I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with the link and 10% off everything coupon below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @emlynsimpson I don't expect a direct replacement of the Edge 810 in the near future. #, 6 hours ago
- @jheath Hmm...I have absolutely no idea. I'll go with millions. :) #, 8 hours ago
- @cbrookze Glad I could help! #, 8 hours ago
- Interesting tidbit of the day: Today I posted my 1,700th post. Don't worry, I'm not stopping. Post 1,701 comes up in 4 hours and 30 mins. #, 8 hours ago
- @rbuike Nah, nothing. All quiet there. #, 13 hours ago
- The Past Week in Review: From a cycling pizza slicer, to $100 off the Edge 810, to new Vector firmware/features: http://t.co/eS93S3pkYt #, 15 hours ago
- @djisti At present I don't take often do guest posts, but I do take input from folks via the comments. Challenge is validation of details. #, 19 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (2013 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
With the rise of connected devices that automatically upload your rides and runs upon completion to Garmin Connect, there’s been a corresponding rise in usage of 3rd party sites that synchronize that data to other training log platforms such as … Read More Here
Congrats! So you’ve just unboxed a new GPS watch/device? Good deal, here’s how you can get started in understanding how best to take advantage of your newfound toy. Of course, unlike that dessert you’ll eat later on tonight (or, perhaps, … Read More Here
Finally, home. After over 250,000 miles of travelling this year – almost all for work – I took my last flight this year and go onto enjoying some time back at home. I was (back) in Mexico for a few … Read More Here
When Garmin announced the VIRB action camera late this past summer, it represented further expansion into the outdoor market, due to it’s significant product tie-ins with other Garmin products. Most notable however, is that they’re squaring off directly against the … Read More Here
Remember last summer when I did a product review of the safer swimmer swim buoy? It’s the swim buoy that keeps you from getting run over by wandering boats while out on openwater swims. It also gives you a dry … Read More Here
Yesterday, Garmin quietly rolled out a ‘beta’ update to their Fenix & Tactix lineup, which are their watches previously/primarily aimed at ultra-runners and those wanting hiking/navigational capabilities. For Garmin, firmware updates – let alone beta ones, rarely have massive new … Read More Here
I wasn’t exactly ignoring writing this race report. Not entirely anyway. It’s of course a bit hard to ignore such a downer of a race result, as well as to ignore the 18.4 requests per day via three social media … Read More Here
After my Ukrainian foray ended early Friday morning (a painful 5:55AM to be exact), I caught a flight to Frankfurt and then onto Zurich, touching down late-morning. From there I’d drive 75 minutes into the alps where I was headed … Read More Here
Updated as of Dec 10th 8:10AM Eastern NOTE: At this point all these deals are expired! Hope you enjoyed! Perhaps one of the most anticipated shopping days of the year – at least for US folks, but these days many … Read More Here
The company behind the platform: Despite most Internet apps running small operations, MapMyFitness is hardly small from an employee standpoint. As of Tuesday it counted 101 employees, with 31 employees in Denver, and another 70 employees at its headquarters in … Read More Here