I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10LFW) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
The DC RAINMAKER PODCAST
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @ware_melanie Indeed, the train is picking up speed. #, 3 mins ago
- Sorry for slowness! Should be cookin' faster shortly! Doing some more tweaking. Don't worry, you've still got another 70mins this giveaway! #, 54 mins ago
- @Dave_Manley I think so. I need to re-do the data myself, but another read shifted everything and said it roughly lined up. #, 55 mins ago
- Next up on the (slightly slow) DCR Giveaway Extravaganza: Withings WS50 WiFi Scale + Withings Activité: http://t.co/1ZcRLhY7xW #, 1 hour ago
- @hbeumer Sorry! Working to add a bit more capacity. The latest giveaway triggered a few minutes late due to the strain. #, 2 hours ago
- Next up on the DCR Giveaway Extravaganza: Garmin FR920XT Tri Bundle (w/HRM-SWIM/TRI Straps!):http://t.co/3bkiMiYagw http://t.co/1zP9RuzeDd #, 4 hours ago
- Let the games begin! First up on the DCR Giveaway Extravaganza is the GoPro Hero4 Silver & My Favorite Mount: http://t.co/KpalacxDWX #, 6 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Winter 2014-2015 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2015 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) 2015 list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Tag Archives: Interbike2013
With all of my 2013 Interbike product-related posts now completed, I figured it’d be fun to briefly look at some of the booth competitions that were found on the show floor as I wandered around. Of course, this is really … Read More Here
Interbike News That Didn’t Fit: Tacx iPad App, iBike, BikeSpike, Pioneer, Garmin FR220/FR620 notes, and more!
As I wander around the show floor there’s plenty of little things that don’t fit and/or really have enough content to create a full post from. Usually little snippets of information I found interesting, and/or you requested more information about. … Read More Here
Over the last week many of you asked me to look into Elite’s new Turbo Muin trainer, which was just announced by the Italian cycling company. So I did just that, thus, let’s dive right into things. The 17kg (37.4lbs) … Read More Here
Well, actually, my title is probably a bit misleading. Thus, I should probably be more honest in my titles in the future. See, it isn’t actually ANT+, but rather private-ANT. Second, it doesn’t actually control your Di2 system – rather, … Read More Here
This week Tate Labs (which is the real name of the company behind the Barfly) unveiled a bunch of new mounts to allow you to mount just about anything on the planet to your bike. You’ll remember my previous post … Read More Here
This week at Interbike, K-Edge showed off a number of new mounts that will be hitting the market starting October 7th. While K-Edge has been selling Garmin Edge compatible mounts for a while now, these mounts either update some of … Read More Here
Today I got the chance to go hands-on with a very preliminary version of the SRM iPad application that will accompany the new SRM PC8 head units next spring (2014) as part of a simultaneous release. I previously covered the … Read More Here
Kinomap demonstrates route builder software, adds CycleOps PowerBeam support, Sony Action Cam integration
The folks at Kinomap have been pretty busy lately, adding a slew of new features to their existing Kinomap trainer app, as well as optimizing some of the existing functions in the app. First up is expanded compatibility with the … Read More Here
Tonight I spent the evening checking out the Super Sprint triathlon race format as part of the Super Sprint Triathlon Grand Prix which served as the 2013 USA Triathlon Elite Sprint National Championships. This racing style is a bit different … Read More Here
Here at Interbike, 4iiii’s has announced their latest product – Cliiiimb – which allows you to get status updates in real time while riding or running any Strava segment against anybody already on the Strava leaderboard. 4iiii’s will be releasing … Read More Here
Redshift Sports demonstrates Switch Aero System quick-release and quick-change aerobar/seatpost system
Back a number of months ago there was a Kickstarter campaign for the Switch Aero System, which takes the clip-on aerobars concept to a more flexible place. Previously clip-on aerobars weren’t actually as ‘clip-on’ simple as their name implies, as … Read More Here
Today at Interbike BKOOL made a slew of announcements related to their trainer platform. In doing so they’re adding themselves to a growing chorus of companies that are adopting standards around indoor training and the software and devices that are … Read More Here
Today at Interbike I got a sneak peek at Stages Cycling’s latest firmware update plans coming down the line to Stages Power meter owners. First up is the addition of the ANT+ Torque Effectiveness and Power Smoothness metrics. These metrics … Read More Here
Today at Interbike Wahoo Fitness announced their Wahoo RPM Bluetooth Smart cadence sensor. This tiny pod attaches to your current crank arm and provides cadence (revolutions per minute) via Bluetooth Smart, to compatible applications. This is similar to their Blue … Read More Here
Power2Max announced here at Interbike that they are lowing their prices further – almost 20%, following price reductions and new product announcements at Eurobike just three weeks ago. Here’s the skinny: – The $899US FSA Gossamer will be a permanent … Read More Here