The Week in Review is a collection of both all the goodness I’ve written during the past week around the internet, as well as a small pile of links I found interesting – generally endurance sports related. I’ve often wondered what to do with all of the coolness that people write, and while I share a lot of it on Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus, this is a better forum for sending it on to y’all. Most times these different streams don’t overlap, so be on the lookout at all these places for good stuff!
So with that, let’s get into the action!
DCRainmaker.com posts this past week:
Here’s all the goodness that ended up on the main page of DCRainmaker.com this week:
Friday before: New Zealand Part II- Glaciers, peaks, long hikes…and a lot more sheep
Monday: Week in Review–January 2nd, 2012
Tuesday: New Zealand Part III- Open cockpit vintage biplane flights, and canyoning (it’s like rappelling)
Wednesday: Smart HR Strap – In Depth Review
Friday: Friday Photo of the Day (or trip, as it may be)
Stuff that I found interesting around the interwebs:
Here’s a not-so-small smattering of all the random things that I stumbled on while doing my civic duty to find the end of the Internet:
1) A great review of the Vitadock suite: This one is done in the super-detailed style review of a whole range of health and fitness related products that are part of the suite (which integrate with the iPhone/iPod), including a connected scale, body temperature sensor, blood pressure monitor, and glucose measurement system.
2) An interesting blog from Runkeeper on the massive impact from being on the featured page of the Android Market.
3) Gympact app costs you money if you skip the gym: A pretty fascinating idea here, helping to motivate you to maintain your gym visitation goals. The app actually dings you real cold hard cash if you don’t do a workout with it. And if you do the workouts? You get other peoples cash. Crazy!
4) Quarq returns to the Pro Pelaton for the 2012 year: Cool to see Quarq power meters will be ridden in the Tour this year.
5) Bike Promo Shot Photoshop Disaster: A funny site that happened to recently feature a promotional bike photo-shoot, gone wrong in the edit suite.
6) Cool interview with Editor of CyclingNews: A great interview from the NY Velocity guys with the editor of CyclingNews, good stuff.
7) Here’s what a giant artist stack of 1,200 bikes looks like: No, really, 1,200 bikes. I plan to recreate it, once I get another 1,997 bikes. Well, 1,996 if you include our wedding bike.
8) The Top 20 Rules for faster swimming: From high performance Olympic triathlon coach Joel Filliol. Some interesting tidbits in there, though most of them won’t be a surprise to many around here
10) Slowtwitch best of “What we Saw” category: It’s kinda fun to wander over and check out the What we Saw site, where folks post random (usually) cell photos from their training. While the title of the post is ‘What we noticed’, it’s really ‘What we noticed in what we saw’. Or something like that.
Just to see who’s paying attention to this post, I shall drop the small nugget here that the FR910XT starts shipping next week (reconfirmed with Garmin as well). Most vendors have received their ship-dates over the past few days (or will continue to receive them shortly), with dates ranging from January through till March.
Have a great weekend all!