May. 17

Wahoo RPM: Dual ANT+/BLE Version

This is Wahoo’s new RPM cadence-pod that attaches to the crank-arm, as well as with a new shoe clip to the front of running shoes (for exercise bikes), or some cycling shoes. The key change is the addition of ANT+, so it’s duel ANT+ & Bluetooth Smart. Availability mid-June.

May 17. 2014QueueComments (71)
May. 17

Wahoo RPM: Dual ANT+/BLE Version

May 17. 2014QueueComments (71)
May. 17

Wahoo RPM: Dual ANT+/BLE Version

May 17. 2014QueueComments (71)
May. 17

Wahoo RPM: Dual ANT+/BLE Version

May 17. 2014QueueComments (71)
May. 17

Wahoo RPM: Dual ANT+/BLE Version

May 17. 2014QueueComments (71)
May. 17

Wahoo RPM: Dual ANT+/BLE Version

May 17. 2014QueueComments (71)
May. 17

Wahoo RPM: Dual ANT+/BLE Version

May 17. 2014QueueComments (71)
May. 17

Wahoo RPM: Dual ANT+/BLE Version

May 17. 2014QueueComments (71)
May. 17

Wahoo RPM: Dual ANT+/BLE Version

May 17. 2014QueueComments (71)
May. 17

Wahoo RPM: Dual ANT+/BLE Version

May 17. 2014QueueComments (71)

1. Gary

Looking forward to this being released. Dual channel is the way forward.

2. Pablo

Can't wait to see the compatibility chart. Starting with my FR405

Unfortunately not compatible with the FR405. You can use this compatibility chart here: link to dcrainmaker.com

It mirrors the Garmin "ANT+ Cadence-only" sensor column, compatibility-wise.

3. scott

Just had it confirmed from Wahoo that this will be available mid/late summer. BT + ANT+!

4. Asyraf

Patiently waiting for this product.

5. Phil

Not so patiently waiting for this product

6. Roger Dennis

got email that ready for shipping, and made my order

• DT replied

Roger,
      Could you tell me from where? Do you have the link? Thanks

7. Roger Dennis

Now up on the wahoo fitness web site

8. roger dennis

received mine, will test today

9. Roger Dennis

Worked very well tied to shoe

10. Rog

Is Wahoo planning on releasing a dual ANT+/BLE that does both cycling speed and cadence? If so, what's the time frame and could it also be used for running? Lastly, would it be compatible with the Fenix 2?

Yes, they plan to release a combo sensor (speed/cadence) that's dual ANT+/BLE, later in the year. No specific date other than this year. And no, it would not be for running in that case. Though, they have said they plan to release dual sensors to replace all their single-protocol sensors today (and they have a footpod today).

11. Lauryn

Has there been any word on a release for this yet? Im trying to find something to track my RPM on the gym spin bike.

Yup, it's been released about a month ago.

• Lauryn replied

Oh great. Any reviews in the works yet? Im an android user so looks like this is my best option thus far? I mainly only use it for spin class, treadmill and some outdoor runs and would like to track the data on my android smartphone. Would this work best with TICKR RUN or Polar Bluetooth H7 HRM? On the Google play reviews for Wahoo it looks like a lot of people were having trouble with the TICKR RUN monitor. Thanks!!

• Lauryn replied

Or maybe the Scosche RHYTHM+?

Review in the works for both the Wahoo RPM2 as well as the TICKR. I really like the Wahoo RPM2, no problems there. For me though, I prefer the Scosche over the TICKR though, mostly because I'm really diggin' the optical sensor these days versus a chest strap.

• Lauryn replied

Awesome thanks!

12. Peter

I just got the wahoo rpm device. However I cannot pair the device to my Samsung S3 phone which should be compatible or my Garmin 800. Any tips?

Are you certain you got the dual version (says ANT+ on back). If so, on the Edge 800 ensure you're trying to pair a cadence-only sensor and not a speed/cadence combo sensor.

