with more backstory)
Bike thief…gets taken.
10) Team GB – The Athletes: A cool video put together in literally an afternoon showing a bunch of the Team Great Britain athletes and their hardware. The link above is from the guy who directed the video – offers a ton of great behind the scenes shot (and also an awesome photography blog I follow). The video itself is below.
11) Norwegian driver swerves to avoid Moose, hits Bear instead. Having done the moose-driving dance before in Canada, I definitely would not have anticipated hitting a bear instead. Hopefully this doesn’t happen to me in a few weeks when I’m up in Norway…
12) Alistair Brownlee’s hopes nearly sunk by town council: A cool little story about what happened when the Olympic medalist tried to install a small recovery pool at his home.
12) Olympic Sailing Explained…by an Irishman: Probably the funniest video I’ve seen all week. A touch bit of language, but absolutely hilarious. Love it.
Sports Technology Software/Firmware Updates This Week:
Each week I quickly highlight some of the new firmware, app, software and website service updates that I see go out. If you’re a sports technology company and release an update – shoot me a quick note (just one liners is perfect, or Tweet it at me) and I’ll make mention of it here. If I don’t know about it, I won’t be able to post about it. Sound good?
Thanks all for reading! Have a great weekend ahead!
FOUND THIS POST USEFUL? SUPPORT THE SITE!
Hopefully, you found this post useful. The website is really a labor of love, so please consider becoming a DC RAINMAKER Supporter. This gets you an ad-free experience, and access to our (mostly) bi-monthly behind-the-scenes video series of “Shed Talkin’”.
Otherwise, perhaps consider using the below link if shopping on Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, but your purchases help support this website a lot. It could simply be buying toilet paper, or this pizza oven we use and love.