I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10MHD) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
The DC RAINMAKER PODCAST
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- Just as an FYI: Still working on last pile of Eurobike posts, mostly for things that nobody else has covered. Need a few more hours in day! #, 9 hours ago
- @Marcodj Hmm, hard to say, but I wouldn't think so. #, 9 hours ago
- @badgermcbadger Indeed... #, 9 hours ago
- @KeithWakeham Nope, at least not display. #, 10 hours ago
- Interesting tidbit in the ANT+ Symposium newsletter sent out today, about upcoming Garmin Connect IQ announcements. http://t.co/DuvHfuee7T #, 10 hours ago
- @kasperbp Just here for some regular work meetings (day job). #, 10 hours ago
- RT @aface1: Starting to feel like @dcrainmakerblog http://t.co/QG9k2xv5cB #, 11 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Winter 2014-2015 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2015 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) 2015 list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Author Archives: DC Rainmaker
There are few training tasks worse than riding alone on a trainer in a dark basement or within sketchy closet. It’s just you, your bike, and the wall ahead of you with 4 paint marks that you still haven’t fixed two … Read More Here
Well then, that escalated quickly. From $250 GPS watch to $1,200 power meter…all in the span of one minute. Boom! You saw my review on these puppies yesterday, and it’s definitely all good. Now you can not only ride around … Read More Here
Think small and mighty. Like mighty mouse on EPO (or synthetic testosterone as the cool kids are doing this week). But legal instead. So, like Nutella and bananas. That’s what the M450 is like: Incredibly powerful yet super small. It’s … Read More Here
Too many BBQ’s this summer? Too many Slushies? First off – no, that’s impossible. Trust me, from the land that lacks both good slow cooked BBQ and Slushies I reject that claim outright. You can never have too much BBQ … Read More Here
What, you thought we’d limit this to things that are currently shipping? Nah, I’m about the future here! Even if the future is only a week or two away. The FR920XT is probably without question the most beloved triathlon watch … Read More Here
So…are you ready to rumble? Or perhaps at least fake it for the camera? Well then – I’ve got the giveaway for you: The GoPro Hero4 Silver. It’s now my go-to action cam that I grab anytime I’m looking to … Read More Here
Over the last few weeks the folks at both Strava and TrainingPeaks have been sending me occasional (or daily in some cases) updates of each file upload to their respective services for all riders in the Tour de France that … Read More Here
As is always the case, yesterday is an epic day for cycling fans in Paris. I went for the trifecta of craziness, and tried to jam it all in. Here’s a look at my (semi-exhausting) day. Riding the final stage: … Read More Here
Over the last week or so there’s been substantial talk about power meter data in the Tour de France, specifically around scenarios of data snooping, data accuracy, data estimation, and data tampering. For the most part, the mainstream cycling media … Read More Here
Today Garmin introduced two new heart rate straps that are designed to capture your heart rate data while you swim. This move puts them roughly on parity with offerings that competitors Suunto and Polar already have for recording heart rate … Read More Here
Today GoPro has introduced its tiniest camera to date, the Hero4 Session. This small cube-like camera shoots up to 1440p footage (that’s a little above your standard 1080p HD), as well as works with the existing GoPro mount lineup. Most … Read More Here
Note: As of August 25th, 2015 Garmin has now released firmware updates for the Edge 510, Edge 810, and Edge 1000. You can use Garmin Express (desktop app) or the Garmin Webupdater (also desktop app) to install these. In addition … Read More Here