On the S3, it would depend on the app specifically that you were using.

13. Nicholas

This is a great site Ray. Congratulations. Is the Wahoo RPM2 shipping in Greece? I checked on wahoo's site and it is not. Any resellers? If this is not an option currently, do we have an estimate of shipping availability?

14. Nate Thompson

I'm hoping they release a stand alone BT4/ANT+ speed sensor to go along with this (similar to Garmin's new system).

15. Any way to find out if trainerroad will support the Wahoo RPM2?

• Gerard replied

According to the Compatible Devices and Sensors page
      link to support.trainerroad.com
      Trainer Road should work with "Any WahooFitness Speed and/or Cadence sensor" but it doesn't seem to be the case.

• Ray Maker replied

Hi Gerard-

I chatted with them via e-mail, and they believe it should work. They're going to grab one and test, but, I'd encourage you to open a support ticket if you're having issues (just so it doesn't fall through the cracks).

16. Andrew Bucknill

I have the original rpm and I use it with a spin bike. However, I find it copes badly with cadence over 100rpm. Do you think the rpm2 with shoe clip is any better in that regard? I'd consider upgrading if so.

17. Javier

Hi DC - are Wahoo Tickr and Wahoo RPM compatible with Edge 510 or 810 vía ANT+?
    Of course I can imagine that RPM is fully compatible with Kickr.
    Thanks!

18. Nicholas

Hi Ray, I have a tomtom multisports (communicating on bluetooth) and am considering a transition to a garmin (communicating on ant+) in the next year or so. I do not have a speed/cadence sensor. I am thinking of purchasing the Wahoo RPM2 (communicating on both bluetooth and ant+) so that I can use it with the tomtom and with a future garmin. Is it the only available solution in my case? Any news on when the Wahoo speed&cadence dual-protocol sensor will be coming out? I remember reading in one of your posts that it will be later in 2014. What are the advantages in using the [tomtom/garmin + Wahoo RPM (speed+)cadence sensor] setup, over a dedicated bike-only setup? Is it just a cheaper solution from where I stand (i.e. owning only a gps watch)?

• DC Rainmaker replied

The RPM won't work with the TomTom unfortunately, since it's not considered a Speed/Cadence combo sensor.

I think we'll probably see the dual version of the Blue-SC come in November or so. As for a full solution, it's essentially having devices dedicated versus a phone.

• Nicholas replied

The RPM2 would not work with tomtom, even if they both run the BT protocol? Wow. You just saved me half a day worth of ordering/attempting to make them work/returning the purchase. Thanks. It's amazing how little advice there is on how these devices interconnect in general. I contacted Wahoo a month ago and their response was: link to support.wahoofitness.com

Jonathan V

Jonathan Vejjajiva (Wahoo Fitness Support)

Aug 12 12:12 PM

Hello,

Looking at the description it says it works with Bluetooth Smart sensors, so it should work with Wahoo Fitness Bluetooth sensors. The RPM is Bluetooth 4.0 (smart). We have not tested this to know for certain.

Jonathan

Nicholas

Aug 12 04:38 AM

Hello, would the Wahoo RPM2 work with tomtom multisport?

------------------
      Submitted from: link to eu.wahoofitness.com

• Nicholas replied

So, let me check my assumptions once more: I understand that the Blue SC running both protocols (BT & ant+) coming out sometime in the next few months, should be compatible with tomtom multisports (running BT) because it will be considered by the watch as a Speed/Cadence combo sensor. It should also be compatible with e.g. garmin 910xt. Correct? Any reason why I should just go for an ant+ only speed/cadence sensor to use with the garmin in terms of functionality?

• DC Rainmaker replied

Correct on the first two, and no reason on the last one unless you really need it today.

• Nicholas replied

Thank you Ray.

