I’m DC RAINMAKER…
I swim, bike and run. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. It’s as simple as that. Most of the time. If you’re new around these parts, here’s the long version of my story.
SUPPORT THIS SITE
Wanna help support the site? You have two options. The first is to use Clever Training with either the coupon code (DCR10JKW) or the VIP program. Both save 10%, see details by clicking below:
Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back. No cost to you, easy as pie!UK based here! Canada! Germany! France! Spain! Italy!
Catch me on Facebook
Did you know I write a weekly column over on Slowtwitch?
Check out my Product/Electronics posts in Ray’s Sports Electronics Mailbag - they are packed full of gadget goodness.
I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Below are the most popular.
- Why haven’t you yet released a review for XYZ product you mentioned months ago?
- Will you test our product before release?
- Are you willing to review or test beta products?
- Which trainer should I buy?
- Which GPS watch should I buy?
- I’m headed to Paris – what do you recommend for training or sightseeing?
- I’m headed to Washington DC – what do you recommend for training?
- I’m from out of the country and will be visiting the US, what’s the best triathlon shop in city XYZ?
- What kind of camera do you use?
- What are your least favorite countries/places?
Follow me on Twitter
- @ejls2 Debatable... #, 8 hours ago
- Week in Review: From popping tires on the Pro Cycling scene, to how to poop prior to a race...and much more: http://t.co/C9Hwfs76c3 #, 8 hours ago
- Also of note is that the tech journalists here are astoundingly pushy, like an angry Ironman mass swim start. http://t.co/awn5uYssjv #, 13 hours ago
- No new wearables from Samsung. Though, an updated VR goggle set, which some cycling apps like BKOOL have toyed with. http://t.co/yTndw6QxWL #, 13 hours ago
- At the Samsung press event for their swath of new products, starts in about 30 mins. http://t.co/vjt3Dbsc3E #, 14 hours ago
- RT @rorybrennand: @dcrainmakerblog it is true. I used to train here! Sun rising, by the beach, best place to swim ever! #, 18 hours ago
- Things I learned today: Apparently in Barcelona some (reasonably fast) women do their entire swim sets topless. http://t.co/dDYfUiEnrY #, 18 hours ago
5 Easy Steps To The Site
Here’s my most recent gadget recommendations guide (Winter 2014-2015 edition) – covering almost every category of sports gadgets out there. Looking for the equipment I use day to day? I also just put together my complete 2013 ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). And to compliment that, here’s The Girl’s (my wife’s) list. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
I enjoy explaining new things to folks – especially showing people how to get the most from their gadgets. Here’s an ongoing list of “How to” guides.
It turns our I’ve written a fair bit of stuff over the past few years – and after it disappears from my front page, a lot of it never really sees the light of day again without Google’ing skillz. Or a photographic memory…which I don’t have. I’ve taken a look back and found stuff that…continues to find a trickle of readers via web searches or forum links.
Is the bank open? Ready to withdraw.
I’m now ready to withdraw my training deposit from the bank. Hopefully the bank is open on Sunday’s. Hmmm… I’ve probably over trained for this event, in fact – I know I have. But I don’t think I over trained in a bad way. I think I’ve over trained in a way that will allow me to do ‘pretty darn well’ for my first 70.3.
I followed a Level 2 plan from the big book of Triathletes Magazine for the Half Ironman distance. On top of that, I layered in a slightly tweaked version of the Intermediate I Hal Hidgon Marathon Training Plan, because I’ve got the Marine Corps Marathon in 7 weeks. And while my running was WAY more than the HIM plan suggested, I go into tomorrow’s event with complete and total confidence on my run. Plus, even with the marathon training plan tossed in, my monthly mileage over the past few months was actually down (to 110-115 miles from 140 miles or so, except August, which was higher). I completed every single workout on the schedule, rain or shine, traveling or not, even at midnight or 5AM to get my training in. I trained 6 days a week, with quality double workouts every day. In total, here’s the numbers since April (when I first started tri training and swimming/biking):
Total Swim: 106,000 Yards
Total Bike: 1,410 Miles
Total Run: 631 Miles
With all of those deposits, I just need to redeem a short 2,200 yards swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile run tomorrow. I think I can manage that. The real question is: Can I hit my goal paces?
Oh – and one last thing – for all of you doing Ironman Wisconsin tomorrow – good luck!