The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
DCRainmaker.com posts this past week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page of DCRainmaker.com this week.
Sunday: Week in Review–October 21st, 2012
Monday: The Barcelona Runaround
Tuesday: Hands on with the Revolights system
Thursday: A look at the new Polar Beat Bluetooth Smart app
Friday: Reminder and tips- The triathlon registration season is upon us
Stuff that I found interesting around the interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet:
1) Road Party Outtakes: You saw the awesome road bike video a few weeks ago, here’s all the outtakes:
2) A look at how age group doping hurts: Here’s a take on things from the head of the Gran Fondo NY, and what it meant when some of their age group racers were found doping.
3) Lolo Jones tries out for US Bobsled Team: And might actually make it. Didn’t see this one coming (though, The Girl tells me that sprinters turning into bobsled folks is actually quite common).
4) The most brilliant bridge and fitness combo ever…here in Paris? Just check out this idea. A giant trampoline over the Seine. Somehow, I don’t think it will ever happen – but if it does, you can bet I’ll be first (or 3,323th) in line.
5) Motorcycle vs tractor: Last week in South Africa I met a co-worker who was out riding (of the motorized variety) when he launched over a hill to find a tractor cutting across his path. Impact occurred. Flight occurred. And it’s all caught on tape. He and the tractor driver are alright now, not so much then. The bump starts around the 0:18 marker.
6) Tour de France 2013 Route Unveiling and Videos: Earlier this week, they unveiled the 2013 TdF route (the 100th anniversary), starting in Corsica, and finishing in Paris at night (yup, seriously cool). A more textual description here.
7) In-flight Yoga classes? Apparently that’s the hope of one person at an aviation related conference. Though, that same individual must apparently fly exclusively in the Singapore Airlines First Class Suites. Not quite sure how I’d do that in row 45 in a coach seat.
8) ITU (Pro Olympic Distance Triathlon Series) unveils 2013 WCS schedule: Looks like San Diego stays on the map again (woot!), though, a bummer to see it as the only North American WCS race next year.
9) Garmin $50 Rebates on FR210/FR610 and FR910XT: Well if you’re a student, or I suppose have one in your family. Rebate form here (PDF). And yes, this is valid on Clever Training or Amazon purchases (+ usual 10% discount on Clever with the sidebar coupon code). Two weeks left, sorry for late notice, kept on forgetting.
10) 17,122 people (and counting) attempt to buy Team Rabobank: They’ve got a long way to go, but 10 euros at a time they’re slowly chipping away at it.
Sports Technology Software/Firmware Updates This Week:
Each week I quickly highlight some of the new firmware, app, software and website service updates that I see go out. If you’re a sports technology company and release an update – shoot me a quick note (just one liners is perfect, or Tweet it at me) and I’ll make mention of it here. If I don’t know about it, I won’t be able to post about it. Sound good?
Magellan Active Website Updated: Mostly bug fixes and minor improvements, though, they did add the ability to hover over a given portion of your track and see the corresponding location on the map.
Magellan Active API 1.1 Released: If you’re a developer and wish to push/pull activities to the Magellan Active site, this is probably of interest to you.
Garmin Swim Update: They’ve lowered the pool size down – as well as some other minor (but welcome) changes and fixes. Thanks Steven for the heads up on this!
Garmin Connect adds follower concept: Now you can stalk your favorite friends on Garmin Connect. This Strava-like functionality allows you to see what your friends are up to with their Garmin devices on Garmin Connect.
Suunto Moveslink was updated to 1.1.17: I didn’t see any release notes with the update, but perhaps it’s in preparation with the upcoming Suunto Ambit update in November.
iPhone Apps that were updated this week:
Thanks for reading all!