I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10MHD) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
The DC RAINMAKER PODCAST
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @badgermcbadger No problem, done! #, 23 mins ago
- RT @MrFiestina: #LAVUELTA La Vuelta'15 on Pro Cycling Manager. La Vuelta'15 en el Pro Cycling Manager. http://t.co/2dvL11ZH5U #, 3 hours ago
- FYI: Polar rolls out previously announced v650 mapping update, plus extended 3rd party power meters support: http://t.co/tl0DQkORrX #, 4 hours ago
- Hands-on with Canyon's new Android Wear based bike computer, and whether it'll change things: http://t.co/vJVjzQhsig http://t.co/9SdJKTG4Zm #, 5 hours ago
- @TomNackaerts Bushido Smart, easily. Has dual ANT+/BLE, so far more 3rd party flexibility. #, 5 hours ago
- @cscsco In general it might be. But Tacx lineup is very strong, still got more testing to do there. #, 5 hours ago
- RT @TheRaceRadio: Sagan fined 300 CHF for “behavior which damages the image of cycling”.....UCI angry he did not stick the landing? http://t.co/2OzPEiK0kC #, Aug 29
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here's my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Winter 2014-2015 edition) - covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2015 'Gear I Use' equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here's The Girl's (my wife's) 2015 list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that...continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Wow…peace and quiet. Yesterday when I arrived at the Rec Center, I noticed they had replaced the front entry carpets with nice new ones. As I went downstairs to the pool, I thought to myself – wow, it’s quiet in the hallways. As I walked into the locker rooms – it was clean again. For the past few months, the tile floors were always wet, paper towels randomly tossed on the floor, and the soap dispensers in the shower in various states of disarray. It took a few weeks in early June to figure out what had caused the change from a ‘nice clean place’ to a less than clean place. Then I realized – kids were out of school. It wasn’t until I saw the summer camps that I realized where the influx of chaos was coming from.
Upon stepping out of the locker room to the pool – there were no screaming kids, nor running kids getting yelled at by lifeguards. There weren’t kids floating mid-lane across 14 lanes of lap swimmers, like a massive game of Frogger. Ahh…school had started again. Interestingly though, one new addition was the local swim team was back practicing again. Not sure where they went to for the summer.
But ya know what? Despite all of the madness associated with frogger while in the middle of a long set – I almost kinda miss all of the activity. In some ways, for long sets being able to look across the pool for that 1 second during each breath (alternating views every three strokes) and see something interesting broke up the monotony. Be it trying to time it breaking the surface just in time to see a kid do a huge cannonball off the diving board, or trying to beat the 4:30PM, 5:30PM, 6:30PM cutoff times for clearing out the pool to allow kids to go to the bathroom (mid-summer they instituted a policy that all kids 12 & under had to exit the pool at specified times, because they were having ‘issues’ with younger children – the problem is if you finished your set at exactly then, it was a bit of a madhouse in the locker room).
The other bummer with the end of summer is that the outside deck will be closing soon – it may have already closed, I didn’t check yesterday. It was kinda nice on slow evenings/weekends after you finished your swim to go lie in the sun and 90* weather on the deck chairs for a little while to relax. Not going to be doing that in December, that’s for sure!
But there is one last piece of good news in there – they are now having their semi-annual 14% off Rec Center passes – woohoo! Btw, who on earth decides on 14%? Was the extra $1 savings over a simple 15% sale too much to handle? At any rate….