57 responses

1. Adam
    January 25, 2016

I’m looking forward to the Index review. Reading the Garmin Forums makes it seem like the usual apocalyptic Garmin product launch, but it’d be interesting to hear your thoughts!

Is there any news on whether Garmin are actually working on syncing that data with other services e.g. pushing the weight data to Training Peaks?

January 25, 2016

Regrettably I haven’t heard anything about other platform support yet. Everything really kinda comes down to whether or not you solely use Garmin Connect.

• Jin Briafield
      January 25, 2016

They don’t even seem able to send the data to their own devices for some reason. Don’t know why you have to manually tell Connect to send any updated weights to the watch, seems crazy!

They really ought to sort this out. I bet the RHR doesn’t update automatically either in the new Fenix 3 HR…

January 25, 2016

Actually, some of the more recent ones do now update weight. For example, I know the Vivosmart HR does. And I’m pretty sure the FR235 did too (which would mean the FR230/630 do). I’ll poke around.

I’m not sure what you mean though on RHR not updating?

• Jon Briafield
      January 25, 2016

Just wondering whether the training zones are automatically adjusted based on RHR data should it vary at all. Thinking in principle rather than any great expectation of huge changes.

I have a Fenix 3 which doesn’t update for weight variation, can’t see why it shouldn’t, my Ambit 2 used to do it.

• ian r.
      January 25, 2016

I just got my scale (finally in UK !!) and as Ray said out of the box, synced in fine within a minute or so and the readings received.

Now I do wonder about the synching aspect and esp to Training Peaks as obviously rides do now and would be useful for my coach to see them (update manually of course). Training Peaks unlike other is not really a direct competition as aimed at a different market.

2. Undortok
    January 25, 2016

Ray, you are living in europe now, please be so kind and post all your workouts and info not in that stupid american miles/per hour, but km/ :) Thanks.

January 25, 2016

Note that I didn’t actually post any miles/workout stats in text in the post.

A pictured showed how far I ran on the watch itself. I think photoshopping the watch is going a wee bit too far.

• Tim Dolan
      January 25, 2016

Britain is in Europe and we use miles, which are originally an English measurement. 😉

• EB
      January 25, 2016

I am I’m Britain too. Other than for driving most people I know use km.

I did use minutes per mile for running in the 80s and part of the 90s.

Meters are also a standard SI unit and used world-wide.

Other than old people I don’t think it is helpful to make out the British are so backward.

That said I wouldn’t complain about Ray thinking in Miles, as that was what he grew up with. It’s not like he’s converting the money into Shillings and pence.

• Phil A
      January 25, 2016

You have to remember that inherently for most things people do not post they are happy they post when they are annoyed or having trouble with things, so forums will usually be the annoyed people not the happy people.

• Gareth Jones
      January 27, 2016

If you’re unhappy with differing units, then check this Strava thread link to strava.zendesk.com – which has been going for over 2 years – and Strava still won’t display units in a flexible manner (which should be a simple issues, as many posters point out) to suit the international community.

The units you use are usually very personal. I’m in the UK, and drive in mph, but ride in km/h (a hangover from lots of cycling in France, watching list of cycling and many of the off road races here are measured in km) – though I can mentally convert between them reasonably quickly and accurately.

3. june
    January 25, 2016

as Ray said in one of his recent videoed presentations, Garmin product launches are normally pretty good. so i’m not sure why you think they are apocalyptic.

• Happy Runner
      January 25, 2016

I haven’t seen that video but am amazed to read that. Maybe it’s just that people with problems are the ones who take to the forums, but it seem like Garmin has problems with firmware from launch to product obsolence. Definitely agree with Adam that many early adopters of the scale had massive setup problems.

January 25, 2016

I believe my comment was more about how a company launched products from a media standpoint, not so much a consumer perspective (since i believe your referring to my Symmposium season on ‘How to launch a product’).

I’d agree some folks had early scale setup issues (including myself in beta). However in doing setup now it was one of the fastest setups I’ve ever done one a Garmin device.

4. Edoardo

Hi Ray!
    I am happy to see that, even of you live in Paris, you are smart enough to refer to Italian books for fine cuisine! :-)

Ciao!

5. Dave Lusty
    January 25, 2016

My first thought looking at the Suunto pic was how much more readable and clear it is than my Fenix. Then I realised it’s because your arm isn’t bouncing around as you run – looking at it in the office my Fenix looks just as clear :)

January 25, 2016

Yeah, both units are easy to see/read.

