8 responses

1. SSB
    April 1, 2012

If the chocolate milk folks need someone to provide coverage of Honu feel free to give them my name. :-)

2. Kim
    April 1, 2012

Caits my gal! Looks like youre having a blast ray.

3. dcmidnight
    April 1, 2012

I love chocolate milk, love it. Had read a great article once years ago – might have been in Runners World – comparing Guinness, chocolate milk and Gatorade as recovery drinks. Chocolate milk was the winner! Love it!

4. Jeroen Jonk
    April 1, 2012

Quite amusing the concept of drinking chocolate milk for recovery. It seems to become a real trend where you folks live. :-)

I understand chocolate milk may help recovery since it probably contains some sugar, proteins and chocolate may also help somewhat. Of the flip side, chocolate milk may also contain saturated fat. Hmmm…

What makes chocolate milk so special for recovery?

5. Mark
    April 2, 2012

I made it onto the DC Rainmaker web site! I am the guy in second pic above walking my Cervelo bike with the HED Jet 9 rear wheel into transition! My face is cut off, but that is me!

6. Barry Brown
    April 3, 2012

Ray…I wish I would have known. I would love to have met you in person. I was there and finished my first Ironman 70.3! Bib #1785

7. Jordi
    April 3, 2012

Ray – Nice pictures…making Galveston look pretty. I raced that Sunday and was very surprised not to see chocolate milk offered at the end. I am a big chocolate milk fan and was looking for it.

Is there a contracting issue with Ironman or something? They had water, beer, and soda, but no drinks really useful for recovery in the athlete food area.Some recent run races I have run has had choc milk and I hope IM races soon do too with all the promotion their athletes are doing of it.

8. Rainmaker
    April 6, 2012

Hi Jeron-

The primary benefit is mostly the balance of carbs, sugar and a bit of fat. It’s primarily from a recovery standpoint – not so much just to drink for the fun of it. Here’s a good recent study on it: link to journals.lww.com

Hi Mark!

Awesome, funny how small a world it is!

Hi Barry!

Ahh, bummer. Yeah, it was a bit of a last minute thing.

Hi Jordi-

I’m not aware of any issues. Perhaps some around just keeping that much chocolate milk cold in the hot sun. I’ll poke around and ask – as I think it’s a great idea!