19. Dave

Hi Ray

Is there any chance that Wahoo are planning a speed version of the RPM2. I'm currently drifting towards the Garmin Magnet-less Sensors but would really like the option of BLE so I can use them with my iPhone5 especially now TrainerRoad have their iOS app nearing release.

Dave

• DC Rainmaker replied

Wahoo will be introducing a combo Speed/Cadence variant, just like the Blue SC, but with dual ANT+/Bluetooth Smart. Said version should start shipping in the next 7-14 days (possibly as early as this week). I'll post about it when it does.

20. Ste Blezard

Hi,
    I'm looking at this product to work with my Garmin 910XT before I purchase it. I know it should work on my iPhone/ Strava.
    Also is it easy to transfer data from my 910XT to Strava?

21. Rui

I thought there used to be a full review of the Wahoo RPM... but I can't find it now...

(sorry, if these are redundant questions)

I am wondering how the RPM behaves... is there latency? Does it accurately calculate high cadences.

cheers,
    Rui

• DC Rainmaker replied

Oddly enough, never quite did a full review of the Wahoo RPM.

In any event, there's no appreciable latency. In running a slew of concurrent sensors it's all the same. I'll go back and double-check the data, but I know I've been into the 120's or so without any RPM issues there on a trainer. I'd have to double-check the data on the tests I did closer to 150-160RPM.

22. Mark

I have now used the Wahoo RPM. There is a 2 to 4 second delay between when I start or stop pedaling and when my Garmin Edge 500 registers cadence/0 cadence. Is this normal for the Wahoo RPM? If so, can I do anything about it and/or would the Garmin wireless cadence sensor be any better in this regard?

• Mark Massey replied

So after riding with the Wahoo RPM now for a couple of hundred miles plus time on a trainer, I've reached the conclusion that the "Zeroing" issue is negligible and it is a non-issue. I am happy with this product. Thank You for excellent customer service so far.

• Mark Massey replied

The "Excellent Customer Service" comment was intended for Wahoo. I copied my last email I sent them and pasted it here. Thanks DC Rainmaker for your excellent website. I value your opinions when it comes to cyccling products such as this.

23. Nicholas

I'm coming back to this, after a comment I made in September: Is the Wahoo ANT+/Bluetooth Smart combo Speed/Cadence variant, out yet? Who ships it in the EU?

• DC Rainmaker replied

Yup, it's out. I believe Wahoo carries it on their EU site.

• Reddy replied

Does Wahoo (or any other company) currently offer a BTLE, magnet-less speed sensor?

• DC Rainmaker replied

A company called Velocomputer does, I have two devices but haven't got them setup yet (just came in).

• Reddy replied

Seems to be a versatile product--same sensor can work in 3 positions, with firmware changes: hub, crank and seat!!
      BT-Smart and ANT+.

Apparently ship in Jan 2015. Can't wait for your review. Can one request a quicker turnaround on this?

• Reddy replied

I can wait for a complete review--need only a go or wait for next version. Welcome to email me.

• Hendrik replied

Hi Ray,
      I am also very interested in some initial feedback on whether they work or whether you advise to wait for a future iteration.
      Hendrik

24. Reddy

Is there a standalone two-way BT-Smart-ANT+ bridge?

• Ray Maker replied

Nope, nuttin.

• Reddy replied

How about a standalone ANT+ to BT-SMART bridge? Can live without BT-SMART to ANT+.

I do not want to buy/wear a HRM strap--sold on the Scotsche Rhythm+ HRM.

• Ray Maker replied

The Viiiiva does ANT+ to BLE, as does the Mio Fuse. Those are the only products today on the market that do bridging. Wahoo has hinted at it for a heck of a long time in sensors...but has never quite delivered there (beyond the RFLKT+).

• Reddy replied

Thanks again. Checked out the two products. It is a pleasure dealing with someone knowledgeable.

Typo: Mio Velo I think, not Fuse.

