I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10JKW) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- I share a short unboxing video I shot earlier today of the 4iiii Precision power meter. April Fools tis not: https://t.co/WB7ZThAxxZ #, 4 hours ago
- @JDP649 That's the way I roll. It's like redundancy. #, 9 hours ago
- Yup, it exists. Production unit. First ride in under a few hours (my bike mechanic skills willing...). http://t.co/SdOcifJ2Fj #, 10 hours ago
- RT @Challenge_Amer: One time, in South Carolina...@mbkessler raced 20+ miles with a broken saddle! #nojoke #gumption http://t.co/dS9wkjDzZo #, 11 hours ago
- RT @weiland: @wahoofitness Can't wait for the @dcrainmakerblog review, on 2nd thought no action photos Ray. #, 13 hours ago
- RT @wahoofitness: Introducing the Wahoo Fitness PLUGGR! http://t.co/lsOIGmRwu4 #AprilFools #, 13 hours ago
- In a complete freak incident sorta related to @TheRealStarky - I just ran over a rooster. Seriously. #BadOmen? http://t.co/gOQWRIxe49 #, Mar 31
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Winter 2014-2015 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Author Archives: DC Rainmaker
With Valentine’s Day landing this past weekend, I figured it was the perfect time to give something away. Except, instead of just one something, I went for a double: Two somethings! The winner could choose two gadgets from Clever Training, … Read More Here
When the Garmin FR620 first came out about 18 months ago, it brought with it the Garmin HRM-RUN strap. That strap added what Garmin called ‘Running Dynamics’ data, which consisted of a few different running related metrics. At the time, … Read More Here
Yesterday GoPro pushed out updates for their Hero4 lineup of cameras (the Hero4 Black and Hero4 Silver). These firmware updates, while announced back in January at CES, edge GoPro further ahead of competitors in certain categories, while bringing them up … Read More Here
A bit of background: Apparently someone at Under Armour had a bit of spare cash lying around today, and decided to go on a bit of a pre-Valentine’s Day spending spree. Today, they bought not just MyFitnessPal, but also Endomondo. … Read More Here
There’s been a ton of interest as of late in using drones within sports. This interest comes from many different angles. First is the more traditional approach of simply using the unmanned aerial vehicle as a platform for videography and … Read More Here
This past weekend I spent three days using the Zeal HD2 goggles. These goggles have a built-in action camera in the upper edge of them, making them potentially perfect for recording your slope adventures. It includes both photo and video … Read More Here
Since Polar announced the V800 triathlon watch at CES 2014 (just over a year ago), there’s been a steady stream of firmware updates to the unit increasing functionality of the multisport watch. At the same time, there have also been a … Read More Here
In December a Boulder based company with only a handful of employees announced that they had put together a running power meter. They’d taken the same concepts from the cycling world, but moved it into the running world. In doing … Read More Here
The ability to stream in real time (live) video footage from action cams remains a bit of the holy grail of sports action. Today, 99.99% of what you see on TV is done via broadcast quality cameras and equipment, with … Read More Here
Some of you might remember last year my post on the Fly6 rear-facing bike camera and light. This unit was a combination of a rear bike light along with a rear mounted camera. The camera wasn’t so much a GoPro … Read More Here
This morning Garmin has announced the acquisition of iKubu. Of course, nobody knows the name iKubu, but many of you likely remember them by their product name – Backtracker. I took a look at this product back in July during … Read More Here
Over the weekend I held a rather unique giveaway where I asked folks to guess how many steps I walked at CES from Sunday till Monday. Closest person was the winner, simple as that! The most accurate answer then got … Read More Here
Last week at CES Sony announced their latest action cam, the Sony FDR-X1000V, which is capable of shooting 4K video. They also updated their HDR-AS camera line with a new 200V version (HDR-AS200V). These came as a surprise to approximately … Read More Here
Mio was on-hand at CES showing off both their recently announced devices from this past fall (Mio Fuse and Mio Velo), as well as demoing their just announced device: The Mio Alpha2. The Mio Alpha2 builds upon the features found … Read More Here