I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10WHP) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- Eurobike Sports Tech Snippets Part 2: Lazer, Shimano, Revbox, Lightweight, Elite! http://t.co/viikAocOU4 #, 21 mins ago
- @marksmallwood79 @defender_sg Only about 1/3rd the time. Nonetheless, this guy was very insistent on attempting to locate it. #, 4 hours ago
- The passport control officer was very set on finding the most recent French arrival stamp in my passport this morning. Good luck on that... #, 8 hours ago
- @FHKJ I really wouldn't expect that only 6 months after the most recent one was released. #, 9 hours ago
- @nbgracer Nope, all good. By 'faster when I want them to', I mean that when I push harder I go faster (and the bike doesn't fall apart!). #, 14 hours ago
- FYI/Reminder: Fenix2 at $299US and VIRB at $229US deal ends tonight. Details here: http://t.co/mcUvmRoGKM #, 15 hours ago
- @yasiensarlie It depends. Also Fenix2 to consier (and cheap today too). If using it this month, probably 910XT. #, 16 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Summer 2014 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Tag Archives: Technology
A month or so ago I was contacted and asked if I would like to moderate a panel at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January, in Las Vegas. For those not familiar with CES – it’s one of … Read More Here
Earlier this week we saw Specialized release their new triathlon bike in Kona as part of the lead-up to this weekend’s Ironman Championships. For those whose lives don’t revolve around the sport, this may seem like just another bike. And … Read More Here
(Note from Ray: Two weeks ago when I published the results of the Bod Pod and body fat scale testing, a reader who happens to be a PhD Candidate in Pharmaceutical Sciences – Nathaniel Page – made an offer to … Read More Here
Monday night I had my usual Monday easy swim, and since it’s summer, I was able to do it outdoors in the town pool (during the winter, I’m stuck indoors). I had planed afterwards to spend a bit of time … Read More Here
You may remember last year after Interbike I rounded up all the stories I did while down at Interbike in Las Vegas and put together a chart of each companies expected product availability information, along with my best guesses for … Read More Here
Ever since booking our honeymoon months ago I was curious exactly what the GPS map would look like while running outside on the circular running track while the ship was underway at sea. Would you be able to see the … Read More Here
A little over a week ago at the Google IO conference a company called Fossil not so quietly introduced the MetaWatch. The watch allows one to wirelessly connect to their cell phone and stream glanceable information, such as who’s calling … Read More Here
Let me just state this up front: Everyone’s reading…so here’s your chance. Everyone…your chance. But…let’s not get ahead of ourselves quite yet. This past summer I put together a post titled “How I would design the ideal sports watch”, which … Read More Here
If you follow the all of the Internets much, then you probably saw a flurry of news activity around Southwest airlines early last month. These were from reporters large and small – everyone from the local paper, to the major … Read More Here
When Garmin announced their newest product – Chirp – last Friday, I’m fairly certain that a grand total of 3 people in the endurance sports world actually noticed. After all, it’s targeted at the Geocaching folks (who are all abuzz … Read More Here
Now that some of the hype has died down a bit from Interbike, it’s time to take a look at what exactly all these vendors have promised…and which ones might actually meet their promises. But as is always the case, … Read More Here
One of the great things about Interbike is the ability to sit down with engineers and product folks about their products and have a good chat. While some companies shy away from having their top engineers show up at trade … Read More Here
(Administrative note: Looking for the usual Weekly Mailbag? No worries, it’s still a staple – but I’ve got some cool news coming about that on Tuesday…so hang onto your helmets and we’ll get there.) Some of you may have seen … Read More Here