Why can't someone offer a standalone dual ANT+ BLE bridge?

• Ray Maker replied

Indeed, meant Velo. Will tweak in a second.

As for why not a dual ANT+/BLE bridge, it's actually somewhat of a chipset limitation. For the chipsets capable of dual transmission the BLE side has to be in either a master or slave configuration. Doing dual-dual, would basically require two side by side chips. Also, there's pretty few (none that I can think of actually) scenarios where someone wants to go from BLE to ANT+, it's almost always ANT+ to BLE.

• Reddy replied

Makes sense. I actually do not need BLE to ANT+ right now, except for the following case.

Using an Android phone as bikecomputer--if I bike enough to warrant a dedicated bike-computer (most seem to be ANT+ only) then will need ANT+ to BLE to use the existing sensors.

Scenario: someone who uses an ANT+ computer (like Garmin) and a smartphone.

• Ray Maker replied

But the above case is actually ANT+ to BLE, not BLE to ANT+, no? ;)

• Reddy replied

Right now, BLE smartphone, BLE sensors.

If I switch to ANT+ bike computer, will have BLE sensors and ANT+ bike computer. Will then need BLE to ANT+.

BTW, when you said BLE chip has to be in either master or slave configuration. Is this state fixed permanently or can it switch between the two states? If the latter, then one chip should suffice for one type of bike computer. If the former or one plans on using ANT+ and Android bike computers, then need two chips.

• Ray Maker replied

Gotchya. I think that first problem is being solved as most of the sensors are going dual transmission these days.

It can generally be switched if on a full 4.0 chipset, but not on a reduced BLE chipset.

25. Stuart Brown

I'd be very interested in the Velocompute speed sensor. I have a Blue SC and it's been fine but has an issue with my computer. Plus it just gets in the way trying to keep it in the right position and keep the bike clean, magnetless is the way to go! I'm really after a BT and ANT+ device, so I like the look of the RPM - Plus I can fit it to my MTB easily too.

It is a pity Wahoo haven't got the same flexible rubber band style mounting for the RPM as the new Garmin magnetless sensors then they'd be perfect.

If Wahoo made a magnetless Speed sensor too, that would be most welcome!

• Reddy replied

I missed the zip ties--assumed Wahoo RPM came with rubber bands since Wahoo's Blue SC did.
      Guess Wahoo wants to maxmize revenue by limiting portabilty across bikes!!
      What a step back.

• Ray Maker replied

I suspect Wahoo will simply send you (likely even for free) a few extra pod adapters for your other cranks. This allows you to pop the pod and move it around easily (as I do).

• Reddy replied

If you look at the first video at link to wahoofitness.com
      the opening of the silicone mount is towards the crank--so not sure if the mount is flexible enough for multiple insertions on removals.

Having said that, by pod adapter did you mean the silicone mount or the one that comes with Blue SC and uses rubber bands? If the latter, does it fit the RPM sensor?

• Ray Maker replied

Yeah, I've always kept it facing towards the bottom bracket (so I could access it), and never have had any issues (been on there easily a year+).

I mean the silicone mount with zip ties.

26. Reddy

Perhaps you can use a velcro strap + shoe clip mount and the instructions at link to wahoofitness.com for attaching to a shoe to make a flexible mounting system for the crank.

27. Mark Masesy

I use 3M 35 Electrical Tape (stretched for a tight wrap) to attach the RPM to my crank arm. I use it so I can move it from my road bike to the spinner at the gym. Works very well.

28. Reddy

One can probably use the one zip tie to make one loop that extends both sides of the crank and then use velcro straps.

Pass the zip tie thru one slot, out on the other side, in thru the opposite slot and then out. Make it long enough to leave loops on both sides. Use velcro straps or a piece of cable to attach the two loops.

29. Reddy

Thanks again. I think you mean the Mio Velo.

Why can't someone offer a standalone dual ANT+ BLE bridge?