Back about a month ago I got an e-mail from a reader regarding what equipment I use day to day in training and racing. I ended up putting together a quick hit-list at the time, but didn’t really do it justice. I often talk about specific solutions – such as my rear rack/hydration system, but haven’t talked holistically about all the junk in the trunk.
As anyone who ventures into the sport knows – triathlon is neither cheap, nor minimalistic when it comes to equipment. You feel like every time you go to train you’re packing for a month long trip with a minivan full of kids. It’s crazy! So all the more reason to post all the deets. Note that I’m not sponsored by anyone, so all the things I use because I like them – not because someone wants me like them. If it sucks, I say so – and if it’s great…I’m still using it. So here it goes…
- Goggles: Whichever pair I haven’t lost yet…though usually the Speedo Vanquisher
- Swimsuit: TYR Nylon Team Trainer
- Wetsuit: Blue Seventy Reaction Ironman Full Length Wetsuit
- Technique Toys: TYR Paddles, Speedo Pull Buoy, Finis Swimmers Snorkel, TYR Split Swim Fins
- Bike: Cervelo P3 (was a Cervelo P2C until recently)
- Training Wheels: Standard manufacturer wheels that came on/with bike, plus the tires that came on it
- Race Wheels: HED H3 Tubular’s
- Race Tires: Vittoria Tubular Corsa Evo CX
- Power Meter: Quarq Cinqo Compact Edition
- Cadence Sensor: Garmin GSC-10
- Hydration: Inviscid Design SpeedFil Hydration on the frame for water
- Nutrition: EFS Liquid Shot Gel for nutrition
- Rear Mount System: Beaker Concepts Hydrotail H.5
- Shoes: Shimano Triathlon Shoes
- Socks: I use (and LOVE) Balega socks. My favorite thing ever.
- Bike Shorts: A pair of Chipotle bike shorts, along with a few Pearl Izumi pairs.
- Helmet: Simple $40 Bell Alchera Road Helmet
- Race Helmet: Giro Advantage II
- Bike Computer: Garmin Edge 500
- Sunglasses: Pair of Oakley’s, they’re old…no idea what kind
- Repair Bag: 2 CO2 cartridges and controllable valve, small bike hex wrench
- Running Shoes: New Balance 817’s (increased stability)
- Socks: Balega socks (did I mention I love them?)
- Running Computer: Garmin Forerunner 310XT
- Running Shorts: Nike Dri-Fit running shorts (love them, get them at the outlet stores though cheaper)
- Running Shirt: Any dryfit/tech race shirt I have handy to run in (generally washed…)
- Hydration: Camelbak (Fairfax Model)…or just a simple water bottle if loops/track…filled with water.
- Nutrition: EFS Liquid Shot for nutrition
- Footpod for treadmill/cadence: Garmin ANT+ Footpod
- Primary Hardshell Bike Case: Performance Bike Team Case (it sucks, don’t recommend it, doesn’t last)
- Secondary Softshell Bike Case: Aerus Biospeed Bike Case (love it, but know it’ll get crushed on a plane, so bus/car only)
- Transition Bag: Extreme Terra Bag (no longer made/findable)
There ya go – a complete list of all the gear I use! Note, that I’m generally not too picky when it comes to the gear I use – most of the time I use something simply because I’ve stumbled on it and it works. Which – is all that should honestly matter when you choose gear. Especially if you’re training for a longer event such as an Ironman. Gear comfort is the number one thing that can make or break your day. Good luck!