6. Doogie
    January 25, 2016

I’m done waiting and it’s your fault! For a couple of years, I’ve been eyeballing a pasta roller at my local kitchen shop (Kafers for those US folks in Germany).

I’ve always thought it an unnecessary cost…not any more. I’m rolling (no pun intended) out this week and getting my pasta making on!

7. m9inger
    January 25, 2016

I’m quite familiar with the boxing up process of the Garmin Index scale…I boxed mine up several times after giving up on getting it to sync with my wifi. I was excited about this smart scale and couldn’t wait to get one but the frustration of what should have been a simple setup made me return it. I’m looking forward to your full write up and the comments that follow.

January 25, 2016

How long ago was that? I know things were ugly the first few weeks, but in looking through the forums, I’m only seeing a single setup complaint this month. I was impressed with how clean it was (using iOS device anyway), compared to when I first attempted setup just prior to launch.

• m9inger
      January 26, 2016

I just got the scale for Christmas. I was using iOS for the setup but the bluetooth connection seemed flaky, The phone would go into this random bluetooth icon blinking loop and the scale would get hung up with the wrench on the screen. Also the wifi icon on the scale had an “X” beside it and never would connect up. I read some blogs about it and most of the comments talked about having to change the security settings on my router, something I’m not willing to do especially because all my other Garmin devices have connected without issue.

8. Chris
    January 25, 2016

The idea of cooking sounds quite appealing when sitting here before my workday looking at your photos… but once it comes down to it I’m just too damn lazy to learn to cook like you!

9. Tim
    January 25, 2016

Slightly off topic, but you mentioned Powertap :)

Any Powertap G3 Dual BLE/ANT cap update?

Hoping for a few things:
    -it is not dead
    -they have decided the price is, at most $99, hopefully close to $50.

I noticed the BLE cap on Clever is now $49, that’s a solid price if they can get the dual in that range.

January 25, 2016

Not dead. In fact, it’s the only thing that’s alive now. 😉

Back in Jan 1st, PT shifted to doing all dual ANT+/BLE caps for all PT hubs going out the door (and thus, all PT products in total).. I don’t see the dual ones showing as being available by themselves, I’ll ask why (I’m sure it’s just a listing thing).

Fwiw – the beta/prototype unit I’ve been testing since last spring has rocked. Zero issues. So your post serves has a handy reminder for me to find out how to buy a dual one and send that test unit back…

10. Brian
    January 25, 2016

Hi Ray – Great choice of cookbooks! My girlfriend actually works as a cook at Osteria Mozza – Nancy Silverton is her Chef and Hero! She has brought home that exact ravioli pasta before and I can tell you that your pasta looks just as good as the pasta at the restaurant! If you’re ever in LA she says she would totally welcome you at the restaurant!

Lucky duck you are!

I’ve still gotta get better at getting air out of the ravioli, as that would reduce the wrinkles a bit more. And I was too lazy to walk down the street the Studio, as somehow our ravioli cutter ended up down there. But, they still tasted great!

(Now booking tickets to LA…)

11. zitaSport

about GARMIN BUG in PowerTap P1…. complicated relationship
    link to blog.zitasport.com
    News about this?

January 25, 2016

Have you double-checked your P1 firmware? The Garmin/P1 power spike bug was fixed back in October. I haven’t heard of a single instance of it occurring since then.

• zitaSport
      January 26, 2016

Garmin EDGE 520 version: 2.10
      PowerTap P1 version: 22.026

12. Lisa
    January 25, 2016

It seems like you had the most productive of weekends! And fun, too. I hope your meetings during the Sunday ISPO were as satisfying as the seemingly delicious dishes you made!

13. Jill
    January 25, 2016

I shouldn’t heave read this post this close to lunch.
    Your dinner looks awesome!

14. Gabe
    January 25, 2016

Ray – I’d be 20 lbs overweight being around all the delicious food youre always around :)

Regarding the scale – the Myfitnesspal integration has been broken for weeks. Myfitnesspal team is aware and working on it.

Any word from Garmin if they will update the firmware to allow for multiple weights per day?

Also have you noticed how sensitive your scale is? It turns on when i enter the bathroom just from the floor movement.

• ian r.
      January 25, 2016

yep same here as well but boxed in and fine ha ha !

15. Ivan
    January 25, 2016

will joule gps display those cycling dynamics? or…

16. JG
    January 25, 2016

Can’t believe you made the egg/ricotta ravioli. Is it a culinary trend right now? I was planning to make a first attempt at it yesterday, but our two hour mountain bike ride turned into a four hour ride with multiple bonks.

