I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
Wanna support DCR?
You'll support the site, and get ad-free DCR! Plus, you'll be more awesome. Click above for all the details.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10MHD) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
The DC RAINMAKER PODCAST
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @halfrust @frank1e @UKCycleChat @UkTriChat @UKRunChat I think you may be able to grab from Garmin device (the route file), then import in. #, 11 hours ago
- @jmwhelan Yes, legit. I've tried it at various points during development. They're working to get me a current-gen unit in next few days. #, 11 hours ago
- And 24 hours later (plus two 90 minute round trips to the airport), I have my bag. Complete loss of a day. https://t.co/JxDb1Yz0tj #, 16 hours ago
- @finepl Yeah, problem with secondary carryon is I already had various other equipment (drones, camera gear, etc..). Something had to give. #, 19 hours ago
- @finepl Yeah, but doesn't really help for bike shoes, bike helmet, bike pump, bike clothes, etc.. #, 19 hours ago
- @Pryzbylewski I have not yet. We're chatting about getting a unit in my hands shortly. #, 21 hours ago
- Brim Brothers just launched sales for their Zone power meter, delivery in 3 months. Starts at 390EUR (~$441USD): https://t.co/wVzy79D6UJ #, 21 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Winter 2015-2016 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2015 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) 2015 list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
This past spring, as part of a bunch of announcements, PowerTap announced their C1 chainring power meter. This announcement was coupled with that of the PowerTap P1 pedals, all of which complement their existing PowerTap G3 hub based power meter. … Read More Here
Connected scales are all the rage these days. And for good reason – they make it easy to log your weight. More importantly though, they make it hard to pretend nothing happened. So as you rolled out of bed this … Read More Here
Black Friday Sales Kickoff: $100 off Fenix3, Withings Scales from $69, and more (Update: +Suunto Ambit3!)
Well then, that’s getting things off to a bang. A crap-top of sales just launched today and late last night. Below is but a snippet of just some of the launched sales this morning – the rest I’ve put into … Read More Here
It’s been almost exactly a month since Garmin announced their lineup of fall running watches, including three new units: The Forerunner 230, 235, and 630. Each of those units replacing previous iterations of the FR220, 225, and 620. The FR230 … Read More Here
Wahoo KICKR’s Sale: Some readers have brought to my attention the reality that my initial deal post two weeks ago didn’t actually include the Wahoo KICKR or KICKR SNAP 20% off sale, and as such, a large portion of readers probably … Read More Here
People always talk about running XC (cross country) in school, but today, I truly ran cross-country. I crossed an international border over and over again as part of my hill repeats. Here, let me explain. The Girl and I are … Read More Here
You’ll remember last week when I posted about the state of the LIMITS power meter that was crowd-funded via Indiegogo. I expressed extreme skepticism at their ability to deliver a project next month (as soon as 12 days away), given their … Read More Here
I must confess something on behalf of the entire sports tech industry: Someone thought that Friday the 13th meant Black Friday. And thus instead of Black Friday deals starting two weeks from now as normal, they’re actually starting now. Yes, … Read More Here
It’s been a few months since Garmin introduced the HRM-TRI & HRM-SWIM, which record heart rate data while you’re swimming. They started shipping the units back in mid-August, and through some recent travels in September & October I’ve finally gotten … Read More Here