I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10WHP) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- RT @alphamantis: Our TAS telemetry system is being use to live-track @thejensie's aero drag for his hour record attempt! #findyouraero http://t.co/zQDJM6fgXu #, 7 mins ago
- @KoenMiseur Added Bio passport two weeks ago, which forestalls non-Pro Tour riders. Bio Passport is good, but rules should be pub ahead. #, 19 mins ago
- @KoenMiseur Measurements, yes, but not actual equipment. Fascinating thread on Wattage group about it. #, 21 mins ago
- RT @CoachTimHall: As you watch the #HourRecord, bone up on its convoluted history by reading this from @SSbike @cyclingtips http://t.co/6yCd6YeAcq #, 22 mins ago
- @KoenMiseur And rider requirements changed midstream about 2 weeks ago, without notice to others that had planned to attempt. #, 26 mins ago
- @KoenMiseur Actually, the bike rules aren't. There's no exact list of permitted equipment. One has to send in bike for approval. #, 26 mins ago
- Next 1hr will be impressive, but keep in mind many of the rider/equipment rules aren't publicly published. Designed as PR show for Trek/UCI. #, 38 mins ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Summer 2014 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Author Archives: DC Rainmaker
Hope everyone is preparing for a good weekend ahead (or, for you in Australia and the Middle East, already having a good weekend)! Just a super-quick heads up that Garmin has temporarily dropped the price on two different products for … Read More Here
While I was out in Salt Lake City last week I certainly wasn’t confined to a convention center full of tents and activity trackers. Nope, I got out and saw the world. Or…at least a little snippet of it. Here’s … Read More Here
It’s been a busy week at Outdoor Retailer (Summer edition), albeit slightly less frenzied for me than something like Eurobike or Interbike. That’s mostly because there’s just less swim/bike/run-focus at Outdoor Retailer for me to track down, and instead far … Read More Here
While no doubt everyone associates Epson with printers, the company was at Outdoor Retailer and there was clearly no printer in sight. Instead the team of very fit looking engineers was demonstrating the first two fitness devices they’re bringing to … Read More Here
Well known bike light maker Knog was demonstrating their newest bike light at Outdoor Retailer this week – the Qudos. This new light is relevant around these parts as it combines onto a single mount both a bike light and … Read More Here
Earlier this morning a relatively unknown company – Watteam – came out of the woodwork and announced an upcoming power meter – PowerBeat. While announcements of power meters this time of year aren’t unheard of, what is causing some ripples … Read More Here
Earlier today I covered Timex’s just announced flagship running watch – the Timex One GPS+, which contains everything from music storage to 3G connectivity and live tracking. However, that wasn’t the only unit Timex announced today. They also released three … Read More Here
Today at Outdoor Retailer Timex has announced a slew of new products into the fitness and outdoor market. The four new products range from $99 to $399, and cover everything from basic GPS functionality to a high-end integrated live tracking … Read More Here
Today, Strava along with MapMyFitness and Endomondo have announced automatic sync with Garmin Connect. This means that your activities will now (or soon in some cases) automatically show up on those three platforms, should you choose to enable it. Some … Read More Here
It’s now August, and as a result so begins a sweep of various sports and fitness conventions and conferences. Each of these conventions serves a slightly different audience, and as a result – draws a slightly different group of exhibitors. So … Read More Here
Earlier this year a significant announcement was made that there would be a women’s race at the Tour de France. It wouldn’t be the entirety of the Grand Tour, nor even a multiday event – but – it would be a … Read More Here
A few days ago the Shimano CM-1000 action cam that I bought finally came in. After getting some hands-on time with the unit I wanted to give some initial impressions and thoughts. The camera is unique in that it connects … Read More Here