I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with the link and 10% off everything coupon below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
- What are you favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @tarheeltiger Not athletic, just generic. Odd. #, 14 hours ago
- @wahoofitness Can past-RFLKT purchasers e-mail to get one, or is there cost? #, 16 hours ago
- I'm almost slightly concerned with the level of interest y'all have in this (non-starter) aforementioned lingerie giveaway/review. #, 16 hours ago
- @seeverist Multisport - I would assume that depends on definition of 'sport'. GPS, not unless we redefined GPS acronym. #, 16 hours ago
- RT @wahoofitness: @Charlerious @dcrainmakerblog we have Garmin compatible mounts in the next shipment, if you buy a RFLKT and it doesn’t in… #, 16 hours ago
- @mueymal Yeah. I'm in Seattle this week, but heard from The Girl that it's a zoo. #, 17 hours ago
- Offered free women's lingerie in exchange for doing a lingerie giveaway. Umm...no. A Lingerie In-Depth Review?!? #, 17 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (2012) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2012 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Monthly Archives: May 2011
(Note From Ray – Quick Last Minute Heads Up: Today, Friday at 1PM the Washington Post will be doing a live Q&A chat with Columbia Triathlon Winner Lindsey Jerdonek. You can quickly and easily submit questions now, so let’s show … Read More Here
A little over a week ago at the Google IO conference a company called Fossil not so quietly introduced the MetaWatch. The watch allows one to wirelessly connect to their cell phone and stream glanceable information, such as who’s calling … Read More Here
On Wednesday an application developer jumped onto the scene with what is probably the coolest new completed CompuTrainer development in years: The ability to use ANT+ sensors directly with CompuTrainer. This replaces much of the cabling that is typically required … Read More Here
This weekend was somewhat gloomy around DC weather-wise, in what continues to be a rather ‘blah’ spring. Great running weather, yes, but not ideal cycling or ‘just enjoying spring’ weather. So, we decided to make the most of it, starting … Read More Here
When you head to a race early in the darkness of a pre-race morning, one of the things you may be contemplating is where exactly to stash all the pieces of equipment you’ll need for a triathlon. This ends up … Read More Here
It was exactly a year ago this past Sunday that while taking part in the 2010 Rev3 Knoxville Triathlon Race down in Tennessee that at roughly Mile 22 on the bike course I was flung into the air from my … Read More Here
This weekend was a bit of a whirlwind – despite being one that in theory shouldn’t have been. With getting stuck working rather late downtown on Friday night, before I knew it, it was Saturday morning and time to head … Read More Here
(Quick side note: If you saw yesterday’s post regarding wireless downloading from the FR310XT straight to the web via an iPhone without a computer, I’ve updated it with new comments from Garmin. In short, they’re looking for feedback as to … Read More Here
You may remember quite a while back I showed off the Wahoo Fitness iPhone dongle. This handy dandy little white pod the size of a quarter plugs into the bottom of your iPhone/iPod and allows connections to ANT+ devices such … Read More Here
This seasons mid-week brick workouts started quite a while ago, probably about two or so months now that I think about it. Technically speaking I actually have two brick workouts a week. The second one attached to my long ride, … Read More Here