26 responses

1. Steve
    July 19, 2010

Fun stuff as always.

In my bike leg yesterday I saw a few people on the side of the road fixing flats and one guy fixing his Speedfil bottle.

Bikes look so sexy and aero in the store, but when you get to a race they have all sorts of stuff taped, velcroed, zip tied and otherwise attached to them.

Might be better if the tri bike makers just realized that triathletes need water and food, cadence sensors and the like and integrated some of this stuff into the bike.

2. Christi
    July 19, 2010

Congratulations on a great race! You did fabulous and I love the pics!

3. Jeff – DangleTheCarrot
    July 19, 2010

Congrats Ray! Looks like you had an awesome time!

4. Don
    July 19, 2010

Thanks for the review.

Congrats on the good finish!

If you aren’t going to use the Speedfill, any suggestions? Maybe even a review of drink systems for road biking / triathlon cycling?

Thanks,
    Don

5. curly su
    July 19, 2010

Great report, Ray. And awesome job. !!!

6. Coach Liz
    July 19, 2010

Great race report! I am very impressed that you were in the Elite wave. I will have to go back to that one picture and see where my wave start would have been. Lately I have been getting the last wave start if it has not been an IM race.

7. MadeUpName
    July 19, 2010

Great write-up.

15:52 for 1500m is pretty impressive, can’t imagine why you say you’re a non-swimmer!

8. Bob
    July 19, 2010

Awesome report as always. Nice time, too.

9. Audrey
    July 19, 2010

that is so solid you were the Elite Amateur Wave!!!! and you placed so well amongst those peeps. you’re a beast R-M!

10. Spokane Al
    July 20, 2010

Checklists? We don’t need no stinking checklists! – well maybe.

Congratulations on a great race. 39 min 10k – you rock.

11. jenez_world
    July 20, 2010

great effort. the hot day (and shots of people racing in this event) even made it onto the news in perth – west aust.

12. RWJ
    July 20, 2010

Awesome job again! The girl is getting to be a great photographer.

13. MaineSport
    July 20, 2010

Nice report, and that’s a strong effort. Going 2:10 is impressive, especially with the long T1 run.

14. Darren
    July 20, 2010

interesting comment about the speedfil. i was getting ready to purchase one, so i may hold off on that now.

15. Runner Leana
    July 20, 2010

Congratulations on your race! Awesome pictures. Love the transition labels. A dive start would have scared the beejezus out of me as I am a much better belly flopper than diver.

16. baker
    July 20, 2010

great race report! congrats on the finish time as well. funny- i had the same issue with my watch at the start so during the run i was asking people what time it was to try and gauge how i was doing. i thought it was really well put together. im jealous you got to run in the earlier part of the day too! it was hot!

17. SteelStatue
    July 22, 2010

Hey DC Rainmaker, I spotted you as I was volunteering at the Yellow Transition info booth on Saturday and said hello. I was excited to read your thoughts about the race and see how you did. Congrats. I wonder if you got one of these?

link to scorecard.fitness-intelligence.com

This is mine and i had a lot of fun disecting the Garmin 310 info and seeing this and how i fared against other racers. You by the way convinced me to get my Garmin 310 and even answered a question I had so thanks. Now this was my first Olympic distance race and while I am no elite I was very happy with my bike time.

Anyway let me know what you thought if you got one of these Fitness Intelligence Scorecards.

18. Rainmaker
    July 22, 2010

Thanks everyone!

Hi SteelStatue-

That’s an awesome report. Very cool! No, I didn’t seem to get one, just checked my mailbox again. :( Bummer, would love to see what it would show.

19. Amy
    July 22, 2010

Great race report! I had the same funny phrase on my bike rack too!

20. Jason
    July 22, 2010

Hey DC Rainmaker,

How would you compare the water quality of the Hudson River in the NYC tri to other races you have done?

21. Rainmaker
    August 16, 2010

Hey Jason-

Honestly…it seemed about the same. Not any better or worse than the Potomac. I guess given how quickly we dove in, swam hard (with in my case fogged/flooded goggles) and everything else, I didn’t have a lot of time to check water quality. 😉

22. efraim shaw
    October 30, 2014

Hey Ray, I just stumbled across this review while googling NYC tri Elite.
    I did 2 hours flat at an Olympic this past year, so I qualified for the elite.
    Should be fun. perhaps I’ll even qualify for my Pro license:)

23. Gabe
    July 8, 2015

barefoot or not out of the swim?

going next weekend – best

• DC Rainmaker
      July 8, 2015

I generally put on socks during the bike, but sometimes I’ll shift that (putting them on) to the run for Oly distance since it doesn’t matter too much on the bike.

• Gabe
      July 24, 2015

i ended up with barefoot out of the water and no socks for the bike and run

worked out well

it was a logistical nightmare of a race but it was an awesome race!

i had a ton of fun and great crowds.

my run suffered with the heat – but i had a good bike – 1:04 – finished in 2:20.

thanks ray for these reports.

i feel like im following your events :) i did escape from alcatraz this year as well. so much fun

what’s the next must do triathlon? paris?