I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10JKW) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @KodakPIXPRO After capturing footage, is there any way to upload 360* video/photo where people can interactively move image? #, 11 hours ago
- @emateosg I bought the Kodak and Sony, Clever Training sent Zeal to try out, and Velocomputer sent by the company. #, 23 hours ago
- .@abussey1 @NickCameron She's more low-budget. Two little $5 sparkly pink Fitbit Flex bands she ordered were in that box. Happy camper. :) #, Nov 22
- @NickCameron @abussey1 The power meters alone would eat through that... #, Nov 22
- RT @NickCameron: I seriously feel like purchasing everything @dcrainmakerblog reviews. You have become an expensive habit and I love it. #, Nov 22
- @PreachSwanson It does. Though, unfortunately I don't just get to tear open the box! Always a gazillion photos involved. #, Nov 21
- Also arrived today... Kodak 360* action cam, Zeal HD2 ski goggles, Sony Smartwatch3, and Velocomputer sensors. http://t.co/kuDpsCX0Ws #, Nov 21
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Summer 2014 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Here’s my second roundup of Eurobike tech snippets. The Part 1 roundup can be found here. This is in addition to all my other more Eurobike product-specific posts where the focus was a single product or company. Let’s dive right … Read More Here
There’s a lot of new tech this year on the floor of Eurobike, more so than I’ve seen in years past. On Thursday alone I spent 12 hours in meetings with these companies. And that didn’t even touch all the coolness … Read More Here
The Massive Eurobike Power Meter News Roundup: Quarq, Stages, SRM, PowerBeat, Ciclo, Verve Infocrank, Xpedo
For some power meter companies here at Eurobike I put together full posts if they had a number of new major products, or if they had some sort of significant news. These included: Garmin: New model, announcement of Cycling Dynamics … Read More Here
Over the past 2 years, Spanish trainer company BKOOL has broken into the resistance controlled trainer market with a lower priced offering that is undercutting some of the mid-range to the edge of the higher end trainers in the market … Read More Here
Here at Eurobike Power2Max has announced a number of new power meters, targeting two different markets. The first is bringing the Type S lineup to the mountain bike market, while a the same time expanding out their road bike market. Power2Max … Read More Here
Over the last few weeks Tacx has trickled out details on their trainers for the upcoming season. The overall theme of which is dual ANT+/Bluetooth Smart compatibility, as well as expanded app operating system compatibility and integration. I’ll start by … Read More Here
Today at Eurobike Polar announced and showed off a slew of power meter specific features and products – all of which are scheduled to hit the market in the next 60 days. Here’s the run down. New Bluetooth Smart Keo … Read More Here
Last year at Eurobike, PowerTap had on display a bit of a historical timeline of the company’s past products. 15 years worth of power meter products on display, a nod to the company’s long line of various developments that hit retail … Read More Here
K-Edge shows off new combo Garmin/GoPro mount, new Pioneer mount, also new more aerodynamic Garmin mount
Today at Eurobike K-Edge had on hand a number of their just announced mounts, the most interesting being a new combo mount adapter that holds both your GoPro (or other action cam), as well as your Garmin bike computer. Beyond … Read More Here
Today, at the start of the outdoor portion of Eurobike, Garmin has made two cycling specific announcements. The first is unveiling the Vector S power meter, while the second is announcing upcoming ‘Cycling Dynamics’ metrics that will be applicable to … Read More Here
Hope everyone is preparing for a good weekend ahead (or, for you in Australia and the Middle East, already having a good weekend)! Just a super-quick heads up that Garmin has temporarily dropped the price on two different products for … Read More Here
While I was out in Salt Lake City last week I certainly wasn’t confined to a convention center full of tents and activity trackers. Nope, I got out and saw the world. Or…at least a little snippet of it. Here’s … Read More Here
It’s been a busy week at Outdoor Retailer (Summer edition), albeit slightly less frenzied for me than something like Eurobike or Interbike. That’s mostly because there’s just less swim/bike/run-focus at Outdoor Retailer for me to track down, and instead far … Read More Here
While no doubt everyone associates Epson with printers, the company was at Outdoor Retailer and there was clearly no printer in sight. Instead the team of very fit looking engineers was demonstrating the first two fitness devices they’re bringing to … Read More Here
Well known bike light maker Knog was demonstrating their newest bike light at Outdoor Retailer this week – the Qudos. This new light is relevant around these parts as it combines onto a single mount both a bike light and … Read More Here