12 responses

1. Donald
    June 28, 2008

Classic post. I love reading about your long bike rides.

As to deer vs squirrel – which type of crash would do more damage to the bike? That’s what I’d be most concerned about. And are your bears an endangered or protected species? Because I’m sure someone in the district would love to slap a felony on you if you ever hit one of those guys.

Thanks for the smiles with this post – I needed it this weekend!

2. SLB
    June 28, 2008

Nice ride, as for using a deer vs squirrel as a crumple zone…well it’s amazing what you can think of to think about!

3. Danielle in Iowa
    June 28, 2008

I have this completely irrational fear of being eaten by wild animals. If I saw Boo-Boo I would have pedaled out of there sooo fast!

4. Spokane Al
    June 28, 2008

What a great post. We have the same problem with deer up here. They are so inquisitive that they will not move until the last second.

Hot, humid and hilly – all good stuff for IM.

5. CoachLiz
    June 28, 2008

you do not want to hit a bear! A gal at the Bolder Boulder Tri last year hit a black bear and ate pavement hard. The bear was only stunned and ran into the woods. As I recall, her race was over.

Squirrel…Could get caught up under the wheel or in the fork and take you down.

Deer…watch out for antlers!

6. Kelly
    June 29, 2008

Wow… If you aren’t careful, you just might end up hitting a bear! I’m pretty sure that would be far worse than hitting a squirrel.

… But I could be wrong…

7. Jade Lady
    June 29, 2008

Unbelievable..100+ miles..u make it sound like…all in a day’s ride…

If I saw a bear, there’d be no time to pull out the camera. But…then again…who would believe me without the shot?

8. triguyjt
    June 30, 2008

your posts on bike rides are like donalds on long runs…. very entertaining stuff..

i would not want to hit anything, but i would prefer to hit it going up hill..(slight grade) that way theres not as much force and mayby both human and animal survive…but likely said humans bike would be slightly mangled)

your ironman is gonna be a helluva effort with all the biking you have done…
    do you have to ask the animal to say cheese before you snap their photo..

9. Brent Buckner
    June 30, 2008

Great workout!
    Distance, heat, hills….

10. Steve Stenzel
    June 30, 2008

Nice ride!! And CRAZY elevation chart!

Great photos too!!

11. jeanne
    June 30, 2008

I saw a bunch of geese cross the CCT this morning!

somehow that sounds lame in comparison…

12. Alice