I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with the link and 10% off everything coupon below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @Ironman_JR FR10 is great for beginner, but FR220 allows a bit longer term growth. #, 6 hours ago
- RT @TriMagJene: Sorry race photography sites, there is no one on my list who wants a horrendous photo of me racing for Christmas, even at a… #, 8 hours ago
- RT @bikehugger: A rum bar bike! More photos on G+ http://t.co/x4YIR2uoQA http://t.co/XW2n9bIhna #, 10 hours ago
- @Ironman_JR Start here: http://t.co/B75yj7RKwi But check out the FR10. #, 10 hours ago
- @jmcdannald If you value the Bluetooth Connectivity features and workout/interval customization, then yes. Otherwise, no. #, 12 hours ago
- @ajmooseman No, it doesn't convert that way. #, 13 hours ago
- @off242 Ahh, sorry, gotchya. #, 14 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (2013 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Author Archives: Rainmaker
Time for a photo of the day. It’s been a while, and Friday seems like the perfect time for it! Tonight I went out for a 10-mile run. It was a simple affair: 5 miles at a Z2 heart rate, … Read More Here
Last week Adidas announced their first foray into the GPS device world with their Adidas Smart Run GPS watch. While this may be the first physical GPS unit for the company, they’ve actually been fairly involved in the sport tracking … Read More Here
I want to start off by first noting just how rare it is that I write an entire post specifically about a single app. I could probably count the number of times I’ve done that in 6 years on one … Read More Here
ANT+ being added to all recent and new Samsung mobile devices: Probably the single biggest bit of news that came out of the ANT+ Symposium last week was Samsung’s announcement that they’ll be releasing ANT+ to all S4 devices in … Read More Here
The night before arriving at the home of CycleOps I looked up the address on Google using Streetview, simply to know what I’d be looking for the next morning as I made my way over. But after the resultant imagery … Read More Here
******[Update: Please note this deal is now expired!]****** As I promised almost exactly one year ago when I announced the Clever Training partnership, I’d only make a full-on post about something deal-related when it was a massive deal. Thus this … Read More Here
Over the past few weeks as I’ve been talking to folks in the industry a point that keeps coming up is whether or not folks care that Bluetooth Sensors (i.e. HR straps, cycling Speed/Cadence sensors, etc…) can’t be concurrently paired … Read More Here
With all of my 2013 Interbike product-related posts now completed, I figured it’d be fun to briefly look at some of the booth competitions that were found on the show floor as I wandered around. Of course, this is really … Read More Here
Interbike News That Didn’t Fit: Tacx iPad App, iBike, BikeSpike, Pioneer, Garmin FR220/FR620 notes, and more!
As I wander around the show floor there’s plenty of little things that don’t fit and/or really have enough content to create a full post from. Usually little snippets of information I found interesting, and/or you requested more information about. … Read More Here
Over the last week many of you asked me to look into Elite’s new Turbo Muin trainer, which was just announced by the Italian cycling company. So I did just that, thus, let’s dive right into things. The 17kg (37.4lbs) … Read More Here