24 responses

1. Harmless Harm
    August 28, 2013

Thanks Ray,

You are talking powertap BT smart, will their soon be head unit out from them (joule_x), supporting BT smart?
    If so they could have an edge.

2. RoadRunner
    August 28, 2013

Ray, thanks for the super fast write up. It is good that they are making progress on this, but they are really behind the eight ball now. I think next year is too late. With the Garmin Vector out there the first mover advantage the Keo Power once had as the first pedal based power meter on the market is now gone. I think Look are being let down by Polar who are fast going the way of Nokia (remember when everyone once had a nokia cell phone?). Polar’s head units are reliable and display basic data well enough, but they are years behind where the rest of the market is now. Innovate or die is a business adage which is apt for Polar.

• Mark Spencer
      September 8, 2013

I have been using the LOOK KEO POLAR POWER pedals for 12 months ,very unhappy with it. Head Unit Polar CS600x with limited functions is like something out of the dark ages.No ANT with other units. The set up of the pedals from bike to bike is a mission!Both LOOK pedals wear plates fell off for no reason after 4 months of use,the right pedal polar sensor scrapes the chain when on the 53×11.Software is so lmited I had to purchase Training peaks WKO.

The back-up from Polar and Look is none at all.No response to my email I sent stating the faulty power readings of late.
      Would I spend that AMOUNT of monies on this system again if I had done more indepth research? No WAYS.Costly mistake indeed.

3. Chris
    August 28, 2013

So did powertap sneak one in on you? I thought it was odd that powertap would release an app that connected to Bluetooth sensors without a Bluetooth wheel set. Is there more information on these somewhere?

• Rainmaker
      August 28, 2013

There’s more on the PT BT wheelset…I’m just writing it up as we speak. 😉

One post (foot) in front of the other.

4. Rich Wharton
    August 29, 2013

Still no comments from them about their memory capacity? It’s so… 90’s.

• Rainmaker
      August 29, 2013

Well, these guys wouldn’t comment on that since it’s really more of a Polar thing. This was with the Look guys.

5. Sean
    August 29, 2013

Hi Ray, fantastic newsfeed from the floor of Eurobikes, thank you.

A quick question regarding the upgrade package, are Look / Polar going to replace the pods for those people who bought the first generation pedal system?

• Rainmaker
      August 29, 2013

For an undetermined fee, yes.

6. Markus
    August 30, 2013

Very disappointing to see that there is no other new stuff vom Polar, right?!?
    No updates on watches or bike computers? Already winter sleep in Finland?

…I love my RCX5 but I’m afraid of the Nokia-way

• Rainmaker
      August 30, 2013

No, Polar wasn’t at Eurobike. They do plan however to be at Interbike in two weeks.

7. Phil Barnes
    August 30, 2013

should have grasped the nettle and gone Ant+

8. Lukman
    September 3, 2013

They should have just offer the upgrade to ANT+ standard…. when do they ever learn…?

9. Marko
    September 17, 2013

Anything new about Look Keo Power at Interbike?

• Rainmaker
      September 17, 2013

There wouldn’t be actually. I’ll certainly double-check if they’ve commenced field testing, but otherwise we won’t expect to hear anything until next year beyond what’s seen above.

• RoadRunner
      September 17, 2013

Ray, would be good if you could hit up the Polar folks at interbike to determine if they are doing a total revamp of their cycling headunits with BTLE, and the timing for this. I would guess that they would be seeking to do this at the same time as the BTLE update for the Keo Power, as a bluetooth enabled smart phone won’t be much chop on the handlebars…. It would be interesting to hear from them as to why it has taken so darn long – they must realise they are years behind their competitors in this segment…

• Rainmaker
      September 21, 2013

They do plan to, but obviously aren’t talking about it until announcement time.

10. Thomas Dineen
    February 23, 2014

HI DCR,

so maybe you can help me better understand the technical benefits of preventing knee injuries by having a meter for:
    “Left / Right Power Distribution”

I don’t understand that this can help one’s knee health by preventing possible tendonitis… as per LOOK’s stated benefits on their website.

I too have knee issues, but the shims under my cleats are helping, but if this meter also helps prevent injury to knees, I’m in..

Again, thank you for your efforts DCR, keep up the good writing.
    Tom

• Rainmaker
      February 23, 2014

There’s honestly absolutely nothing it’ll do for prevention. If Look is saying that, that’s pretty poor of them because there’s zero evidence to support it (there’s not even a study on it).

There some studies on what left/right balance looks like, but honestly not much current nor comprehensive – it’s an area that’s very much uncharted territory, and within the last year as more units have come on the market showing such metrics, the data come back is all over the place – very few clear trends. And if you come across anyone saying the goal should be 50/50 balance, then I’d run fast away from them – because they’re not well informed.

11. Mathieu
    June 27, 2014

“The Bluetooth Smart update is being targeted for March or April of next year (2014).”

April is a good time. It thus should be ready for the summer season…
    or not.

• Rainmaker
      June 27, 2014

They’re currently targeting August.

12. Flo
    August 20, 2014

any time soon?!?!

• Ray Maker
      August 20, 2014

I suspect we’ll get an update next week at Eurobike.

13. Adrian
    January 6, 2015

So if I have a garmin 510 head piece, there is no workaround to get the data from the pedals to the headpiece? Or if I have the 920xt? Any work arounds?