Heads-up: Huge Sports Tech Sale Underway – 20% Off All Smart Trainers!
There’s a massive sales on smart cycling trainers right now, plus plenty other sports tech. There’s 20% off the Wahoo KICKR, KICKR CORE, CLIMB, Headwind, 20% off the Tacx NEO 2T, Flux 2, and Flux S, 20% off Saris Hammer 3 trainer and Saris MP1 Motion Platform. Plus also 20% off the Elite Direto X and Suito too, even the new Sterzo. Plus even steeper deals including with the Kinetic trainers at 30% off.
The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter and Facebook, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
DCRainmaker.com posts in the past week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page of DCRainmaker.com this past week:
We’re into the final push of solid May sales – with many new ones this week returning. As I’ve noted in more detail on my sales landing page, May sales are very common. One of the best deals here is the Garmin FR735 for $315 (normally $450). It’s still receiving Connect IQ and feature updates and is just barely one year old. Great little lightweight tri/running watch.
Oh – and for some weird reason an entry in the table for ‘All Suunto gear is 25% off’ isn’t showing up. I’ve got some techies trying to figure it out, but FYI. Note that the only watch excluded is the Wrist HR model on that one.
⚡ There's some great deals in here. The base GoPro Hero 8 Black is down to $349, but many retailers for $10-$20 more are adding in a crapton of accessories you'll buy anyway like extra batteries, the shorty stick, etc... I've linked to a collection of them, my personal fav is linked in the second link, and has two extra GoPro battires, a 64GB microSD card, and then a USB card reader.
Now, if you don't mind a bit of noise, and a bit of inaccuracy in the power data - then this is a steal for this trainer . Definitely the lowest price we've seen it to date. But, read the review first.
⚡ REI & Clever Training 20% sale till supplies last (likely not long). REI use code MEMPERKS2020, Clever Training use code MARCH20. NOTE: Clever Training has NEO 2T in stock, whereas REI is backordered.
Note, you still have to pay full price, but then on April 30th you can submit in you rebate form. Honestly, the least favorite type of sale out there. But hey, if you were going to buy one anyway - then woot! Just remember to put in a calendar reminder to submit the form!
Stuff that I found interesting around the interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet.
1) Kickstarter adds hardware studio offering to help creators: This is a good step towards trying to minimize the countless delayed hardware projects on Kickstarter. But a better step would be Kickstarter adding repercussions for hardware startups that don’t have realistic plans to begin with. You know, accountability and all that. Still far too many projects pass through Kickstarter’s supposed filters that just aren’t viable with the timelines they set out.
2) Secrets of a Pro Photographer: Maven has done some awesome Giro vlogs, especially in the last few days. Between this one and the one yesterday – he’s really finding his groove. I would say on the photographer one that yes, it’s a bit long. And it might seem a bit ‘cold’ earlier on in the first few minutes, but then it feels like Jered warms up a bit and the content is really interesting.
3) Tour of California Data Numbers: While many teams publish pro data as part of larger compilations, this blog series is actually fairly detailed with a Q&A with the rider themselves on different data aspects. Cool stuff.
4) Inside the Race Caravan at the ToC: Speaking of the Tour of California, this is an awesome piece by Neal Rogers written in real-time from inside one of the Team Sky vehicles. I think this could turn into a great series.
5) Sniper vs GoPro: And I now know how I’m going to justify any future GoPro purchases to The Girl: “But it could save my life!!!”. Seriously though, glad this guy is (mostly) OK. (sent in via Ken)
6) Tidbit on a Runners World vs Nike feud: Interesting post outlining what happened when Runners World published a piece that said Nike wasn’t the best shoe model one year. Looks a bit like Lance Armstrong tactics. On the flipside, when you (a publisher) bite the hand that feeds you (advertising)…and that’s what’s wrong with that model when it comes to reviews. (via Steve Magness)
7) Endless pool swimming file creator: This is pretty nifty. If you’ve got an endless pool you can insert your time and pace, and then the app will automatically determine distance. From there it creates a .TCX file you can upload to various swim platforms. Brilliant. Would love to see this in some sort of watch-app form as well.
8) Heli mountain biking? Why yes, I’d be happy to complete a detailed review of your rack (done in flight of course). I’m glad you asked!
Sports Technology Software/Firmware Updates This Week:
Each week I quickly highlight some of the new firmware, app, software and website service updates that I see go out. If you’re a sports technology company and release an update – shoot me a quick note (just one-liners are perfect, or Tweet it at me is even better) and I’ll make mention of it here. If I don’t know about it, I won’t be able to post about it. Sound good? Oh – and if you want to get a head start on things, this page is a great resource for watching Garmin firmware updates.
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
You'll support the site, and get ad-free DCR! Plus, you'll be more awesome. Click above for all the details. Oh, and you can sign-up for the newsletter here!
Here’s how to save!
Wanna save some cash and support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10BTF) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
In the UK/EU/Australia/New Zealand? Then hit up Wiggle at the link below!
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!
You probably stumbled upon here looking for a review of a sports gadget. If you’re trying to decide which unit to buy – check out my in-depth reviews section. Some reviews are over 60 pages long when printed out, with hundreds of photos! I aim to leave no stone unturned.
I travel a fair bit, both for work and for fun. Here’s a bunch of random trip reports and daily trip-logs that I’ve put together and posted. I’ve sorted it all by world geography, in an attempt to make it easy to figure out where I’ve been.
The most common question I receive outside of the “what’s the best GPS watch for me” variant, are photography-esq based. So in efforts to combat the amount of emails I need to sort through on a daily basis, I’ve complied this “My Photography Gear” post for your curious minds! It’s a nice break from the day to day sports-tech talk, and I hope you get something out of it!
Many readers stumble into my website in search of information on the latest and greatest sports tech products. But at the end of the day, you might just be wondering “What does Ray use when not testing new products?”. So here is the most up to date list of products I like and fit the bill for me and my training needs best! DC Rainmaker 2019 swim, bike, run, and general gear list. But wait, are you a female and feel like these things might not apply to you? If that’s the case (but certainly not saying my choices aren’t good for women), and you just want to see a different gear junkies “picks”, check out The Girl’s 2018 Gear Guide too.