The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
DCRainmaker.com posts this past week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page of DCRainmaker.com this week:
Sunday: Week in Review- December 18th, 2011
Monday: Point to point long runs and unpacking the LeMond Revolution Trainer
Tuesday: Tidbits- Initial thoughts on LeMond Trainer, me being on TV Tuesday Night
Wednesday: Why the New York Times GPS running article missed the boat
Stuff that I found interesting around the interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet:
1) Cool running/cycling/outdoor iron-on pocket for athletes: Saw this on Kickstarter, and then was contacted by founder ironically enough a few days alter. Unfortunately FedEx missed me and a test sample by about 30 minutes, so I didn’t get it prior to the trip. But the idea really fascinates me, both for carrying phones as well as stuff like credit cards and car rental keys (I hate the non-removable keyrings the companies use now). Kickstarter is awesome, but it does require support – so if you think it’s worthwhile, head on over and help kick-start the project.
2) Seattle Police Department makes fun of jogger hit by truck: Serious bummer to see this, especially coming from my hometown. 🙁
3) Really cool behind the scenes article on Revolights and Kickstarter in general: Speaking of Kickstarter again – Revolights used them (can’t wait to try out the set I bought back a few months ago), and this is a really well done piece about the power of Kickstarter in projects like this.
4) Article with High Performance Coach Joel Filliol: Joel was over the Canadian National Triathlon Team, then went to work for the Brits, and has recently gone back to Canada to do individual coaching. A really good piece done by Slowtwitch with him.
5) Gotta Windows Phone? Here’s another sports/fitness tracking app for ya. Since the landscape is still a bit slim on WP7, I figured I’d call this one out – heck, even Engadget did.
6) New GPS Satellites closer to launch. These satellites should hopefully improve accuracy and other GPS goodness, and perhaps even help out our favorite New York Times reporting with her running GPS issues.
7) General GPS news awesomeness: If your interested in GPS news of any sort, there’s really only one place that I get my weekly dose of everything GPS. The previous item reminded me that I’ve been meaning to share my secret sauce. His weekly roundup called ‘Waypoints’ is where it’s at.
8) Totally vindicated on re-appropriating bathtub for temporary sports laundry storage: I’m glad to see that nearby blogger LessorIsMore has completely vindicated me in this arena. Now only if I could convince The Girl…
9) Ironwars now a downloadable book. I wasn’t sure how I felt about this book given some of the controversy surrounding it, primarily from the main subjects of the book feeling they’ve been misrepresented. But, having it available as an e-Book pushed me over the edge, so I downloaded it to my Kindle reader to read on the trip. Will let ya know in a few weeks what I think.
10) Don’t forget to track Santa tonight! It’s like online race tracking, only with a much more important competitor.
Have a Merry Christmas tomorrow!
Thanks for the update! Kewl stuff!