Yours looks really tasty!

January 25, 2016

I’m not sure if it’s a general culinary trend to be adding egg yolks to things – but it’s certainly become very popular here in Paris. But that’s also a bit of a French (and Italian) thing too.

17. Jackson

What watch is the Girl wearing above? Food Looks great BTW

January 25, 2016

The Pebble Time Round. She likes it (and says she is working on a review).

18. Phil A
    January 25, 2016

I could supply you a template copy if you wanted, but I found One Note is awesome to use as a cookbook. Obviously if going for something new you would look through the real thing, but when you find something that you like or use regularly then it is a great place to store them to find quickly.

19. Mathieu D.

Hi Ray,

any recommendation for an athlete friendly cookbook?

• Anonymous Coward
      January 25, 2016

If VeloPress prints it, you’d probably want to buy it. Like The Feed Zone Cookbook. After that, it’s a matter of diet preference: paleo, vegan, …, and their respective “Diet X for Athletes” cookbooks. Amazon reviews probably have a broader sample base to gauge your interest against.

January 26, 2016

Yup, I’d agree with that book. I’ve got it and found the recipes are pretty good. Book here: link to amazon.com

• Phil A
      January 26, 2016

It is not really a cookbook, but it does have a bunch of recipies. I have only tried a couple, but the book “Training Food” ISBN=9781848992665. I think the information it provides was pretty decent also.

20. Jim Toye
    January 25, 2016

Ray … Regarding the Index scale. I ordered and received mine a few weeks ago. There were no issues syncing and it was working fine, then I quickly realized that only the most current weight etc. could be permanently recorded in Garmin connect on any one day. Each previous reading gets overridden and lost.
    I contacted Garmin to check if there was a setting I was missing explaining that I’d like to record pre / post work out weights / water content etc (for same day) and they confirmed that the scale would only maintain the most recent data point. I sent it back the next day :(

21. Scott
    January 25, 2016

Back to the Powertap advanced metrics…

Would I be correct in assuming that they would only be available if using the Joule to record? Guessing they would NOT be available via a Garmin Edge.

…And any mention of releasing PowerTap Mobile for Android?

January 26, 2016

It would definitely not be available on the Edge (that’s more of a Garmin restriction at this point, the rest of the industry would be happy to transmit in a standard, but Garmin has locked it down).

Right now the focus is on the app via BT, though I’ve just sent a note asking for clarification on how it works with the Joule.

As for PT Mobile for Android, they’re essentially going to split a bit. They know the lack of Android firmware updater sucks, so they’re going to stuff that functionality into the CycleOps Virtual Training App on Windows, so that you can get the update done (as rare as they are). No subscription will be required to use that functionality. From there they’ll figure out how the Android piece will work longer term. There really isn’t any useful functionality within the iOS app beyond the FW update, imho. Obviously, once it collects advanced metrics…that’s a different story.

• Scott
      January 26, 2016

Thanks Ray. Suspected as much about the Garmin. Don’t imagine there would be any way to fudge the new metrics via ConnectIQ.

Holding out hope for a fully-featured Android app. Especially if PT is focusing on the functionality via Bluetooth.

22. Angus
    January 26, 2016

I see you have one of those rare John Grisham cookbooks 😉

23. John S.
    January 26, 2016

If I were in your shoes, I would ask to have my B sample tested before accepting the cookbook ban.

24. David
    January 26, 2016

I just noticed that your “re-unboxing” of the Garmin Index still didn’t include a picture of the box.

25. szyMarek
    January 27, 2016

Nice Pebble Girl :)

26. Gareth Jones
    January 27, 2016

The practising photographers made me grin. I used to run a training course for Nikon, and we used to do a similar exercise on the side of the road. The driver reactions were interesting, varying from waving through the windscreen (various gestures!), slowing down to the speed limit, and stopping and querying what was going on, and once or twice threatening that we couldn’t take pictures of their car/van/truck – which in the UK you can…

27. Edwin
    January 28, 2016

This video will show you gps-free gadgets to cut minutes off your ravioli-making race times:

link to youtube.com

January 28, 2016

I believe somewhere I actually have the Kitchenaid Ravioli maker (same as this, just fits on Kitchenaid). And I believe the last time I tried it years ago, a small kitchen almost died.

28. Daniel
    January 28, 2016

What are those pie looking things on the rack? It was the photo above the poster store.

29. Lindsay Mauldin
    February 7, 2016

Fail… I was in Munich the exact time you were. And, that would explain why there were pretty much no cars to rent in munich :)