The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter and Facebook, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
DCRainmaker.com posts in the past week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page of DCRainmaker.com this past week.
Monday: Hands-on: Team Zwatt launches subscription based power meter
Wednesday: Hands-on: Polar’s new Android Wear based M600 GPS Sport Watch (with music!)
Wednesday: Wahoo Fitness rolls out Strava Live Segments to ELEMNT GPS
Thursday: Tech Tidbits: Basis closes up shop, Strava announces live tracking platform
Friday: Friday DCR Facebook Live Q&A: Aug 5th!
Facebook Live Recording!
In case you didn’t catch the live event above, you can watch it below in all its recorded glory (including all the comments/questions below the video). Obviously there are some tweaks I can make around audio (once the Mevo Boost accessory arrives), as well as camera angles. But not too shabby the first time around. Also, in the last 3-5 minutes I talk about ideas for future live videos. So give that a listen and drop your feedback below in the comments!
YouTube videos of note:
Woah! I got into the swing of making YouTube videos this week each afternoon. So lots of stuff here to share! I’ve got a pile of interesting YouTube ideas for the next few weeks. I’m trying to find the balance for videos like these that don’t take me at max more than 45-60mins to produce (including shooting/editing/etc…). Once I get beyond that, my video skills just take me too long.
In any case – enjoy! Oh, and you can subscribe on YouTube here, so you get notifications instantly when I publish new stuff.
Stuff that I found interesting around the interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet:
1) Olympic Rule 40 Explained: This post explains the Rule 40 fairly well, and why this crazy-ass rule matters to athletes right now (in a big way). And the below video doubles down on it.
2) Calgary Triathlon gets transition area in satellite maps: My coach (Alan Melvin) was putting together some race plan details for an athlete competing today in a triathlon in Calgary and noticed that the transition area from last year was captured on the satellite imagery now used for that area (if you zoom in far enough). Talk about perfect race prep book!
3) Tour de France behind the scenes logistics video: GoPro put together this piece, called ‘Beyond the race’, and it’s pretty cool. All about what goes on every day to make a single Tour de France stage. Really nuts.
4) GoPro Hero5 stuffs: Speaking of GoPro. Noted.
5) Washington Post using robotic writers (computers) for published Olympic updates: Reminds me a bit of the baseball box score writing that started a while back via computers.
6) SmashRun app is raising money to pay Garmin’s $5K fee: Or…you know, Garmin could just waive the fee and increase innovation on their platform and thus increase attachment of users to their platform.
7) Olympics add 5 new sports for 2020: They are karate, skateboard, climbing, surfing, and baseball/softball. You’ll note that baseball was an Olympic sport from 1904 until 2008, but skipped 2012/2016. Softball was an Olympic sport from 1996 to 2008.
8) Nat Geo creates topo map at-home printing platform (for free): While many readers here might be using topo maps on electronic devices, sometimes it just makes sense to have a paper printed map.
Sports Technology Software/Firmware Updates This Week:
Each week I quickly highlight some of the new firmware, app, software and website service updates that I see go out. If you’re a sports technology company and release an update – shoot me a quick note (just one liners are perfect, or Tweet it at me is even better) and I’ll make mention of it here. If I don’t know about it, I won’t be able to post about it. Sound good? Oh – and if you want to get a head start on things, this page is a great resource for watching Garmin firmware updates.
Wahoo ELEMNT firmware update: Added Strava Live segments, discussed in detail in Wednesday’s post mentioned above.
Garmin Vivosmart HR+ firmware update: Added Walk support, other minor improvement tweaks.
Thanks for reading all!