I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10WHP) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @doc_ryan Sydney, but very impressed by breakfast. Thankful that Oneworld Emeralds can get in sans-1st class. #, 4 hours ago
- @WBFraser @tbross319 Some apps like Sport Tracks would enable that, but would require supported file type. Still slightly TBD. #, 5 hours ago
- @JCandie Sure, but not till Wednesday when I get home and met up with Band. Sorry! #, 5 hours ago
- @WBFraser I don't believe it does retransmission. Perhaps @tbross319 can confirm on his wrist? #, 5 hours ago
- Next up as I work my way home over the next few days, one if these locales for a long weekend with The Girl. http://t.co/d5tM8Kq2w6 #, 5 hours ago
- RT @outsidemagazine: Nike has announced that it will be closing down its snowboarding business: http://t.co/DDq27roEPu #, 5 hours ago
- RT @Velib: Demain soir, balade à velo dans Paris speciale Halloween ! http://t.co/nMOvYWWR1C http://t.co/nZDfsfa4V9 #, 6 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Summer 2014 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Tag Archives: Garmin
Today, at the ANT+ Symposium in Kananaskis, Canada, Garmin has announced a sweeping change to how 3rd parties can interface with Garmin wearable devices a new platform called Connect IQ. This will ultimately allow 3rd party developers to write applications … Read More Here
Today, at the start of the outdoor portion of Eurobike, Garmin has made two cycling specific announcements. The first is unveiling the Vector S power meter, while the second is announcing upcoming ‘Cycling Dynamics’ metrics that will be applicable to … Read More Here
Please note that I’ve now published my full in-depth review of the FR15. You should head over to that post to get all caught up. Today Garmin has announced their newest product, the Garmin FR15. The FR15 is the latest … Read More Here
Please note: My Final Fenix2 In-Depth Review is now available and published here. Today, Garmin announced their latest watch – the Fenix2. This unit builds upon the first generation Fenix unit that was initially released in the summer of 2012. … Read More Here
CES Roundup Part 2: Garmin, ANT+, 4iiii, BKOOL, Withings, O-Synce, Outside Interactive, LG, Pebble, Casio, Opryx, Glucovation
We left off yesterday with Part 1 of my CES Roundup, which covered new products and notables from the following companies: Sony, Geonaute, Contour, VOXX, Jaybird, Kreyos, Aftershokz, Reebok, Magellan, and Moxy. Today, we dive into the second half of … Read More Here
The Garmin FR220 is the company’s latest mid-range (price-wise) running watch, which succeeds the older FR210 unit. The FR210 carved out the mid-range niche, ahead of a slew of competitors that have followed in its footsteps. But can Garmin jump … Read More Here
Today (well, technically last night, just barely) Garmin announced the latest addition to their bike computer lineup – the Garmin Touring. I had a chance to spend time with the product team last April and give them a bunch of … Read More Here
My Full In-Depth Review of the VIRB and VIRB Elite has been published! Check it out here! On Tuesday Garmin announced their entry into the sports action camera market – a market currently dominated by GoPro, with a slew of … Read More Here
[Please Note: Garmin Vector has been released, you can see my first look at it here. In the interest of keeping things clean, I've disabled new comments here, and all comments should head over to that post. Thanks!] Today, on … Read More Here
[Please Note: Garmin Vector has been released, you can see my first look at it here. In the interest of keeping things clean, I've disabled new comments here, and all comments should head over to that post. Thanks!] Over the past … Read More Here
A few hours ago Garmin released an update that enables the TrainingPeaks metrics of TSS/IF/NP, as well as adds a whole crapton of other items and fixes. And yes, crapton is a technical term. This brings the unit inline with … Read More Here
It’s been nearly 10 months since the announcement that TSS/NP/IF metrics would come to the Edge 500, and as of 11AM central time – it’s finally available. For those that want to get right to the action, you can swing … Read More Here
Earlier this week, Garmin introduced a new bit of functionality to their existing Garmin Fit iPhone/Android app. This is the app that uses their Garmin Fit iPhone adapter to access ANT+ data. It came out last fall, and for the … Read More Here
Just a quick bit of news from Garmin to start off your day: “After testing our latest advanced prototypes of the Vector system, we are still not satisfied with the results. As you can imagine, Vector is a complex, precision … Read More Here
This might be the quickest post I’ve ever written – but it’s one that I feel probably deserves some brief mention – if only to divert mail flow from my own inbox, directly to theirs (at the office this is … Read More Here